Brad Guzan

R.Bear

He is overrated by many and I think if you look at the past few games, I can't even remember him making a save of note. Every one on one he has faced in a game results in a goal, because he comes rushing out rather than making himself big. Look at the players that have beaten him too, Mulumbu who never scores, Naismith the same, they just prod it past him because he comes rushing out. I also believe its due to lack of competition, he now knows there is next to no chance he will ever be dropped.

• Like 1

He is overrated by many and I think if you look at the past few games, I can't even remember him making a save of note. Every one on one he has faced in a game results in a goal, because he comes rushing out rather than making himself big. Look at the players that have beaten him too, Mulumbu who never scores, Naismith the same, they just prod it past him because he comes rushing out. I also believe its due to lack of competition, he now knows there is next to no chance he will ever be dropped.

Goalkeeper in coming off his line when 1-on-1 shocker.

Next week: Goalie dives when shot is just out of his reach.

• Like 2

Im not really questioning his ability but he has been off form the last few games.  His rushing out gave away a penalty against Liverpool in which he should not have been anywhere near it. 

Coming off his line and diving at the feet is a problem he needs to rectify, he does it countless times. Didn't know we couldn't criticise Brad, for me he has been nowhere near the levels he has been previously. Lets hope he actually makes a save for us soon hey because I can't seem to remember any.

Edited by SikhInTrinity
  • Like 1

Coming off his line and diving at the feet is a problem he needs to rectify, he does it countless times. Didn't know we couldn't criticise Brad, for me he has been nowhere near the levels he has been previously. Lets hope he actually makes a save for us soon hey because I can't seem to remember any.

Where have I said you're not allowed to criticise him?

Of course you are.

Similarly I'm allowed to defend that criticism. Especially when it's wrong (imo).

Im not really questioning his ability but he has been off form the last few games.  His rushing out gave away a penalty against Liverpool in which he should not have been anywhere near it. 

Has he really been able to do anything about the goals in the past few games? I didn't see the West Ham game so I can't say on those, but I don't think he coul dhave in any of the others.

The Liverpool penalty being the exception. I was the first to say he probably could have stayed on his feet for that one.

But that doesn't mean coming off his line is always wrong. It's practically the first line in the goalkeeping text book. If you're one on one, you close down the angle. The quicker the better.

People can't mistake "not pulling off wonder saves" with "being off form"

He hasn't been spectacular recently, but I don't think he's been poor. Criticising him because Chris Brunt fired a 30 yard thunderbastard past him or Naismith scored a 1 on 1 is ludicrous.

• Like 4

Very much this! Brad is a good shot stopper and has really improved on the high balls, however, he tends to be way too quick coming off his line in a bit of a helter skelter manner and despite the fact that you could hardly critisize a keeper for not saving a one on one chance, I can think of two goals he could have prevented had he decided to be more in control when going off the line - Liverpool's penalty and Fulham's first goal ( Sidwell ) - especially that one. 

I love his enthusiasm. When you watch a game on TV whether it be live or just the highlights you can't see it. But when you actually go to a game you see he is constantly encouraging the team, getting overly excited when the team attacks, celebrates when they get a corner or score. It's almost like us villa fans would be if we were playing for Villa.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 3

I just despair when I see him lining up to hoof it constantly.

Is it his idea to do this, or is he doing what he has been instructed to do, because it just brings unwarranted pressure back on the team.

I realise that our midfield is poor, but we really should be trying to build from the back, at least some of the time.

But our defenders, and even midfielders, are begging him to hoof it, so they wouldn't have to hoof it themselves. They show no desire to build the play from the back. Guzan has no choice.

Guzan is a decent goalkeeper but not sure I'd go as far as saying he's one of the top 3 keepers in the premier league.

This.

Guzan is a good keeper, nothing more imo. I think a lot of his mistakes get over-looked on here whereas others, bennett & holt for example, get ripped to pieces.

In fact holt hadn't even had chance to make a mistake before the vultures were on him!

Evertons free kick, brunt & mulumbu's goals, arsenals 2, I think he should have done better with all of them.

No.

I actually can't remember Arsenal's goals, but I'd say you're wrong with all the rest.

Top 3 keepers in the league? Probably not, but he's right up there, and only just outside that elite top group. I can only really think of De Gea, Lloris and Cech (when he's on form) who I'd say are obviously better than him.

I think he's in the tier below those 3 along with the likes of Begovic.

Keepers just live off rep though. Lloris has been really bad this year, cost spurs several goals. Cech as well was poor the first half of the year. However, some of the goals people claim Guzan should've saved are insane. Villa talk is so tough on keepers.

Guzan is a decent goalkeeper but not sure I'd go as far as saying he's one of the top 3 keepers in the premier league.

This.

Guzan is a good keeper, nothing more imo. I think a lot of his mistakes get over-looked on here whereas others, bennett & holt for example, get ripped to pieces.

In fact holt hadn't even had chance to make a mistake before the vultures were on him!

Evertons free kick, brunt & mulumbu's goals, arsenals 2, I think he should have done better with all of them.

No.

I actually can't remember Arsenal's goals, but I'd say you're wrong with all the rest.

Top 3 keepers in the league? Probably not, but he's right up there, and only just outside that elite top group. I can only really think of De Gea, Lloris and Cech (when he's on form) who I'd say are obviously better than him.

I think he's in the tier below those 3 along with the likes of Begovic.

Keepers just live off rep though. Lloris has been really bad this year, cost spurs several goals. Cech as well was poor the first half of the year. However, some of the goals people claim Guzan should've saved are insane. Villa talk is so tough on keepers.

I don't think Lloris has been really bad at all. Quite the opposite.

But anyway, I agree with your general point.

Lloris would make fewer mistakes if had a better footballing defender around him insted of Dawson

Completely off topic, but it baffles me how Dawson is Spurs captain.

A completely average footballer. They could and should be doing much better than him.

Â