Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Yeah definitely did a mistake for that goal. Not a huge flap or between legs kind of gaff, but a pretty huge error in terms of leaving his line when the player was never going to score from his position, he was going sideways and was covered by the defender. Sidwell, not exactly being Van Persie or Messi, would always attempt a poor shot from that angle and he was way lucky to score. Had Joe Hart or David de Gea made that judgment they would have been plastered all over the front pages.

If I recall correctly it was actually the city game. I looked at who scored after the game and he had an error for the first goal from toure. I thought it was harsh, the ball was right at him but he couldn't see it because there were players in the way.

I'd also say he could have done a little better for the Cleverly goal at his near post this past weekend, as well as the Shane Long chip goal which he possibly could have shut down a little earlier.

But on the whole, he's been really solid for us. And pulls off some world-class saves on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

Commanded the box very well today.

But...he has to work on his distribution!

He is one of many players contributing to the unattractive Hoofball we are playing.

Every time he lanches the ball up the pitch it ends up with the opposition winning it...this is very frustrating!

In my opinion he should play more short balls to be sure that we acctually have a chance of building up an attack.

Poor Guzan, not only is he bombarded every game and under pressure for 80% of the time, but he's now criticized for his distribution? Who's going to win them midfield arial battles? Westwood? Delph? KEA? His distribution is fine, problem is he usually gets more touches than our midfielders. Not only our goal keeper but the main playmaker too. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 2

The fact he touched the ball most times for us sums up the type of football on display.

One thing I didn't like was how he unnecessarily hoofs it up the field all the time, I can understand it happening few times but when we are under the cosh it's unacceptable as the pressure keeps on mounting.

Anyway he is probably the last player we can fault to be honest, without him we would certainly be worse off.

Last season we relied on Guzan & Benteke to keep us up.

This season Benteke has gone missing along with our midfield so it's all down to Guzan to keep us up.

On top of that he also has to act as playmaker in this marvelous no possession hoof tactic that Lambert seem to favour.

Our most important player by a mile

• Like 2

Luckily the actual Guzman was on the same pitch so the commentators didn't get his name wrong today. 

It's perhaps an excuse for mixing the names up, but they constantly said Guzman when clearly meaning Guzan, unless Guzman actually switched into our keeper's shirt.

Poor Guzan, not only is he bombarded every game and under pressure for 80% of the time, but he's now criticized for his distribution? Who's going to win them midfield arial battles? Westwood? Delph? KEA? His distribution is fine, problem is he usually gets more touches than our midfielders. Not only our goal keeper but the main playmaker too. 

His technique is OK.

I just think he should have noticed by now that when the guy he is aiming for (mostly Kozak) heads it down, there is nobody within 10 yards to pick it up, so it goes straight back to the opposition, which puts Guzan back under pressure within 10 seconds....

(PS: I know my kommas are placed badly  :P )

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

Last season we relied on Guzan & Benteke to keep us up.

This season Benteke has gone missing along with our midfield so it's all down to Guzan to keep us up.

On top of that he also has to act as playmaker in this marvelous no possession hoof tactic that Lambert seem to favour.

Our most important player by a mile

A keeper can only ensure you don't lose. Benteke was the match-winner last season and he is out now because Lambert decided to play him through injury despite spending £7m on a player who was supposed to be able to fill in for him. 

Â