U2 Named best band of the last 25 years

tonyh29

I'd certainly argue U2 aren't diverse within their own style.

Whilst I love delay effects on piano and guitars it became the norm for the guitar hook of a U2 song to have it.

Elevation and beautiful day are fizzy pop jumped up crap. In fact that entire album is turd.

U2 are pretty irrelevant post 2000. Certainly since 2000 coldplays material destroys them.

U2 early stuff is better agreed.

Radiohead would be a much closer battle and have shaken up the music industry a lit more.

Whilst Bono is on his quest to become Geldoff mark 2. Radiohead offer a pay what you like for their album wholly downloadable online.

The most painful experience of my life was going to U2. That's not a piss-take; I mean actual, physical legitimate pain.

My lil' sister was obsessed with them, so for her 18th B'day my folks bought her and a friend two tickets to see U2 play Twickenham (fair few years back, this was). Her friend bailed at the last minute, so I was asked if I wanted to go as it was just down the road from me (my family are all up in Yorkshire) and I figured why the heck not? I'm not desperately interested in U2, but I've got one of the "Best of's..." kicking about somewhere and I reasoned I might like the support (as it transpired, Doves - who I very much do like - were one of the support acts so that was filed under the win column).

Anywho, my sister is desperate to get there early so we can get a spot near the stage. 11:00am to be precise, and the queue already stretched around the stadium. Now, I hadn't bothered to check the weather report for the day, so I missed the announcement that this was going to be one of the hottest recorded days in British history. What followed was as close to torture as I think I'll ever come.

For 3 hours we were huddled like cattle twixt steel grids, underneath the midday freaking sun with **** all cover and **** all sunscreen. I wound up trying to hide my head in the collar of my (black!) t-shirt, but I couldn't escape the sensation of being slow-cooked.

By the time we got in, I was red. And not in the oh-so-hilariously jokey way that people who come back from their holidays say "Ooh, I look like a lobster!"; I was actually, literally bright red. My skin looked like a **** carapace.

But the pain, oh that didn't come until the next day. I couldn't move an inch without incredible, unbearable pain and was vomiting intermittently. I spent about £30 on suncare and cooling lotions and went through them in a day, no exaggeration. That episode of Family Guy where Stewie gets sunburn? That was me. Actually, properly me. It was over a week before my body returned to some semblance of normalcy.

Sunstroke isn't a **** joke, people.

I queued at Celtic Park to see them in 93 from about 10 am

Had the exact opposite, howling gales and pissing down all day, and this was in august

Not a great experience but the concert itself was aweso

E and we were right at the front

Had the exact opposite, howling gales and pissing down all day, and this was in august

It was also in Glasgow. You should have seen it coming.

It was also in Glasgow. You should have seen it coming.

Yeah should have

And the area around Celtic park makes Aston look like Knightsbridge

Nicest bestest thing I can think of that is U2 related

51eBwwNDuPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amen to that.

As to whether they are or aren't - not in my book, nowhere near, but lotos of people like 'em. But who cares. It's just publicity for Q magazine, really.

Joshua Tree was very good and some of their really early stuff was decent. They just went up their own orifices pretty quickly and became dreadful. They've done now't half decent for a very long time.

Joshua Tree

i remember when the album came out I always skipped past "bullet the blue sky"

Now I think it's the best track on the album

don't know if it means my music tastes have changed or that I've grown bored of the more commercial / dull tracks of that Album "streets have no name" "With or Without You" etc ?

Â