The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I know there are other threads about McLeish, and I think there may have another poll held previously to determine who was happy/unhappy with McLeish being at our club etc. But, with the way things have developed over recent weeks, I wondered if we could have a new poll asking the simple question of:

Do you want Alex McLeish to remain as Manager of Aston Villa?

A straight forward Yes or No to determine if there is still anybody out there who actually wants this man to remain at our club.

Sorry Mods if you think there is no need for this. However, if this is OK, could you please add the poll choices so we see if there are any fans out there who actually think it is worth keeping this person at our club!

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone says 'yes' that want **** with a shitty stick!!!

If anyone wants McLeish to stay then they should be sectioned and their lifetime punishment should be to trim McLeish's arse hairs!

As I have mentioned before on here; I wrote ot the club through the official website link as soon as the news broke that Villa were interested in making McLeish manager. I explained my concerns and asked for them to be passed to Randy Lerner. I basically pleaded with him not to ruin the special relationship he had with the fans.

About 1 week after McLeish was appointed, I got a call from the club. The guy asked me of my concerns and I told him that I had made them all known in the email that I sent. I said it was pointless going through them now because McLeish had already been apointed and the damage was done! The guy said that he understood my concerns but we should wait to see what happens when McLeish has done his transfer business and the season materialises. Well, look where we have got to!

I also wrote back to the club in reply to the infamous McLeish letter (PR E-mail) to the season ticket holders earlier in the season. This is what I wrote:

"Dear Alex,

Thanks for your communication with us, the fans.

I understand why you would wish to connect with us a little more because you are obviously aware of our concerns and it is only fair for you to be able to try to redress those concerns. However, how can you argue that you are not a defensive-minded manager when you sent out a Villa team at White Hart Lane that consisted of 5 defenders, with Hutton playing on the right side of midfield? Your first thought in that game seemed to be not to lose, but that went out of the window as soon as Spurs scored, and there appeared to be no plan B! I speak with all of the fans around me at Villa Park and I also speak with Villa fans who are friends, in my family, at work, and online on forums and the overall consensus is that you are a manager whose first thought is not to lose the game, rather than having the first thought of trying to win the game, and that bothers us.

I, like a lot of other Villa fans, do have some sympathy for you because you obviously joined a club where the the agenda was to make cut-backs. This obviously meant losing higher earners, who tend to be the best players in a club. I guess it will only really be fair to judge your management of our club when you get to bring in your own players. To be brutally honest with you, I worry about the quality of player you would bring to Villa judged on your management of our neighbours and the signing of Alan Hutton, who I think is the poorest right back I can remember seeing play for Villa. No offence to Hutton, I sincerely hope he turns it around and shows the ability that you obviously think he possesses. However, I do believe that Given and N'Zogbia will prove to be good purchases.

Further to my earlier comment about losing the better quality players. I know it must have been difficult to lose such players as Young and Downing but you can't miss what you didn't have, right? Also, I think this has been more than countered for with the return to form of Gabby Agbonlahor and Stephen Ireland, who were not as involved in first team matters last season. You also purchased Charles N'Zogbia, who I think will come good once he's settled down a bit more. Actually, I do believe he was starting to look like his old self until being dropped recently.

I want to make something clear at this point Alex. I have no problem at all with you being a former Blues manager! Let's face it, if you had finished in the top 6 last season and won the cup, us Villa fans would have had no problem at all with you coming to us, I know that I wouldn't have! I personally just didn't think that you had the qualities needed to be the manager of the football club that I love. I base this on the signings you made whilst at city, your record of relegating them twice in the time you spent with them, taking Rangers to 3rd place in what appears to be a two-horse race & the quality, or lack of it, of football that teams have played under your management. At this point you probably think that I am totally against you, but please believe me, I am not. I want you to succeed, not only because that would be good for the Villa but also because you seem to be a decent guy. I would be happy for you to be able to get every Villa fan on side and prove to us that you are more than worthy of being the man in the hot seat at our beloved club.

To conclude, I would like to say that I have been very disappointed by the football I have witnessed at Villa Park this season. We have never looked totally comfortable in a game and that concerns me, although, to be fair to you, we were in the same position last season for the majority of it! I am a season ticket holder in the lower North Stand and sit next to my Dad and Brother. We are seriously considering if we should renew our season ticket's for next season. This is simply because the quality of the football we have seen so far this season, it is not about the winning Alex, how can it be? We haven't won a trophy worthy of mention since 1996! We are not glory-hunters. I was born and raised in Church Road, Aston. However, times are hard financially and I am sure that you can appreciate that when available income is in short supply, as a person you want to get as much value for your money as possible. I, along with my Dad and Brother, believe that we are not really getting enough value for our money at the moment. We each agree that we would be happier, even if we were losing games, just as long as the team fights and does its best, and that they are sent out with a formation and line-up that gives us every opportunity to win the game - ala Arsenal at home this season, which we each believe to be our best home performance so far this season. I hope that I am a season ticket holder again next season, I really do.

Good luck for the rest of the season and with your management of the club I love.

Regards"

I got no response to that email but didn't expect one to be honest.

My worry is this; who gets to see these emails and letters of concern? Surely they should make their way to someone with authority at the club?

