Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

2 hours ago, ccfcman said:

Enjoyed the match. McCarthy was puke,

Reply -> He did what he always does, the square root of **** all. Terrible player, Koeman will have him in the bomb squad soon.

Edited by villa89

Ireland go out tomorrow I think MON has to be sacked, especially when lesser squads like Iceland, Albania, Hungary, Norn Ireland have all punched above their weight and we were gutless last week

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ireland go out tomorrow I think MON has to be sacked, especially when lesser squads like Iceland, Albania, Hungary, Norn Ireland have all punched above their weight and we were gutless last week

Delaney gave him and Keane new contracts just before tournament so can't see them being sacked.

Trapp survived after 2012 after all.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well given that he, and Roy Keane, are going to be signing a new contracts after the Euro's he's not going to be sacked. He's there until we fail to qualify for the World Cup regardless of what happens tonight.

As for tonight we have a chance if we can out work them but Conté is the best manager in the tournament and I can see him being able to nullify our terrible attack.

Got the wrong O'Neill ;)

Really though Ireland just weren't brave enough against a weak Sweden and it means the team will have to beat Italy to go through. Fortunately Italy have nothing to play for and they may rest a few players given that Spain are in the next round. If MON sets them out to attack they could get something but if they sit back and let Italy knock it about for 90 minutes then they deserve to go out.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

1 hour ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Got the wrong O'Neill ;)

Really though Ireland just weren't brave enough against a weak Sweden and it means the team will have to beat Italy to go through. Fortunately Italy have nothing to play for and they may rest a few players given that Spain are in the next round. If MON sets them out to attack they could get something but if they sit back and let Italy knock it about for 90 minutes then they deserve to go out.

I don't think it was a lack of bravery against Sweden, I think it was a lack of legs.

They looked knackered. They played very well until then.

Italy will hopefully start the kit-man now the way the draw has panned out :)  It's the best we could have hoped for really.  We just need to go out and do it now.  No more excuses.  If we can get 20 minutes out of Walters then get 20 minutes out of him.  No point wrapping him in bubble wrap for the flight home the next day.  Yes this will still be a motivated Italy with something to prove to the starters but they're NOT the starters for a reason, and they'll never have played together in that starting 11 before.

I think we will have to go back to the old Jack Charlton school of football tonight (by the way Jack had more talented players than we have now and didn't necessarily require hoofball. He liked it though:D)..... Not the way I like to watch football, but considering Belgium's supremely talented attacking players failed to break Italy down, I don't see what hope we have of getting it on the deck and passing it about. We are Ireland not Spain.

If Walters is going to play, start him and see how long he lasts. If it's 10 minutes then so be it. No point in giving him 10 minutes at the end when he could have lasted 15 or 20. Use him as the target, get men around the breaks (not like Saturday - Hoof to Long against 2/3 Belgians with the nearest green shirt 30 yards away). And then hope and pray for lucky deflections, goals that squirm under the Italians keepers body after hitting Long in the back of the head from an attempted Italian clearance, a couple of Italian red cards, defenders doing a Paul McGrath vs Italy in '94 and whatever else the big man is willing throw our way tonight!! And most of all 3 points to take us through!

Maybe get Roy to roll back the years and play tonight - He owes us a few games at a major tournament.... Anything that helps, I'll take it!!

Put 'em under pressure! Come on Ireland!!

The pitch is atrocious aswell.  There's a new one being flown over from the Netherlands to be installed right after our game.  That will benefit us because Italy are far more technical.  Anything we can do to make it descend into a battle is good.  No denying we're massive underdogs though, in case someone reading this thinks we're trying to delude ourselves.

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Maybe get Roy to roll back the years and play tonight - He owes us a few games at a major tournament.... Anything that helps, I'll take it!!

8CBD9274-AE42-4384-AF02-4D8CF3D2326A_zps

• Like 2

Â