Watches

Risso

Really love the look of these watches as an everyday watch:http://www.mvmtwatches.com

Can't decide witch one to get. It's between black leather strap and white face or black on black metal

I know this was from a while back but I'd advise against. I was sent one this week(the black on a tan strap) and I very much doubt it'd last more than a few outings. Doesn't look nearly as good as it does on their website, feels flimsy and cheap and generally is a major disappointment.

How are Skagen watches rated? Any good? My dad has said he wants to get me one for Christmas.

Some of the designs aren't bad to be fair. As a quartz watch, it's a decent alternative to the more common watches in the same price bracket.

But for similar money, it's possible to get a mechanical watch with an ETA movement, which beats any quartz watch all day long, eg: https://www.uhr.info/en/Three-Hand-watches-from-UHR

Cheers for the response risso, I'm not very knowledgeable of the different types of movement or what differences they have over each other so for me personally its the designs I like more than anything.

I went to look at the skagens today in Solihull and have fallen in love with them, I love the ultra thinness of them and saw a couple of silver strap/blue dial combo's that I really like. Just didn't know how they rank in the watch world. If they are considered a decent or respectable make them I may plump for one as they are different to other watches you regularly see.

This is the one I'm probably going for:

108681_v_1412766585.jpg

• Like 2

It's a nice design and the mesh bracelet looks cool, so if you like it, buy it. They're as decent a make as any other brand making quartz watches, and with designs better than a lot of them.

• Like 1

Really love the look of these watches as an everyday watch:http://www.mvmtwatches.com

Can't decide witch one to get. It's between black leather strap and white face or black on black metal

I know this was from a while back but I'd advise against. I was sent one this week(the black on a tan strap) and I very much doubt it'd last more than a few outings. Doesn't look nearly as good as it does on their website, feels flimsy and cheap and generally is a major disappointment.

Oh fxxk - I ordered one last night. What are the chances!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice watches Ingram, as Risso says if you like it go for it.

I'm fairly into my watches but not to the point of being into the stuff about movements, I buy what I like the look of and like to wear.

Did you ever tell us what was in your collection?

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some help from the watch folk of VT

Got the missus a watch for Xmas. I know nothing about watches but I got one that I thought she'd like.

The problem is, it has a ceramic strap. She loves the watch but she's been to 5 shops/jewellers (and counting) to ask them to adjust the strap for her so it fits and none of them will touch it.

They're saying it's too easy to break the ceramic when removing a link so they won't risk it.

Does anyone know of anywhere that'll do that kind of thing?

They keep suggesting going back to where we got it to get it adjusted, but I bought it off a watch seller on Amazon in Italy so its not an option!

Really annoyed by the whole thing.

What sort of watch is it? Ay decent jeweller should be able to adjust a ceramic strap. It's actually a lot harder to scratch a ceramic watch than a stainless steel or gold one, the only thing you have to watch out for is impact breakages such as dropping them onto a hard floor. In that sort of situation they just shatter, but you'd hope that any decent watch repairer worth his salt wouldn't do that. Try and find a jeweller that sells ceramic watches, eg by Rado or Chanel.

Its a Michael Kors watch.

We'll try Ernest Jones, thanks. She's taken it to a jeweller or two already and they won't do it.

There's an Ernest Jones in Solihull and I'm heading there today so I'll try there.

Thanks chaps

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2014 at 15:15, Stevo985 said:

Looking for some help from the watch folk of VT

Got the missus a watch for Xmas. I know nothing about watches but I got one that I thought she'd like.

The problem is, it has a ceramic strap. She loves the watch but she's been to 5 shops/jewellers (and counting) to ask them to adjust the strap for her so it fits and none of them will touch it.

They're saying it's too easy to break the ceramic when removing a link so they won't risk it.

Does anyone know of anywhere that'll do that kind of thing?

They keep suggesting going back to where we got it to get it adjusted, but I bought it off a watch seller on Amazon in Italy so its not an option!

Really annoyed by the whole thing.

More ceramic watch problems! (Never again)

Said watch has now been dropped and broken. Literally nowhere will fix it. The link that's broken isn't one of the adjustable links, it's one of the shoulder links further up the watch.

The only place who said they would even try and fix it was Ernest Jones (again), but they only offered to order an entirely new strap, and their quote was more than the watch cost in the first place!

As the ceramic strap is such a ball ache, GF has decided she likes the idea of just replacing the whole strap, but with a white leather strap or something instead. But again I've suggested this to various jewellers/watch repairmen and none of them will do the job.

Anyone know anywhere that would do that sort of thing?

If I just bought a leather watch strap would I be able to do it myself?

Edited by Stevo985

You can normally, change a strap yourself. Just get some tweezers on the springs and push in. Bit fiddly but normally ok (I don't know the type of watch you've got though). If not have you tried asking shops in the jewellery quarter. Still a few old school watch repair men up there who should be able to do it in minutes.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2014 at 16:15, Ingram85 said:

Cheers for the response risso, I'm not very knowledgeable of the different types of movement or what differences they have over each other so for me personally its the designs I like more than anything.

I went to look at the skagens today in Solihull and have fallen in love with them, I love the ultra thinness of them and saw a couple of silver strap/blue dial combo's that I really like. Just didn't know how they rank in the watch world. If they are considered a decent or respectable make them I may plump for one as they are different to other watches you regularly see.

This is the one I'm probably going for:

108681_v_1412766585.jpg

That is the very watch I am wearing right now!  I love it to bits. Had it for about 3 years now,  must get another before they stop making it. 

OK watches:

1) I utterly HATE big chunky men's watches. They look ugly,  crass and utterly classless like planting a couple of lions on your driveway or wearing a chavvy goldie looking chain.  Yet big and chunky seems to be pretty much the only option for men

2) I think paying more than £150 or so for something to tell you the time is as obscene as a football player earning £20k + per week.  I can't understand why unless you really are a multi millionaire why you would want to spend more on a bl00dy watch. Get you priorities Straight! . If I was a billionaire I would still buy a Skagen.  

3) Skagen watches are not terribly expensive but are a thing of absolute beauty. Bearing in mind my watch is not OTT expensive and is a long way away from the standard convention that men's watches should be big and chunky I am always surprised by the number of people who comment on it in a complimentary way I know some people who had never seen one before who have bought one after seeing mine. 

4) I realise people will disagree with all the above but I really don't care these are my feelings.  I am me. 

5) Glad I spotted this thread so I didn't have to post about chunky / expensive men's watches in the things that plss you off but shouldn't or Skagen watches in the things that make you happy threads

Happy Thursday folks 

• Like 2

Â