Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Maybe not the most over-rated player in history...

Granted i've not seen that much of him, so maybe i'm completely wrong, but whenever i've seen Roberto Carlos play I always thought he was incredibly over-rated!

I know that free-kick was amazing...before anyone posts it!

Agreed. Although was young when he was in his prime. Maybe I don't like left backs. :lol:

You wouldn't be saying that if he played for Barcelona instead of Real. :P

David Beckham?
I direct you to this:

phenomenal

Take the goal against Greece out of the equation and I think
is my favourite David Beckham moment. Technically it was an assist, but he basically scored that goal. It is as about as good a pass as it is possible to make.

Beckham is a legend. I've never watched a match where I've seen someone so driven to succeed and such a will to win. It's inspirational. That doesn't even do it justice, he was everywhere that day. I think it's my favourite ever individual performance. Pure heart. :)

Absolutely. It is easy to forget just how shit England were that day, well, everybody except for Beckham. The second half performance, and especially the last twenty minutes or so he was playing like a man possessed. From about

in that highlights video you can almost see that he had decided that there was no way England were going to lose that day no matter how badly everybody else was playing. Greece were a decent side at the time (that was basically the start of their run to being champions of Europe in 2004) but Beckham just dominated the midfield towards the end of that match. The nature and the timing of the goal was pure Hollywood, and I guess that is what people think of when they think of David Beckham now days, but everything leading up to that goal was what I think of when I reflect on his career. His work rate, his passion, his entire attitude to the game. He was born with a god given talent, he was one of the best crossers of a ball the game has ever seen and his range of passing and dead ball delivery was pretty good too, but the fact that he didnt just think that whipping in half a dozen tasty crosses every week was enough is his real strength. To this day he remains one of my favourite ever players and the fact that he was part of one of the greatest midfield quartets (Beckham, Scholes, Keane & Giggs) the game has ever seen is no accident.

Granted i've not seen that much of him, so maybe i'm completely wrong, but whenever i've seen Roberto Carlos play I always thought he was incredibly over-rated!

Agreed. Although was young when he was in his prime. Maybe I don't like left backs. :lol:

:D:D

David Beckham?
I direct you to this:

phenomenal

is my favourite David Beckham moment. Technically it was an assist, but he basically scored that goal. It is as about as good a pass as it is possible to make.

Beckham is a legend. I've never watched a match where I've seen someone so driven to succeed and such a will to win. It's inspirational. That doesn't even do it justice, he was everywhere that day. I think it's my favourite ever individual performance. Pure heart. :)

Absolutely. It is easy to forget just how shit England were that day, well, everybody except for Beckham. The second half performance, and especially the last twenty minutes or so he was playing like a man possessed. From about

in that highlights video you can almost see that he had decided that there was no way England were going to lose that day no matter how badly everybody else was playing. Greece were a decent side at the time (that was basically the start of their run to being champions of Europe in 2004) but Beckham just dominated the midfield towards the end of that match. The nature and the timing of the goal was pure Hollywood, and I guess that is what people think of when they think of David Beckham now days, but everything leading up to that goal was what I think of when I reflect on his career. His work rate, his passion, his entire attitude to the game. He was born with a god given talent, he was one of the best crossers of a ball the game has ever seen and his range of passing and dead ball delivery was pretty good too, but the fact that he didnt just think that whipping in half a dozen tasty crosses every week was enough is his real strength. To this day he remains one of my favourite ever players and the fact that he was part of one of the greatest midfield quartets (Beckham, Scholes, Keane & Giggs) the game has ever seen is no accident.

Couldn't agree more.

I preferred Real Madrid back then, they had Ronaldo. He was my favourite player.

I'm sure in the future, it will probably change again. I only support AVFC.

David Beckham?

I direct you to this:

phenomenal

That....was.....sublime

David Beckham?
I direct you to this:

phenomenal

Couldn't agree more.

+1 Well said.

I preferred Real Madrid back then, they had Ronaldo. He was my favourite player.

Fair enough. I honestly thought Barcelona were your second team though the way you go on about them. :P

Fair enough. I honestly thought Barcelona were your second team though the way you go on about them. :P

Hmm they sort of are.

I have one team. One team that will always remain the same. A millions miles above any other team.

I then just watch teams based pretty much on players. Ronaldo used to be my hero, so I'd watch Real Madrid any time he'd play. I guess it's the same Messi with Barcelona. Then you add in the fact they are on the TV every week so I barely miss a game and they have absolutely awesome players surrounding Messi which makes the football brilliant to watch, it sort of adds every thing I like into one basket, so this is about as close it will come to a geniune '2nd team' but if Messi were to leave Barca, would I watch them every week? honestly, No. Would I watch Messi every week? Nope. So currently, there is just a perfect match which I love to watch. It'll change. :(

Recently someone asked me who I supported, and I said 'no-one' I just 'look out' for Villa results :( - never used to be like that.

If a televised Villa game against Bolton clashed with Barca v Madrid in the CL I know which one I'd be watching (the latter)

Beckham an English legend? How many England Legends are there? If Beckham is one its going to be a pretty long list imo...

Really?

We're talking about the same David Beckham right? The one whom the entire nation used to pin their hopes on time after time after time, despite having the likes of Scholes and Owen in the squad too? He often came through too, despite the opinion of the few.

Remarkable player. In my lifetime only Shearer and indeed Owen have come close to having the same impact for England.

Gerrard still remains the only opposition player i've ever seen clapped off by the majority of the Holte end in recent years. I agree with V4E's post about his strengths being typical English qualities, but you could say the same about virtually all of the great English players down the ages.

Which game was this :?: Was it opening day of 07/08

Gerrard still remains the only opposition player i've ever seen clapped off by the majority of the Holte end in recent years. I agree with V4E's post about his strengths being typical English qualities, but you could say the same about virtually all of the great English players down the ages.

Which game was this :?: Was it opening day of 07/08

I can assure you no one clapped the cheating word removed off that day, after he dived over Petrov's leg to win a free kick, which he scored from!

Beckham for me. People talk about him being an England legend but apart from greece and the germany 5-1 game i cant think of single game where he stood out. And on top of that he got sent off against argentina, bottled a challenge against brazil which led to their goal and completely blazed a penalty against portugal.

Beckham an English legend? How many England Legends are there?

As many as an individual wants and limited only by their age and frame of reference.

Someone who watched the 1966 final probably wouldn't consider him, as they have far more impressive memories and players to call on.

If you are a 15 year old England fan then who exactly should you consider your 'England Legends'?

Or should you just not be allowed to have any because they weren't as good as some have been in the past?

one person who could of been a England legend was paul gascoigne, woulda loved to have seen more him in a England shirt he really was a big tournament player. In 1990 WC and Euro 96 he was outstanding. We never qualified in 94 and think is career sadly went downhill after 96 :(

one of very few England players to play in 2 semi finals at majors. and was just an inch away from putting us through to WC final when he slid in at back post................ ooo if only he just reached it

Â