U2 Named best band of the last 25 years

tonyh29

U2 on the other hand is music for people who don't know anything about music...!
You were going so well up to that point. I hate it when people trot out that line.

I don't much like U2, and I like the Chilli Peppers even less - but I wouldn't accuse the fans of either band of knowing nothing about music. We simply have different tastes.

U2 have sounded the same over 25 years for sure: safe,

and yet some "experts" are saying that Achtung Baby was totally different to anything before it :confused:

though I know nothing about music according to you :winkold: and I'm probably not really qualified to say this but to my ears Achtung baby doesn't sound anything like the Joshua tree ....

Chillis have been mentioned a few times but people are aware that they were treated within the music industry as a joke to start with , It is the same funk rock over and over. The same instrumentation. The same beat. Nothing changes ....

now despite that i don't' mind a lot of their music but with lyrics such as

Compare us to a ferris WHEEL

Just be sure of what you want to STEAL

My disenchanted DIPLOMAT

Asleep inside the LAUNDROMAT

Hop along to the cowboy BEAT

When I feel your fire jump up to MEET

I think even at his pretentious best Bono is a better lyricist than Keidis ...

now i know it's trendy to bash / knock U2 but they must have been doing something right to have shifted 150 million + records ??

IMO Radiohead are by far the best band of the last 25 years. It is quite remarkable that they have produced four albums that could genuinely be considered the greatest of that period (The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows).

I was with you up until In Rainbows got mentioned. Awful crap that was.

Yes the Chili Peppers now seem to be past their best but everything they have done has surpassed that of U2 on a technical level. Blood Sugar Sex Magik fused elements of Rock, Funk, Soul, Blues, Jazz and Rap among other elements and brought them into the consciousness of people not normally exposed to that style of music.

You forgot codfunk. The Chili's speciality dish. Best served IGNORED

Both U2 and The Chillis produce woefull crap. The Chillis I particularly dislike due to that period around the time they released "By The Way" when every person under the age of 30 liked them. **** Off.

It's middle of the road music, for middle of the road people who like the re-assurance of listening to a popular band because they can't be bothered to go and find a music taste.

U2's made some really good songs, but the rest is just boring. Nothing that annoys me, just doesn't catch me at all. Decent, not great, and certainly not the best band in the last 25 years for me. But then again, there haven't been many great bands in the last 20 years or so. IMO there've only been 2, and a few decent ones. And both hade their heights somewhere between 81 and 97.

U2 are a very good live band but to me a lot of their staying power is down to Bono meeting with every world leader and not down to their talent

Aye that is spot on

clearly didn't work for The Special A.K.A. :winkold:

Don't like em at all, boring and predictable. A bit like Bon Jovi.

Cruel.

Every Bon Jovi song sounds like the previous one, bubble gum rock at its worst. The only difference between Bon Jovi, West Life, Take That and Boy Zone is that BJ play instruments.

U2 at least grew from the rawness of Boy/October/War, to the polished Joshua Tree and diverse Rattle & Hum and onwards.

I'm not their biggest fan, but I think that they have improvised and diversified over the years, and produced a lot of music that has merit.

Every Bon Jovi song sounds like the previous one, bubble gum rock at its worst. The only difference between Bon Jovi, West Life, Take That and Boy Zone is that BJ play instruments.

I'm pretty sure Barlow plays the piano, otherwise he wouldnt have been able to write all those songs

Other than that I totally agree. They're all the same

Â