Watches

Risso

What would be your ideal collection CV? Have you got a list of grails that once you get you'll be happy be and not flip any of them?

Well I'll have to have one piece from each of the holy trinity houses. Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantine. The first two would be the Calatrava and Royal Oak then likely a Patrimoney Contemporaine in Rose Gold to finish the 3. 

Then I'd have to own a Rolex Sports watch, almost certainly the Daytona. I love mine and wear it a lot. Also the Breitling Navitimer, but I'll likely aim for a 43mm with the new in house movement when one is available in blue.

Finally I'd love to own a Breguet, but don't know if it would be a permanent piece in a collection or just temporary. I'd probably keep a Rolex Submariner as a beater on a Nato too. 

I'd probably keep a Rolex Submariner as a beater on a Nato too.

No, no, and thrice no.  Just.....no.  Don't do it!

Kill two birds with one stone? 

Type XXI

L1130546%20(1).jpg?format=1000w

Edited by CVByrne

I'm thinking of ditching the Submariner and getting the Type XXI because the Royal Oak looks too good in Rose Gold I would not be able to fully enjoy the SS RO. 

There is a Type XXI on Bond street and I'm going to pop in and have another wander around tomorrow as it'll be sunny, see how it looks. 

I'd probably keep a Rolex Submariner as a beater on a Nato too.

No, no, and thrice no.  Just.....no.  Don't do it!

Kill two birds with one stone? 

Type XXI

L1130546%20(1).jpg?format=1000w

Absolutely bloody gorgeous.  If do get one and put it on a nato, I'll hunt you down, cut your arm off and beat you to death with the bloody stump!

Insurance isn't too expensive really. Most people just have it added to special contents insurance. But for individual watch insurance it's approx 0.5% - 0.7% of watch value. I don't have my watches specifically insured above contents insurance. I keep mine in a safe.  

I think the Royal Oak looks superb in this review. 

Sorry, I just don't like it.

Would a VC Overseas dual time be more to you liking?

or the Chrono which I personally love. 

Vach1.jpg

Edited by CVByrne

Simple rule of thumb, if it's got no history it's got no cachet. Greubel Forsey make very complicated Tourbillons which are very nice and expensive pieces, but it's a new company and would be akin to start up hyper car makers vs established ones like Ferrari.

The Holy Trinity of watchmaking are Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin & Audemars Piguet. They are top of the tree and Patek is usually considered top of that group. 

Below that you'd have Lange & Sohne and Breguet who make amazing watches but by virtue of being German & French respectfully they can't be Trinity members.

Then come Jaeger LeCoultre, Blancpain & Glachutte who for various reasons despite the first two making among the best movements in the business can't get the cache of the above. 

Followed by Rolex 

Then we've Breitling, Omega, IWC etc..

Followed by Tag Heuer and Fashion brands like Gucci, D&G etc..

I'd go along with that.  I saw a Greubel Foresy in Bond Street two weeks ago that cost a cool half million.  The one with the floating globe complication.

Just watching the Bonhams fine watches auction, got my eye on something very special.....

Edited by Risso

Â