If anyone wants McLeish to stay then they should be sectioned and their lifetime punishment should be to trim McLeish's arse hairs!

Totally agree with you and the other guys who weren't too keen on my question. I was just wondering if a poll would show anyone actually wanting to keep him.

Maybe people do think he should stay but are scared to say so because of the abuse they would get from other posters. I am just intrigued to know if there is anyone out there whatsoever who thinks he should stay.

Has any other premiership club been stupid enough to employ a manager that was just relegated?

The fans knew what would happen.

Unless I'm mistaken: Harry Redknapp

Agent Redknapp went to Portsmouth's arch-rivals Southampton, took them down, and returned to Portsmouth, mission completed.

Agent McLeish...

Has any other premiership club been stupid enough to employ a manager that was just relegated?

The fans knew what would happen.

West Ham with Avram Grant (after he'd got Portsmouth relegated), and guess what....? They went down!

Totally agree with you and the other guys who weren't too keen on my question. I was just wondering if a poll would show anyone actually wanting to keep him.

Maybe people do think he should stay but are scared to say so because of the abuse they would get from other posters. I am just intrigued to know if there is anyone out there whatsoever who thinks he should stay.

well, i guess it depends if you mean do you want him to stay at this point in time.

I didn't want him here to start with, and i would have been quite happy to see him sacked at various points of the season. I will also be over the moon if we sack him this summer.

but if the question is do we sack him today, it becomes a little bit trickier.

my heart obviously says yes, but...

sod it, there is no but... i want him gone. We can't do any worse employing a dead dog to be manager for the last 3 games.

or even Big Fat Ron.

Alex McLeish says he understands why the fans turned. It was simply a reaction to us going 2-1 down over a 64 second spell. A knee jerk reaction really without regard for all the good work he had done before. He's trying to make out that villa fans are fickle..

And **** Off Owen Coyle: "Surely there is an onus on you as a person to make your point without being poisonous about it."

As if he is the modicum of gentlemanly behaviour in the dressing room, or even on the sideline last night when arguing with Kev Mac.

At least some of the national press are starting to get it now

Aston Villa's form under Alex McLeish as bad as that of the relegated squad under Billy McNeill

By Dan Heald

Villa were last relegated 25 years ago under manager Billy McNeill. A look at statistics comparing that campaign with the current one point to some worrying similarities.

Aston Villa’s status as one of the Premier League’s perennials (those to have featured in every Premier League campaign since its inception) has been endangered by a woeful sequence of results.

Last night's home defeat to Bolton Wanderers sees Villa languishing in 15th position, just three points ahead of Bolton Wanderers, who still have a game in hand.

The Villans' most recent relegation from English football’s top tier came under Billy McNeill in the 1986/87 season where they finished bottom of the old Division One. McNeill stood down to make way for Graham Taylor and returned to manage Celtic.

A comparison of the performances and results of Villa’s current season to those of McNeill’s turbulent reign highlights worrying parallels for Villa fans.

In their dismal current campaign, Alex Mcleish’s men have a win rate of just 20 per cent, with just seven victories from 35 games played so far (only relegated Wolves have a worse record).

This figure is marginally superior to McNeill’s side who mustered only a 19 per cent success rate over 42 games.

Of equal concern to Villa fans will be the scarcity of goals scored this season. An average of just 1.03 goals scored per game and a failure to score in 37 per cent of matches is actually inferior to the respective averages of 1.88 and 33 per cent of their mid-eighties counterparts.

As former manager of a Birmingham City side which valued resolute defending and clean-sheets above all else, Villa’s defensive frailties have been frequently exposed this year.

The current side have managed to shut out the opposition in just 23 per cent of their league games this season, whereas McNeill managed 24 per cent in his only season in charge.

Aston Villa – Season comparison

1986/87 (over 42 games)

2011/12

Win rate

19 per cent

20 per cent

Failed to score

33 per cent of games

37 per cent of games

Goals conceded

1.88 per game average.

1.43 per game average

Clean sheets

24 per cent

23 per cent

Fan-mail and e-mails are worthless.

look at Twitter bandwagons re The Sun or Jonathan Ross

isolated emails from a nutjob probably are useless ...but never underestimate the power of hundreds of emails from hundreds of nutjobs

If every single fan wrote to the club and said they weren't coming back until McLeish has gone , he'd be gone by the morning ... I suspect it wouldn't actually need every fan either ... if every member of Villatalk wrote and passed it on via Facebook and twatter it really wouldn't take a lot no matter how dumb and ignorant Lerner is

get writing folks

Fans chanted 'f*** off McLeish, the Villa is ours' and 'sack McLeish my lord', and the Villa manager understands why they did it.

He said: "I can understand the fans' reaction. We went into a deserved lead and to see the game turn like it did was horrible.

The reaction was a first for me. But, like I said, it was understandable because we had the three points in our grasp.

I spoke with Randy (Lerner) and Paul Faulkner (chief executive) after the game and they were supportive and said to keep your head up.

They said everyone has to stay together and battle through this fight.

"We are in a relegation fight but we have got to rally the troops for the next game.

There are still nine points to play for, our destiny is still in our own hands.

I believe in the players and believe we will still be in this division next season."

telegraph

Â