The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Good Guardian piece

There is no point skirting the issue. Alex McLeish's position has become untenable and it is almost inconceivable to think that he will still be the Aston Villa manager at the start of next season, irrespective of what division the club are in. When "**** Off McLeish, the Villa is ours" and "Sack McLeish, my lord" rang around the stadium in the closing stages of Tuesday night's highly damaging 2-1 home defeat by Bolton Wanderers, it was the majority, not a noisy minority, singing in unison.

Villa fans never accepted McLeish in the first place and they want him out. Plain and simple. The brutal truth is that it is never going to work with McLeish in charge and anyone that still thinks otherwise is deluded. Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, and Paul Faulkner, the chief executive, must be able to see that now, even if they refused to believe that was the case when they made the extraordinary decision to appoint the Scot in the summer.

Extraordinary not because McLeish came from Villa's rivals, Birmingham City. Extraordinary because McLeish had just suffered his second relegation with Birmingham in three Premier League seasons. And extraordinary because he is synonymous with a brand of football that, to borrow the former Villa manager Graham Taylor's recent description, "looks [like] you are preparing a side not to lose".

Finally someone's written an article that is absolutely spot-on.

thats not written by a journalist its a blog written by a villa fan.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently radio WM have reported that McLeish has been summoned to VP, probably bullshit or if true there giving him a pay rise.

if true, hopefully those 2 dickheads who got us into this situation have come to there senses.

I doubt Mcleish will resign. - His job prospects won't be great - 3 premiership relegations in 4 years - will put of a lot of championship clubs as well. His next job will be a small club back up in scotland - and they won't pay anything like £2m a year. .........................thats why he's hanging on - on lerner and faulkner were stupid enough to employ him................he must have fell off his chair when he got the call last summer

Apparently radio WM have reported that McLeish has been summoned to VP, probably bullshit or if true there giving him a pay rise.

you're joking right?

pleaaase be true

Why do you want him to have a payrise??

Just kiddin' :D

you're joking right?

pleaaase be true

Talks over a new deal apparently.

Well it was a bizzare appointment - Randy is I believe (the trees ?) still in the country

Perhaps Randy's just realized he has the wrong Alex - perhaps he thought he had fergie ?

(But Radio WM are rarley first with anything - so not hopeful)

Good Guardian piece

There is no point skirting the issue. Alex McLeish's position has become untenable and it is almost inconceivable to think that he will still be the Aston Villa manager at the start of next season, irrespective of what division the club are in. When "**** Off McLeish, the Villa is ours" and "Sack McLeish, my lord" rang around the stadium in the closing stages of Tuesday night's highly damaging 2-1 home defeat by Bolton Wanderers, it was the majority, not a noisy minority, singing in unison.

Villa fans never accepted McLeish in the first place and they want him out. Plain and simple. The brutal truth is that it is never going to work with McLeish in charge and anyone that still thinks otherwise is deluded. Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, and Paul Faulkner, the chief executive, must be able to see that now, even if they refused to believe that was the case when they made the extraordinary decision to appoint the Scot in the summer.

Extraordinary not because McLeish came from Villa's rivals, Birmingham City. Extraordinary because McLeish had just suffered his second relegation with Birmingham in three Premier League seasons. And extraordinary because he is synonymous with a brand of football that, to borrow the former Villa manager Graham Taylor's recent description, "looks [like] you are preparing a side not to lose".

Finally someone's written an article that is absolutely spot-on.

thats not written by a journalist its a blog written by a villa fan.

He's not a villa fan as far as i know, he's the midlands reporter for the Guardian.

Top Article though. Glad someone has finally understood the situation.

you're joking right?

pleaaase be true

Talks over a new deal apparently.

Lerner and Faulker were right to hire McLeish talk about a 2 for 1 deal, not only does he have "Premier League experience", McLeish also has the much coveted "Championship experience" shrewd business acumen :winkold:

in all seriousness i would do everything in villa's power to get our namesake andres villas boas in charge. he may be interested as he is young and hungry enough for a challeneg and villa would definitely represent that as well as prove that chelsea was just a small anomaly where his enthusiasm to move the older players on got the better of him (i never thought his appointment would work having been a lowly assistant in jose mourihno staff whilst he managed there)

he is the man to move our club on.

Who remembers this?

Richard, you know I am not going to tell you anything. I will say that the uproar over McLeish is absolutely uncalled for….he certainly has proved he can manage in the big leagues…just imagine what he could do if he was with an owner who supported him."

"First off, NO ONE is confirming a rumour…I am just stating a belief. You all cling to the fact that he has seen his lads relegated twice…well, the first time he was not with the Club long enough to make much of a difference. Secondly, …look at the owners he has worked for and their support of him monetarily. Then look at Randy and what he provides to his Managers. Third, look at his record with other Clubs…as a Manager and player. Check with Sir Alex and ask him about the man…you will get an entirely different sense.

All I am saying is that the fact that he managed BCFC should not be the driving factor. Those fans who X the man out because he managed our biggest rival just seem to miss the point. YES, Randy and the Board understand the feelings of the Fans…we are neither deaf nor blind. At the same time, whether it would be this man or any other, we need to do what we think is right for the Club.

NO action is taken without HUGE input from many knowledgeable people. Honest to goodness, if a single man can cause all the fans to abandon ship, that is a sad state of affairs. What you are basically saying is, "Randy, let us pick the Manager…we know more than you, those who are advising you, those who are in the game and know the individuals, those who make a living recommending managers and players, etc. etc" Sorry, that just doesn`t seem right to me.

Again, I am not confirming the rumour…just simply stating my feelings…as a FAN!!!!!!!!

:|

in all seriousness i would do everything in villa's power to get our namesake andres villas boas in charge

Totally agree! He's young and can build us from ground upwards again. Made a mistake at chelsea trying to kick all the 'big named' players out at once, but probably learnt a lot. With a bit of money at his disposal, I think he could turn this club right round. Great knowledge of the game as well, both here and abroad.

in all seriousness i would do everything in villa's power to get our namesake andres villas boas in charge

Totally agree! He's young and can build us from ground upwards again. Made a mistake at chelsea trying to kick all the 'big named' players out at once, but probably learnt a lot. With a bit of money at his disposal, I think he could turn this club right round. Great knowledge of the game as well, both here and abroad.

what he did at porto and a lowly protugese prior to that was immense. he builds on young hungry players - well we have that in abundance so the basic skeleton of baker - lichaj - clark - herd - carruthers - alby - gardner - weimann and possibly bannan and delf is there to be used and improved on! plus throw in bent and agbonlahor and get them firing and our team is not all that bad.

we need to give the youth more time still (i mean it generally takes fergies young guns until they are 23/4/5 to really be properly established). unfortunately this season they dont have it nor do they have the right leadership or atmosphere around the club to grow.

Â