U2 Named best band of the last 25 years

tonyh29

Arguably it's a pointless accolade but

"Irish rock band U2 have been named by readers of Q magazine as the greatest act of the past quarter of a century. "

discuss ...

personally i like their music and they've always put on a good show when I've seen them .. trying to think of a band who I could feasible "vote" for over them ?

I'd love it to be true but I somehow doubt it is but at one concert Bono was doing his preaching bit , he stood on stage clicking his fingers and said "Everytime I click my fingers a child in Africa dies " to which someone shouted out "well stop clicking your fu**ing fingers then"

as a U2 related quiz question ..who is this ?

2d6mq95.jpg

no cheating now ....

A story I have told before, but one of my earliest memories of music was Radio one having a poll for the greatest singles of all time to celebrate new year in 1990 (me being born in 1979) and the results of that poll said that two of the three best singles of all time were by Bros. **** Bros.

I learned at a very young age that polls on music tend to be full of shite, especially if they are compiled by idiots. Now I dont hate U2 as it seems fashionable to in certain circles, I think The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are truly great records and they fit into that time scale but are they the best band of the past quarter century? I dont think so. They are a decent stadium rock band, I dont think they have been especially influential though. I'd argue strongly that band like Nirvana did more in four years than U2 managed in their career to date. And I like U2.

nah, not in my opinion. Not that I can really proffer up a suggestion, it's so arbitrary and subjective. The 'oldest' band that i still listen to that is still going is probably Foo Fighters I suppose. I listen to older bands that are now defunct, and newer bands which haven't produced much material, but meh. These polls are daft etc, same for books and films, so subjective and will constantly change.

my favourite band changes every day though oddly enough has never been the hives ;)

They've written some memorable songs, some solid pop rock tunes....but even when they first broke on the scene, it all seemed a bit pretentious. Even their attempts at sounding Down-to-Earth seem contrived.

They are a corporate monstrosity now, and I don't have any time for them at all...

I think it's everything else about U2 that so naffs people off.

They are fantastically tax efficient, whilst moaning at Govt's who spend our tax money, that they don't do it to suit their agenda. Still, it's easy to moan about poverty when you own collectively more castles than I do shoes.

The Chilis have shat on everything U2 have done in the last 25 years.

But as The Rev said above, music polls are generally full of shit.

Best thing about U2 is the South Park episode about Bono.

Arguably it's a pointless accolade but

"Irish rock band U2 have been named by readers of Q magazine as the greatest act of the past quarter of a century. "

what? better than S Club 7, Steps & One Direction?

its a crazy world we live in.

The Chilis have shat on everything U2 have done in the last 25 years.

But as The Rev said above, music polls are generally full of shit.

Best thing about U2 is the South Park episode about Bono.

Did you know that the Chilis are from California? It's strange, you think they'd mention it in one of their songs.

IMO Radiohead are by far the best band of the last 25 years. It is quite remarkable that they have produced four albums that could genuinely be considered the greatest of that period (The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows).

I'd love it to be true but I somehow doubt it is but at one concert Bono was doing his preaching bit , he stood on stage clicking his fingers and said "Everytime I click my fingers a child in Africa dies " to which someone shouted out "well stop clicking your fu**ing fingers then"

Myth.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bono.asp

Myth.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bono.asp

I **** love Snopes.

A terrible example to the people who buy Q or who visit their website.

U2 have sounded the same over 25 years for sure: safe, boring and utterly pretentious. The music they serve up is heavily produced and middle of the road pop-rock.

Yes the Chili Peppers now seem to be past their best but everything they have done has surpassed that of U2 on a technical level. Blood Sugar Sex Magik fused elements of Rock, Funk, Soul, Blues, Jazz and Rap among other elements and brought them into the consciousness of people not normally exposed to that style of music. U2 on the other hand is music for people who don't know anything about music...!

Â