Watches

Risso

To be fair, the Hublot purchase was very much based on aesthetics. Once I saw it and wore it, I had to buy it especially as it's completely different to the others in my collection.

I must say that I look on very enviously on Connor's Patek Phillipe. That is a beautiful timepiece.

The Marine does fit the bill as much as an Aquanaut. But I'm not keen on a rubber strap and the Breguet I want in my collection is the classic looking coin case piece in gold, that is for next year though. It's looking like Royal Oak to me but I can't let the SubC go, I'm wearing it today and I just plain enjoy it. Looks like space 5 in the box gets used. 

I love the Minute repeaters, the IWC one looks superb but my grail would be a Breguet Tourbillon.

To be fair, the Hublot purchase was very much based on aesthetics. Once I saw it and wore it, I had to buy it especially as it's completely different to the others in my collection.

I must say that I look on very enviously on Connor's Patek Phillipe. That is a beautiful timepiece.

You should buy watches for yourself, if you like it that's all that matters. I could not own a watch I didn't find aesthetically pleasing to me, regardless of what brand it is. It comes numero uno on a list for watch choice.

I do love my Patek and the reason for that is all about the dial. It's just stunning to look at. The other more classic look (see below) is a bit too boring for me. If I was going all plain dial like that I'd side with Vacheron Constantine over Patek. Breguet too. 

Patek-Philippe-5227-On-the-Wrist.jpg

• Like 1

Many times photos don't do a watch justice. Seeing a watch in the flesh in a must really, or at least a high res YouTube video. 

As for Grail watch, it's a grail until you get it. Google Breguet Tourbillon and you'll get plenty of photos of what I'd consider the ultimate grail. 

You should buy watches for yourself, if you like it that's all that matters. 

Correct, so my view don't really matter.

Bloody hard to find an Audemars Piguet around to look at though. I have to go into Bond Street in London to have a look and try one on. 

But don't pretend the Royal Oak in Rose Gold isn't a bloody sexy as f**k watch

IMG_6752.jpg

I prefer the gold AP, which is unusual for me as I usually hate gold watches! It just works on the AP Royal Oak though

Does nothing for me, sorry. In fact the rose gold on ales it worse I don't like that at all.

Ito me it looks like a cross between a giant nut and a ship port hole.

But sounds like you are sold so go for it.

Feel free to send me your unwanted sub :)

What defines a watch as Swiss made?

I get the impression that even some of the top brands (eg Breitling) have their parts made outside the country and then just assemble them in Switzerland, which falls within some bureaucrat's definition of what amounts to 'Swiss made'.

It has to be a Swiss movement, it has to be assembled in the country and final inspection and quality control done in the country. Also at least 50% of the cost of the components have to be made in Switzerland. 

Some parts are made abroad for many parts of watches (usually the jewels). But nearly every part for in house movements are fabricated in Switzerland itself. So Rolex or JLC for example are almost entirely made there and then the parts they source are usually sourced from Swatch Group who would have a large amount of manufacturing done in Switzerland too.

Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet & Vacheron Constantine are all in house, all hand made and two of them (PP, AP) are still family run. 

• Like 1

What would be your ideal collection CV? Have you got a list of grails that once you get you'll be happy be and not flip any of them?

One of my mates has just taken delivery of a custom made Rolex. They made a number of watches for him and a few other lads which have their regimental badge and service number engraved on the back.

Rolex produced them at a reduced rate, so he paid £3,500, but **** knows how much they'd be worth being so rare.

I'm not a fan of watches but it was pretty damn sexy.

Â