The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

Just read that James Milner is learning Spanish to communicate with some team mates better. Good commitment there.

Call me old fashioned but I think his team mates should learn English, playing for an English club.

• 1 month later...

Just read that James Milner is learning Spanish to communicate with some team mates better. Good commitment there.

Call me old fashioned but I think his team mates should learn English, playing for an English club.

I agree, but can't fault his effort

To be fair I assume they are learning English.

But it can't hurt if Milner knows some Spanish too. They won't learn English over night so it'll help them in the short term.

• 2 weeks later...

With news of David James bankruptcy Boylesports have done an article of 5 players going bankrupt after football, all 5 at one time or another played for us.

Football fans were bewildered this week when news broke that former England keeper David James is auctioning off personal possessions after being declared bankrupt.

The current Player-Manager of Kerala Blasters in the Indian Super League has enjoyed a highly successful career, whose ten clubs have included the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City.

Indeed, a two-year stint at Bristol City in the twilight of his career probably earned him around £1.5 million. So how has he resorted to auctioning of his possessions including chainsaws, a Vauxhall Astra van and even his balls (steady, a collection of signed footballs)?

Quite easily, it seems. Research by XPro, the charity for ex-players, indicates that over 40% of Premier League players declare bankruptcy within five years of retirement. Here’s a look at some who have fallen on hard times and why.

David James

James not only earned millions from his footballing career, but enjoyed many lucrative sidelines including modeling for Armani. It’s been cited that a costly divorce in 2005 has contributed greatly to his financial downfall but his extravagant spending must have impacted. 

Former Liverpool team-mate Stan Collymore once said of James that “’If he had a new car and he pranged it, he would just go and buy a new car…Too easy to spend money like you’re going to be earning that kind of money for the rest of your life”.

Brad Friedel

You’d think experienced keepers would be good at saving money, but Spurs goalie Brad Friedel is another who’s fallen victim to financial mismanagement.

Again, he’s enjoyed an illustrious career counting Liverpool, Blackburn Rovers and Aston Villa among his many clubs.

However, in 2007 and with good intentions, Friedel established a $10 million “soccer” academy in Ohio but closed just four years later. He was forced to file for bankruptcy in the UK for debts accruing from this failed venture.

Eric Djemba-Djemba

The Cameroonian seemed to waste more money than Sir Alex Ferguson did when signing him. He was on £75k a month at Old Trafford but his former agent claims he was already resorting to win bonuses and appearance fees to get by.

Agent Christophe Mongai suggests that Djemba-Djemba had 30 bank accounts, a fleet of ten cars and had no hesitation frittering away money on numerous hangers-on.

It’s no surprise then that the former Aston Villa midfielder filed for bankruptcy in 2007, despite earning around £4 million in the Premier League alone.

Chris Sutton

A former holder of the British transfer record, the former Celtic, Blackburn Rovers and Chelsea striker was declared bankrupt earlier this year.

Sutton blamed bad financial advice on his malaise, after becoming embroiled in a multi-million pound fraud. He admits that he didn’t fully understand the investment scheme he got involved with, which he’d been reassured he was making a profit on.

However, it came to light that adviser Simon Grinter was misleading him and other investors and was subsequently jailed for fraud.

Lee Hendrie

The former Aston Villa midfielder once earned £40k a week but was declared bankrupt two years ago after racking up debuts of £200k.

Hendrie, who broke up from his ex-wife one day after their wedding, concedes he lost £10 milllion after the property crash and that his financial woes led to him twice trying to take his own life.

He suggests that retirement from the game and the financial pressures it brings are not uncommon. “The amount of players and ex-players I’ve spoken to who have sat in every day and not got dressed would surprise people. You get into a stage where you don’t want to do anything”.

http://betting.boylesports.com/football/premier-league/premier-league-footballers-go-bankrupt

• 3 weeks later...

Emile Heskey: Leicester City return interests ex-England striker

Former England striker Emile Heskey said he would rejoin Leicester City as a player if approached by the Premier League strugglers.

Heskey scored 46 goals in 196 games for the Foxes between 1994 and 2000.

The 36-year-old has already taken up a dual ambassadorial role with the Foxes since returning to England following two years with the Newcastle Jets in Australia's A-League.

"It goes without saying, I'd love to come," Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

Leicester, who have not scored in five games and are third from bottom, have room in their 25-man squad to add a free agent.

"It is a great club that allowed me to get to the platform that I got to," Heskey added.

"I was an England international when I was with Leicester so that was a great achievement."

Heskey came through the Foxes academy system before making a club-record £11m move to Liverpool in 2000.

he is just meant to score against us

Emile Heskey: Leicester City return interests ex-England striker

Former England striker Emile Heskey said he would rejoin Leicester City as a player if approached by the Premier League strugglers.

Heskey scored 46 goals in 196 games for the Foxes between 1994 and 2000.

The 36-year-old has already taken up a dual ambassadorial role with the Foxes since returning to England following two years with the Newcastle Jets in Australia's A-League.

"It goes without saying, I'd love to come," Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

Leicester, who have not scored in five games and are third from bottom, have room in their 25-man squad to add a free agent.

"It is a great club that allowed me to get to the platform that I got to," Heskey added.

"I was an England international when I was with Leicester so that was a great achievement."

Heskey came through the Foxes academy system before making a club-record £11m move to Liverpool in 2000.

he is just meant to score against us

If Leicester wanted him I am sure they would have signed him up by now.

Bit desperate by Heskey that.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Howard having a go at Big Brad in his book saying he tried his best to ruin his career :o

Yeah read that.

Brad F was asked to sign a letter for Tim Howards work permit application to move to Man Utd, Brad thought it wasn't accurate so refused to sign it. Tim saying Brad went a step further and wrote a letter trying to block the move but Brad denies this.

Well this made me have a little weep.

488187a3183ab874b6f76989120cf94d.jpg

In this picture they look like knobheads, who are probably a pair of bummers.

Much prefer this one

barry-milner_1241492c.jpg

In this picture they look like jolly good fellows, who no doubt could get any woman they wanted.

• Like 2

Â