Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

i do kind of agree, the rule changes according to UEFA will be aimed at developing the likes of iceland and NI but the reality is they want the likes of ROI there, with their travelling fans, their global appeal and more importantly the money that comes with it 

apart from Holland this has been a perfect scenario for them

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i do kind of agree, the rule changes according to UEFA will be aimed at developing the likes of iceland and NI but the reality is they want the likes of ROI there, with their travelling fans, their global appeal and more importantly the money that comes with it 

Isn't "most of the big teams along with some fun smaller teams and a few teams that we haven't seen before" a pretty ideal scenario for anybody looking forward to the tournament?

4 hours ago, villa4europe said: i do kind of agree, the rule changes according to UEFA will be aimed at developing the likes of iceland and NI but the reality is they want the likes of ROI there, with their travelling fans, their global appeal and more importantly the money that comes with it 

Isn't "most of the big teams along with some fun smaller teams and a few teams that we haven't seen before" a pretty ideal scenario for anybody looking forward to the tournament?

No, the euros was a perfectly tight little tournament that unlike the World Cup seemed to have great competition during the group stage, they've risked a huge amount by messing with it, hopefully based on one of the best qualifying rounds ever it'll work but I'm still not convinced it will

The cynic in me can't look past anything UEFA do as being for financial benefit, more teams equals more money and an increased chance that the bigger teams will qualify (I'm sure England not qualifying was a driver in all this) the multiple country format for 2020 sounds great on paper but in reality is probably being driven by really poor corporate sales in Poland and Ukraine

• 4 months later...

McShane. Is he still getting International caps?

Even considering how shit we've (Villa) been in recent seasons, i'd still rate McShane as the worst premier league player I've ever seen.

Elliott got bad injury so looks like he's out of the euros.

People saying Given's going to be number 1 for that, surely not he's barely played a game this season. Does Randolph not get many games for them? What about Kieran Westwood who's always been a good keeper to me.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Elliott got bad injury so looks like he's out of the euros.

People saying Given's going to be number 1 for that, surely not he's barely played a game this season. Does Randolph not get many games for them? What about Kieran Westwood who's always been a good keeper to me.

Butland is out for season so Given will probably play for Stoke if fit. Elliot is an even bigger blow for Newcastle as he has been their best player this season

O'Neill doesnt seem to rate Westwood or Forde so I imagine it be Randolph No.1

Edited by Zatman

MON fell out with Westwood apparently at S'land years ago, surprising I know to hear that O'Neill holds grudges. I'd have had Elliott starting both games and No.1 at the Euros before the injury. Now I'd put Westwood as No.1, Randolph has looked solid enough any time he's played for Ireland, but he's played more this season for his country then for his club.

Duffy/Clark combo looked good Friday night.

• 1 month later...

Nearly there now. Looking forward to seeing Netherlands at Lansdowne tomorrow night, they've been a bogey team of ours many a time over the years so it'll be good to remind them that we're going to France and they're staying at home :P

Have a feeling the dodgy keeping situation will catch up with MON sooner or later. Supposedly Dundalk's keeper is in the mix to make an appearance tomorrow night.  

Edited by Corcaigh

2 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Nearly there now. Looking forward to seeing Netherlands at Lansdowne tomorrow night, they've been a bogey team of ours many a time over the years so it'll be good to remind them that we're going to France and they're staying at home :P

Have a feeling the dodgy keeping situation will catch up with MON sooner or later. Supposedly Dundalk's keeper is in the mix to make an appearance tomorrow night.  

Any excuse to post this:

Arguably Big Mick's finest hour given the ridiculous quality in Holland's team. Incredible how they didn't score in that game with some of the bad finishing.

Pretty sure that was the game where LVG just gave us near the end, put 5 forwards on the pitch and told Dutch midfield to just hit long balls up to them. :lol:

4 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Rogers is decent keeper but he is 34 and unproven at this level while MON(stubborn as always)  wont play Westwood the in-form keeper and crucially only keeper that is a regular. allegedly over a petty feud that happened at Sunderland

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 15:19, Stevo985 said:

Ireland got to the last Euros, when it was harder to qualify, with arguably a worse squad. Surely that's a bigger achievement?

Indeed it was. But for some reason (probably because he sues anyone who criticises him) MON enjoy's a reptuation in the media that's on a par with Alex Ferguson despite clearly being a pretty shit manager. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland lose every game in the group pahse wuite comfortably. The only chance we have is if there are issues with the other teams like Italy's lack of CM's or Belgian in-fighting. If Zlatan can be arsed he'll tear Ireland apart.   

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Westwood is a little bit busy at the moment though so can't play him anyway.

even before that he was playing Given or Forde who is Millwall reserve keeper ahead of him

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Indeed it was. But for some reason (probably because he sues anyone who criticises him) MON enjoy's a reptuation in the media that's on a par with Alex Ferguson despite clearly being a pretty shit manager. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland lose every game in the group pahse wuite comfortably. The only chance we have is if there are issues with the other teams like Italy's lack of CM's or Belgian in-fighting. If Zlatan can be arsed he'll tear Ireland apart.   

I agree on his reputation but as much as I hate him I do think he has a bit more spirit in the squad and this is a better team than 2012 Long, Coleman and McCarthy barely got a game in that tournament(think 2 of them might not have even made the squad). Also this is a far weaker group that 2012 as well, player for player we are better than Sweden(Zlatan obviously better than anything we have) and Italy arent that special anymore except a good defence so 4 points will get us through

also crucially Paul McShane has been dropped :D:D:D

Â