Liverpool FC in 2011/12

BOF

Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?

• No
    • Yes

And even if (which they're not) Sunderland's signings were all top quality, it would take them time to settle into the side. They almost bought an entire new team this summer and as we saw with Spurs when they used to do that for a few years a while back, they'd tend to spend the better part of the first few months in the relegation places.

I thought the Liverpool players were playing to get Dalgleish a contract as manager last year. I've always suspected that as soon as he was given a contract, and the honeymoon period was over, they'd revert back to mediocre form. They only had 2 games after his appointment; which they lost. Liverpool fans will tell you this was because they didnt want the Europa Cup spot, and this may be so, but I'm unconvinced that they have the quality to compete for anything above 4th place.

Saying that, their large squad size means they might do well in the league over the course of the season, particularly given that they have no European distractions.

I think the quality of their best 11 would see them 5th or 6th personally.

Some of the points in this thraed are utter rubbish.

First of all Skrtel is injured and won't be playing but Agger is our first choice CB anyway so don't know why people are going on about Skrtel for. Agger is a **** class CB. Not only can he defend excellently but he is so good on the ball, can link up the play and had a beast of a left foot that is always a goal threat. If he could bloody stay fit for a decent length of time he'd be one of the best in Europe. Even with his injury problems we've had both Milan clubs trying to steal him this year and last year so he must be doing something right.

Downing, to by amazement and annoyance as I was very anti him signing, has thoroughly impressed every time he's been on the field in pre-season. He was MOM against Valencia last week. Carroll is starting to get into the swing of things now. He looks his old self and is finally fit and over his bad knee injury. He's scored a few good goals in pre-season, been a hige aerial threat (especially from set pieces) and has looked incredibly hungry and up for it.

Henderson on the other hand is an early concern for me. He had a few good passes against Hull but besides that has struggled. Was not at all at the races against Valencia last week. This signing is my big concern as for £16m I would be expecting a player who could go straight into the first team.

And for people questioning Suarez? Really? He's come back from the Copa so fit it looks like he'll play some part against Sunderland today. He's the duracel bunnylike Kuyt. They just don't get tired. Also, doubting his ability? This is the player who just easily won best player of the Copa Americas up against the likes of Messi and Higuain and all the other class players from Argentina and Brazil. Also, did you see his first six months? 4 goals and nearly double assists. Go and watch what he did against Utds defence at Anfield when he'd hardly been here that long. He's going to be some player. I know you hate Liverpool but don't let that cloud your judgement about Suarez because it just makes you look silly. There is absolutely NO evidence so far to suggest he is not going to be a success in the Premier League.

Overall, I thinking it's going to be a long hard season. I'm not a blind faith follower of 'King' Kenny at all and to be honest after the end of last season I have my concerns of his tactical ability. I think its going to come down a lot more to how well Steve Clarke and Kevin Kean do to be honest. If everyone stays fit, Gerrard comes back raring to go after his infection, team spirit stays high and we buy a new CB before the end of the window which is looking increasingly likely, I think we can just nip 4th. We have a better squad than Tottenham, especially if they don't strengthen as its looking they wont, and Arsenal are imploding from the inside out. Their fan base is extremely unsettled and Wenger seems to be in the middle of a breakdown and doesn't seem to be as commanding a Manager as he used to be. They got in the top 4 last because of us and Spurs being utter shit moreso than their own performance. Their going to sell Fabregas and are not replacing him with Mata or anyone by what Wengers saying and Scott Dann is hardly going to answer all their defensive problems. It will depend on Arsenal asmuch as us but 4th is definitely achievable so long as their are no major setbacks or anything along the way.

I think they'll have improved since last season, but i think they'll probably narrowly miss out on top 4 to Arsenal and/or Spurs.

Wouldn't surprise me if they made it though.

Going to stick a tenner e/w on them for the title.

Odds will be better after that draw (probably with good reason :) )

Got a strong team going forwards, I think they'll batter teams at Anfield, Sunderland were lucky to not be at least 2-0 yesterday at HT. Adam should have been on penalties with his record.

No European games whatsoever, so time to focus fully before the cups start properly after Dec. I think they'll be right in the mix at Xmas.

They are missing a top decent defensive midfielder, but Gerrard can do that role very well when he gets back, it's if they try and shoehorn him into an attacking position they could cock up, disrupting what will be a winning team.

Centre halves should see them through to Xmas as well, then they can strengthen in Jan.

This ensures a bad season for them, no need to thank me. Though I do think, they'll be good, and in the top 4.

Gerrard can be a very good defensive mid as he can foul/dive as many as he wishes and gets away with all. Just glad they did not win yesterday otherwise the wankfeast would have truly start from all media and especially the BBC. I am wishing them a similar start to spuds under Ramos a few years ago.

wasnt a great game in fairness and felt sorry for Vermaelen as he was effectively babysitting MIquel and Jenkinson.

Wouldnt write off Arsenal yet especialy if they sign M'Vila and a **** centre half. Not even an Arsenal fan and this drives me mad

There is a lot to be said for momentum and how optimistic the players are feeling.

I think Liverpool’s squad would be confident after the way they ended last year and they have pushed on in the summer.

Arsenal still seem traumatised with their collapse and now have sold their captain and injured a large number of their players. Their camp will be demotivated with all the doom and gloom over there.

Based on today's showing my reckoning that this year Suarez's combination of superb skill and being a cheating **** would make him the player everyone loves to hate is only a matter of time til it comes to pass.