Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Spurs yes - Jamie Redknapp, Tim Sherwood, Andy Sinton, Justin Edinburgh etc etc there is a book there simewhere

Spurs fans didn't even rate these players when they were with us! Redknapp was highly rated when he was at Liverpool and fit, but he never played for England when at Spurs, only managed around 50 games in 3 years and often looked unfit. Andy Sinton got his last England cap 3 years before he joined us and was not at all rated. Justin Edinburgh was often listed in worst Premier League XI's etc! You might think our players are often over rated, but the examples you gave are really terrible, as certainly during their time at Spurs, I don't remember any of them being at all particaurly rated, especially by our fans and the only one 2 play for England when with us was Sherwood and he only got a couple of caps.

I personally think a lot of people underrate him because he's not as flash a player as his off pitch image would suggest. He was world class at what he did, his passing rage and crossing ability was unbelievable and his work ethic unmatched.

The guy has 115 England caps, captained the country over 50 times and unlike the Scholes's and Shearer's of this world, never retired. Won titles in England and Spain in for the worlds 2 biggest clubs.

Add that to the way he's represented England in the Olympic and World Cup bids, I don't know what some people want...the guy is an English footballing Legend.

Darn' tootin.

Joey55 that was just a starter for ten, there are bags more - Stephen Clemence, Neil Sullivan, Rebrov, Taricchio, Nethercott, Kerslake, Howells

Again none of which were rated apart from Sullivan for one season, when he was genuinley very good. Rebrov is still listed in worst ever signings lists and was considered a flop from early in his career. You are basically listing players that weren't very god for us, that weren't rated highly by our fans or anyone else's.

The players we've had in the last 25 years that have been highly rated are the likes of Hoddle, Waddle, Campbell, Klinsmann, Ginola, Anderton, Barmby, Carr, Lineker, Gascoigne, Modric, Bale, VDV, Carrick, Berbatov, Sheringham, Parker, Keane, King and Mabbutt. You can easily be critcal of a number of those as throughout their careers they've had some bad periods, but there is no doubt that for long periods during their time with us, they all played at a very high level.

The only two that I can think of that got England recogntion they didn't deserve would be Gardener and Walker.

I think the last few years of our relative success has made alot of people forget just what a laughing stock we were for most of the Prem era. Our players and teams in general weren't rated by our fans, other fans or the media. We were shit, we knew it, other fans knew it and the media constantly let us know it.

Joey55 that was just a starter for ten, there are bags more - Stephen Clemence, Neil Sullivan, Rebrov, Taricchio, Nethercott, Kerslake, Howells

think your just naming random Spurs players now. Only Rebrov was rated out of that list and that was before he signed for Spurs. Have never seen hype about any of them players

Ashley Cole........ again.

Undisciplined, poor control, very little composure, not especially intelligent (in the footballing sense).... best full back in the world???!??

Give him a job, one-on-one, man mark or focus on the winger he can be very effective.

When he doesn't have that job to do, he's a liability...... Yet he's constantly touted as "the best in the world".

Mental!

he was the best left back in the world but his form has massively dipped in last 18 months think it could be lack of pace. Due to lack of top left backs at moment he is probably still top 5.

Lahm for me is the best full back in the world and fact he is so brilliant on either side

Im sorry Gareth Bale is the greatest player of all time in any sport :D but agree Spurs are the worst for overrating by media. for example last season some members of press were saying King was as good as Mcgrath(comparison was because of similar injuries)

That was Glaston, wasnt it? :?

Glaston may have said it, he sure as hell has the record for madness to come out with it, but to be fair to Zatman I remember hearing it in the media myself. Certainly heard it from a couple of commentators on MOTD, Redknapp himself made the comparision more than once, and I'm fairly sure there were were comparisions along those lines in the papers too.

he was the best left back in the world but his form has massively dipped in last 18 months think it could be lack of pace. Due to lack of top left backs at moment he is probably still top 5.

Lahm for me is the best full back in the world and fact he is so brilliant on either side

agree with you zatman, he's absolutely superb, i wish he was english

Has everything you need in a top LB. Pace, works hard to get forward and back to defend. Rarely ever dives in and makes his man try and beat him. His strength isn't exactly special, but in terms of full backs he is pretty strong.

Doesn't surprise me at all that both Ronaldo and Messi have really struggled to get the better of him when playing Chelsea.

Â