Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Agree with everything said about cantona, a mixture of sky, Nike, the CL not being as big, a cup final goal vs Liverpool, turning his collar up, and utd fans having short memories have turned him nearly into a myth

decent player no doubt but not in the same league as the likes of bergkamp

Agree with everything said about cantona, a mixture of sky, Nike, the CL not being as big, a cup final goal vs Liverpool, turning his collar up, and utd fans having short memories have turned him nearly into a myth

decent player no doubt but not in the same league as the likes of bergkamp

Nonsense. I remember that season he joined Utd - they were struggling a little bit until he arrived at xmas (?). Remember at this point Utd hadn't won a title for decades. Cantona joined, and all of a sudden everything clicked for Utd - they went on to win the title by some distance, and from then went on to win.. .well, pretty much everything over the next few years, including the double twice. Cantona was the spark that kickstarted Fergie's dominance for years to come.

People were talking about Ibrahimovic winning titles... Cantona just the same. 6 titles in 7 years - one with Marseille, one with Leeds, then 4 in 5 years with Utd. The only year Utd didn't win a title while Cantona was playing for them was the season he got banned for the kung fu kick.

So in short, his influence at Utd was absolutely immense, which is why Utd fans regard him as one of their greatest ever players. Certainly there have been better players, but as a contender for "most overrated player in football history"... laughable.

David Beckham?

Very good player but ability far exagerated. out of Scholes , Keane , Giggs midfield at Man U in 90s he wasnt THAT important at United..

What about his assists?

Surely if he assisted a fair few, he was important?

I'll go with John Terry, a solid defender nothing more.

Honorary mention for Lukas Podolski.

No way. Anybody that prompted

to be made about them could never be called overrated.

Agree with some of the Cantona stuff btw. United fans really know how to exaggerate their players ability and because there is so many of them (fans) it usually works. Still a very good player mind.

Tomas Brolin

Him, Veron and Shevchenko are three stand-outs in the England-fail syndrome. Fantastic players, I'd stretch that to world class actually. But then a magnificent failure in the PL. Brolin was never a athlete and when he broke his foot it went downhill rapidly.

Theo Walcott is a good shout.

Will personally go for Paul Scholes. I just dont believe all this retrospective hype about him being one of the finest midfield players of all time. The hype was never there during his peak, he was rarely centre of attention for England, and whilst being one of the finest English midfielders of all time, I dont think he could hold a candle to someone like Xavi or Zidane.

No way. Anybody that prompted
to be made about them could never be called overrated.

:lol:

Musical merriment aside, if ever there was a player who's scoring record belies his actual ability, it's Podolski; predator against shite defences, perenially useless in the big games. Speaks volumes that he got shunted back to the goat-shaggers.

Â