Watches

Risso

I'm on constant lookout for a VC overseas, maybe dual time.  My problem is the Royal Oak is the Royal Oak, I mean it is THE stainless steel sportswatch and I can get it with a blue face to fit in with the collection. The Rose Gold 39mm Royal Oak is an endgame watch down the line (probably next year if I'm being honest) but I feel I need to own a normal one at some point. 

But I do really love the Vacheron Overseas Chrono, the maltese cross bracelet is unrivalled in its beauty, it's just so damn hard to track down, will need months of patience. 

I'm on constant lookout for a VC overseas, maybe dual time.  My problem is the Royal Oak is the Royal Oak, I mean it is THE stainless steel sportswatch and I can get it with a blue face to fit in with the collection. The Rose Gold 39mm Royal Oak is an endgame watch down the line (probably next year if I'm being honest) but I feel I need to own a normal one at some point. 

But I do really love the Vacheron Overseas Chrono, the maltese cross bracelet is unrivalled in its beauty, it's just so damn hard to track down, will need months of patience. 

My ultimate goal is either a George Daniels or Roger Smith.  I know Roger Smith quite well, but I can only see his output going stratospheric over the next few years.  His Series 3 really will be something else, as he starts to move away from the George Daniels legacy and imposes his own personality on things. 

On a slightly less grand level, I'd quite like a Grand Seiko SBGW043 (http://azfinetime.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/grand-seiko-44gs-historical-collection-limited-edition-18k-white-gold-sbgw043/) and a Platona. 

Personally I think at some point you need to put it all in to get something Daniels, as much as it all can buy you if it's possible. I'm 70% history 30% aesthetic. The idea of going home after selling a watch that took him forever to make, then made another, I wish he was alive just to talk with him for 3 minutes. 

Your minute repeater is my Breguet Tourbillon. Being a mathematician the pure genius to think of just suspending it, that is my minute repeater. But could I physically pay that much? I guess the Minute was above Nautilus territory. Like well above. Was it years of just knowing it was something that was going to happen? 

Personally I think at some point you need to put it all in to get something Daniels, as much as it all can buy you if it's possible. I'm 70% history 30% aesthetic. The idea of going home after selling a watch that took him forever to make, then made another, I wish he was alive just to talk with him for 3 minutes. 

Your minute repeater is my Breguet Tourbillon. Being a mathematician the pure genius to think of just suspending it, that is my minute repeater. But could I physically pay that much? I guess the Minute was above Nautilus territory. Like well above. Was it years of just knowing it was something that was going to happen? 

Yep, it really, REALLY annoys me that it's only after he died that I realise just how many people I know knew George Daniels really, really well.  Like, my best mate; his dad is one of the trustees of the trust.  Still, there's always Roger Smith, and he's go the benefit of being a lot younger, and a lot more approachable.

In fact, let me know if you fancy popping along to this: http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/blogs/all-blogs/in-the-loupe/2014/06/time-for-watches.html

• 4 weeks later...

What you think Mart?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181460112032?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649

Lad contacted me offline. 2014 boxed papers, with croc and rubber strap. Think he'll knock the 10% eBay fees off for a face to face. No problem recouping that later in the year if I feel that the blue overseas chrono is too much of a draw.

Edited by CVByrne

Do it!  That seems a great price to be honest, assuming it's in good nick which it appears to be from the photo.  An Overseas would be high on my list as well.  One of the few watches that looks equally good on a bracelet, croc or rubber in my opinion, but to be honest, the bracelet is so sublime that I probably wouldn't bother ever changing it.  I came close to getting an AP RO last week, but to be honest I much prefer the VC.

Part of me wants that watch, then part of me dies inside that there's a watch, which looks like any other watch that's worth nearly £8,000.

There must be better things to do with £8,000!?

Something which will probably astound you even more, is that no matter how much you pay for a watch, whether a fifteen-quid Casio or a four-hundred grand Patek, they only ever come with a two year guarantee.

And don't ask how much a service is.

Personal choice I guess.  For me, the above would be an investment in a piece of Swiss excellence, from a company that dates back to 1755.  You could spend the money on a car, but in 5 years time that car would be worth next to nothing, while the above watch will probably be worth at least what you've paid for it.  People who smoke a packet of fags a day get through £3K a year, for the pleasure of smelling like an ashtray and killing themselves. 

