Watches

Risso

Archie Luxury is hilarious. His opinions change like the winds, but he is amusing the same way funny animal videos on youtube are funny. Still crux of some of his stuff is accurate, holy trinity, JLC love, disliking watches with ETA movements. 

BTW Trent, I also tried on a AP Royal Oak on Friday when I was in Wempe. I wasn't really feeling it either, it's just too retro 70s for me right now. I need more time for my taste to mature. The VC Chrono is quite lovely, but alas finding a used one at a price I'd pay is bordering on impossible. 

I also popped into Breitling, the 43mm Navi is such a better size for me than the 46mm Navi World. But there is no blue at that size with the B01 movement in it bar the utterly gorgeous limited edition Blue Sky which cannot be found. I've made the decision my Navitimer World is to go, 46mm and ETA movement is something my taste is against. My Submariner is off to Galway (made £500 on that too). 

I've no decided 100% that all my watched need to be albe to be worn with a suit and manage to slip under the cuffs. The 3 additions I'll be making this summer after the outgoing of the SubC and Navi World are

Glaschutte Panoreserve

4435860-6666859.jpg

glashutte-original-panoreserve-2012-live

IWC Portofino 8 Day

portofino2.jpg

PortofinoFW3.jpg

and a Rolex Explorer II

2011-Rolex-Explorer-II-Orange-Hand-Side-

Archie Luxury is hilarious. His opinions change like the winds, but he is amusing the same way funny animal videos on youtube are funny. Still crux of some of his stuff is accurate, holy trinity, JLC love, disliking watches with ETA movements. 

He's the Sir Les Patterson of watch appreciation. :D

Three superb choices Mr Byrne.  Will the GO be the first German watch in your collection?  I love that IWC, they're making some of the nicest dials around at the moment in my opinion.  The rose gold numerals and hands on that white face look excellent, and it doesn't look cluttered even with the power reserve indicator.  Anyway, it's a reason to gratuitously post these again! :)

nkeg.jpg

uie6q.jpg

Edited by Risso

Yes, it'll be my first German. I could hardly start of with a Lange 1 now could I  :rolleyes:

I really like the Portofino 8 Day since I was in getting a link taken out of my SubC a few months ago in Royal Exchange and spotted it, it's like a pocket watch put on a strap given how big the case is.The dial is gorgeous and as you say doesn't look cluttered. Also it has no ETA junk inside which I feel ruins the normal Portuguese. 

That Minute repeater is just stunning. Love to see it in the flesh. I need a wrist shot of it too please. I shudder to think how much that set you back, a couple of Calatravas I'd assume!!! 

When you listen to Archieluxury it is easy to be misled into thinking watch connoisseurs are all vulgar poseurs who have more money than sense.

But when you become aware of the stories of people like George Daniels and Roger W. Smith, people who buy these high-end watches have to be considered patrons of the arts.

• 3 weeks later...

It has arrived  :D

2014_07_02_17_44_54.jpg

That is lovely, congratulations.  If I had that, that would be a keeper, the face is amazing.  There's no way on earth I'd flip my IWC, and I'd actually have a second IWC and get one of those.  Is it what, 45mm?  It's big, but the lugs seem to make it wear very well.

It arrived yesterday  :rolleyes:

We could always swap IWC's Risso  :D  

Yes it's a 45mm dial, but it wears much smaller than my SubC. It fits under cuff no problem as the case isn't that thick and the lugs only protrude a few mm past the case edge. The Santoni strap is unrivalled in comfort and quality (and I own a Patek on leather!!). Plus it has a really useful complication of 8 day power reserve. 

But it's all about the dial, and the larger diameter just makes it even more about the dial  ;)

Would have to say this is a keeper, along with my Patek. 

My SubC is gone and have buyer for my Breitling. Mulling over what's next. The Glaschutte was a letdown when I tried it on in Luxembourg last weekend. 

Struggling to keep up with your collection, but I make that a Calatrava, Daytona, IWC and the soon to be flipped Breitling.  If you're sticking at 4, and have ruled out the GO, I'd go for a RO or VC.  As nice as the Explorer 2 is, I don't think it'd get much of a look in over a Daytona.

Â