U2 Named best band of the last 25 years

tonyh29

U2 have sounded the same over 25 years for sure: safe,

and yet some "experts" are saying that Achtung Baby was totally different to anything before it :confused:

though I know nothing about music according to you :winkold: and I'm probably not really qualified to say this but to my ears Achtung baby doesn't sound anything like the Joshua tree ....

Chillis have been mentioned a few times but people are aware that they were treated within the music industry as a joke to start with , It is the same funk rock over and over. The same instrumentation. The same beat. Nothing changes ....

now despite that i don't' mind a lot of their music but with lyrics such as

Compare us to a ferris WHEEL

Just be sure of what you want to STEAL

My disenchanted DIPLOMAT

Asleep inside the LAUNDROMAT

Hop along to the cowboy BEAT

When I feel your fire jump up to MEET

I think even at his pretentious best Bono is a better lyricist than Keidis ...

now i know it's trendy to bash / knock U2 but they must have been doing something right to have shifted 150 million + records ??

These experts you refer to, are they also musicians or merely failed-musicians who turn their hands to journalism? :lol: At the end of the day I'm not saying either band are up there with the best of them but it's a joke if anyone thinks U2 are technically better than the Chilis; Hillel Slovak, John Frusciante and Flea are truly great musicians and play varied styles of music unlike those portrayed by U2. You only have to look at the new ground Frusciante has taken since his departure and his many solo albums indeed a level up technically from the Chilis and an infinite amount above U2.

Ah you quote lyrics from Stadium Arcadium…their worst album by far (imo), and not the greatest example of lyrical dexterity at all; however you can find good lyrics for example on The Zephyr Song, many on the album Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Under the Bridge has good lyrics, notably about real-life drug addiction (Kiedis) But if you noted my post I never actually made comment about lyrics only the music as being technically better than U2.

On this ‘musical’ point, the Chilis aren’t just about the same beat, you are wrong as they mixed that up on the aforesaid Blood Sugar Sex Magik where they infused music which had a different beat and tempo notably Jazz and Blues. I did say this already but the point and indeed fact was obviously lost.

U2 have shifted so many records due to marketing machines and being safe and it's exactly the same reason why the Chili Peppers shifted so much after Under the Bridge where many housewives loved it's seemingly innocent sound but where later disgusted at the sexual content of songs like Sir Psycho Sexy etc.

At the end of the day I'm not saying either band are up there with the best of them but it's a joke if anyone thinks U2 are technically better than the Chilis; Hillel Slovak, John Frusciante and Flea are truly great musicians and play varied styles of music unlike those portrayed by U2.

A persons 'technical ability' has never had a bearing on their ability to write quality songs from what I can see

Otherwise, we wouldn't have the RHCP would we ?

Start at 3:28 and wait for 3:38 for some truly great bass playing

Truly great...seriously?! Besides any credibility for that song most likely is the result of Dylan.

The song is almost a gospel standard tune and hence the footnotes for this were written long ago. Off the top of my head you want great bass playing fusing gospel, country, rock, bluegrass etc then listen to The Band and notably the parts played by Rick Danko.

Here Flea, pretty much plays more notes in ninety seconds than through the entirety of that U2 song -

And from one extreme to the other (the bass here is so much better than the U2 song from a technical point of view: more notes, swirling around the percussion and interlaced perfectly with the guitar) -

Funk (after the initial 0.27) -

Well although I can't stand U2, I listened to Mr Shears track with an open mind. It reminded me of Tammy Wynette and had all the energy of one of her numbers. In the early 70's,we used to play at a'rock pub' on the corner of Navigation Street which was then called The Alhambra. When the band had finished playing, the manager would play some appalling dirge, at full volume, on the house PA to encourage the audience to leave.

That track would have worked wonders. (only IMO of course)

I didn't think it would be possible to make a mistake on an Adam Clayton bassline but the link I posted shows that he is so crap that he can. Why they left it on the finished article is anyone's guess. Have a listen again if you didn't catch it, he thinks the song is changing chord, goes for it, realises his blunder and skips back.

Truly great...seriously?! Besides any credibility for that song most likely is the result of Dylan.

The song is almost a gospel standard tune and hence the footnotes for this were written long ago. Off the top of my head you want great bass playing fusing gospel, country, rock, bluegrass etc then listen to The Band and notably the parts played by Rick Danko.

Here Flea, pretty much plays more notes in ninety seconds than through the entirety of that U2 song -

And from one extreme to the other (the bass here is so much better than the U2 song from a technical point of view: more notes, swirling around the percussion and interlaced perfectly with the guitar) -

Funk (after the initial 0.27) -

Truly shit mate! Sarcasm just doesn't translate sometimes :(

I'm struggling to spot what's comedy and what's plain bizarre tonight.

Is somebody really arguing some music is better because it has more notes in it?

Bed early for me I think.

You have to hope he's being tongue in cheek :shock:

Bono is the biggest c*** of the last 25 years. U2 are an absolute abomination of a band though. Best band of the last 25 years my arse, I'd actually put them in 7,682 place, between Colour Me Badd and Las Ketchup.

Bono is the biggest c*** of the last 25 years. U2 are an absolute abomination of a band though. Best band of the last 25 years my arse, I'd actually put them in 7,682 place, between Colour Me Badd and Las Ketchup.

I condemn you for your faint praise

Â