• Like 2

If you wanna buy something from a company that dates back a couple of hundred years, buy beer :lol:

I don't smoke either, so I don't know how much people pay for cigs, but £3k? come on man..

I think it's basically my jealousy that I'll never be able to afford those types of things, and that when I look at people who live in my social "zone", absolutely none of them would spend £8,000 on a watch.

They'd probably go on holiday or as you say, buy a car so they could go to work or visit places etc (not so useless imo), not just a shiny thing to have on your wrist once or twice a year because you'll be worried about scratching it or losing it, which you'll inevitably have to tell someone the cost and how prestigious it is :) 

different strokes I guess, but as I said, you'll notice my underlying jealous rage in the post :thumb:

gimme some money you selfish buggers.

Part of me wants that watch, then part of me dies inside that there's a watch, which looks like any other watch that's worth nearly £8,000.

Something which will probably astound you even more, is that no matter how much you pay for a watch, whether a fifteen-quid Casio or a four-hundred grand Patek, they only ever come with a two year guarantee.

Audemars Piguet give you three years if you register on their website.  If you buy a watch from Wempe in London, they'll give you an extra year on top of whatever the manufacturer offers.  Also, any recent Omega with the co-axial movement has a three year warranty period.  But then the movement was invented by George Damiels, so you'd expect a bit of extra reliability.

I don't smoke either, so I don't know how much people pay for cigs, but £3k? come on man..

£8 a pack x 365 days.  Do the math, as Americans would say.

Anyway, never mind £8K, if you've got £17million to spare, you could have a pop at buying this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonydemarco/2014/07/10/henry-graves-supercomplication-may-fetch-17-million-at-sothebys-geneva/

Went for £11m last time, but is being sold as the Middle Eastern sort who bought it hasn't paid his debts apparently.

I've agreed to buy it on Thursday next week. I actually think if I wanted rid (which would only be because I want the unrivalled Maltese Cross bracelet) I'd be able to walk into Watchfinders and recoup it all if not a small profit there and then.

I've seen the sunblush slate dial before of the Dual time and it really is a summer watch where the sun makes the dial a real stunner. Also I like rubber or leather straps in summer.

The point of this is, I can buy that watch, enjoy it and sell it on in a years time with a likely small profit. So basically I put the "cost" down to only the depreciation. Which because I buy well and am patient wait for the right watch at the right price.

I could liquidate my current collection withing weeks and get at worst case 95% of my money back. Now think how much depretiation there is on a sports car, or how much money it costs people to be members of a golf club. Instead of cars and golf I like watches and horse racing.

Oh and the Vacheron Overseas may be the most beautiful sportswatch on the planet. I think the blue dial chronograph probably is.

not just a shiny thing to have on your wrist once or twice a year because you'll be worried about scratching it or losing it, which you'll inevitably have to tell someone the cost and how prestigious it is :)

I wear my Patek Philippe once or twice a week to work. I've never had to tell anyone how much it cost. That's the beauty of it. Only I know, if I want someone to notice my watch I wear the shiny Rolex Daytona.  

not just a shiny thing to have on your wrist once or twice a year because you'll be worried about scratching it or losing it, which you'll inevitably have to tell someone the cost and how prestigious it is :)

I wear my Patek Philippe once or twice a week to work. I've never had to tell anyone how much it cost. That's the beauty of it. Only I know, if I want someone to notice my watch I wear the shiny Rolex Daytona.  

different strokes I guess, but as I said, you'll notice my underlying jealous rage in the post :thumb:

gimme some money you selfish buggers.

See above :)

Audemars Piguet give you three years if you register on their website.  If you buy a watch from Wempe in London, they'll give you an extra year on top of whatever the manufacturer offers.  Also, any recent Omega with the co-axial movement has a three year warranty period.  But then the movement was invented by George Damiels, so you'd expect a bit of extra reliability.

So I understand, the main advantage of the co-axial escapement is the reduction in wear because there is no sliding motion on the pallets.

Obviously the rest of the watch is going to suffer the same problem of the grease and oil drying out.

Do you know if any watchmaker has ever tried filling their watch with an inert gas to stop the oil oxidising?

The Bremont issue this week has been fun to observe.  In short, they released a new watch which they claimed contained their first "in house" movement.  It had no such thing, which prompted a hilariously bad (imho) back tracking video on Youtube.  I'd rather buy a Sekonda Seksi watch than a Bremont, to be honest.

Â