Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

we have a better squad than Sweden as mentioned before but that was poor selection by MON. Daryl Murphy makes Heskey look prolific at top level and gets a call up. Pity about Arter he could have been good option and will never ever understand what Stephen Ward and Quinn offers

Just took the quiz on the independent.ie webiste about Ireland at major tournaments and failed miserably.... 

However, I did learn that Villa have provided the most players to Ireland squads for major tournaments!!:thumb:

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Just took the quiz on the independent.ie webiste about Ireland at major tournaments and failed miserably.... 

However, I did learn that Villa have provided the most players to Ireland squads for major tournaments!!:thumb:

not that shocked. was at least 4 in the World Cup 94 squad and think 2 in 2012(3 if want count Robbie Keane loan spell that season)

The Republic of Ireland manager, Martin O'Neill, has apologised for using the word "queers".

He was speaking in Cork Opera House at a send-off event for the Republic's team last week.

The Kilrea man joked that two backroom staff accompanied him and assistant boss Roy Keane to the Super Bowl in the USA so that people would not think that he and Keane were "queers".

He apologised on Monday, describing the remark as "crass".

He added: "If I have made inappropriate comments, I obviously apologise for it.

"I will attempt for the rest of my time here not to make such inappropriate comments.

"Almost the minute I had said it, I realised that I should not have said that, absolutely. I should not have said it," he is quoted as saying.

A spokesperson for Ireland's only gay football team, the Dublin Devils, has described O'Neill's comments as "hurtful, unhelpful and disappointing" but has welcomed the apology.

Part of the problem

Club chairman John McAree said: "The club was disappointed to hear O'Neill's comments as they do nothing to help with the ongoing issue of homophobia in the world of football - in fact, his comments are part of the problem.

"This is the wrong message to send to the LGBTI [lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and/or intersex] community a week before the Euro 2016 championships.

"O'Neill is an idol to many young gay teens all over Ireland. His comments will make them feel isolated, confused and different.

"Many young LGBTI men and women play football at local level and support Ireland at International level.

"Many club members from the Dublin Devils will be in France next week wearing the Green Jersey supporting and shouting for Ireland.

Seems legit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36469497

yeah saw it other day and surprised no media coverage about it, MON still has his mates

in fairness FAI did what any company would do in such a PR disaster and reward him with a new contract :lol:

14 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Some epic bantz from MON/Keano down south last week, those new contracts are well earned.

Yeh you just can't beat a bit of homophobia! To be fair, he's just an auld geezer but still, pure FAIlure levels of egg on face.

"He started Daryl Murphy in the big games against Scotland and Germany," he said.

"We were hopeless in the Aviva against Scotland because of team selection and because of the kind of game he wants to play. It's very conservative, long ball stuff.

"I mean he signed Emile Heskey twice."

really hard to disagree with Dunphy here also valid points in article about Keane

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/euro-2016-teams/republic-of-ireland/he-signed-emile-heskey-twice-eamon-dunphy-slams-roy-keane-and-martin-oneill-34784283.html

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just heard MON on Talksport praising Zlatan...didn't he used to regularly slag him off during major tournaments when he did punditry for BBC?

Yes he did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just heard MON on Talksport praising Zlatan...didn't he used to regularly slag him off during major tournaments when he did punditry for BBC?

he probably never heard of him at the time

Â