Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Staying on his feet etc, was not the problem for the goal. He should have remained on the line and let Bacuna deal with the situation, because no matter what happened Sidwell wouldn't be able to score from that position. However, when Guzan leaves and joins in he did just what he needed to score an easy goal. Poor goalkeeping and also poor defending by Bacuna, who obviously is not a defender. He is costing us goals now Bacuna, not the first time this season. Unlucky with the penalty of course, that was never a penalty.

Staying on his feet etc, was not the problem for the goal. He should have remained on the line and let Bacuna deal with the situation, because no matter what happened Sidwell wouldn't be able to score from that position. However, when Guzan leaves and joins in he did just what he needed to score an easy goal. Poor goalkeeping and also poor defending by Bacuna, who obviously is not a defender. He is costing us goals now Bacuna, not the first time this season. Unlucky with the penalty of course, that was never a penalty.

I agree with this. Partly to blame for the first goal definitely.

I blame Niall Quinn. Guzman isn't as good as Guzan. Just as Shilla was much poorer then Sylla.

Yeah and Wiseman played shit too....

Is it possible to complain to Sky about that? I know it may sound over the top but as a commentator he should at least be getting the names right and I find it quite disrespectful to the players, fans and club as a whole that he can't even do that. It wasn't a mistake. For whatever reason he clearly chose to get these names wrong.

Edited by Mantis

Seemed like a communication error on the first goal because if he just remained on his line, it would have been an easy save. Oh well. Guzan has saved us so many times this season, we can let this one slide. That one goal didn't cost us the match. Plus he was an amazing save earlier on Berbatov.

Don't want to be too harsh on him but what the hell was he doing for the first? Can't for the life of me see why he doesn't stay on his feet.

I've thought about this for a while and the only reason I can think of is that he thought bacuna was going to poke the ball out for a corner and he was trying to get out of the way to avoid a deflection. Doesn't sound very feasible though, I agree it doesn't make sense

Don't want to be too harsh on him but what the hell was he doing for the first? Can't for the life of me see why he doesn't stay on his feet.

I think that is a bit harsh. If Sidwell had finished like any normal person he'd have saved it and we'd all be saying well done.

It was a very very good finish.

But it's a fair point about staying on his line.

Edited by Stevo985

But that's hindsight isn't it.

You could say that about every goalkeeper who's ever had the ball dinked over them, even though they might have done everything right.

If a goalkeeper stands up straight and the ball is slid through their legs or low either side of them, we'd all be saying "well why didn't he go down and spread himself?"

In hindsight, he chose the wrong option, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a (big, at least) mistake.

I'd agree, for me it was a freak goal. If Sidwell had put it through Guzan's legs, people would say the opposite. Sidwell was sliding for the ball, so you can understand why Guzan went in like that. There were two mistakes before it anyway, one was KEA again losing the sodding the ball in his own half, and then Bacuna not being strong enough defensively.

I'd agree if the angle wasn't so tight. I am not trying to push all the blame on Guzan though even if that is how it might have came across. He is still a great GK.

The angle may have been tight, but the dink happened due to the bounce before Sidwell got to it to lift it over, if the ball is rolling which I'd assume is the way Guzan read it, he'd never have been able to dink it out by stretching for it, if that makes sense.

I'd agree if the angle wasn't so tight. I am not trying to push all the blame on Guzan though even if that is how it might have came across. He is still a great GK.

The angle may have been tight, but the dink happened due to the bounce before Sidwell got to it to lift it over, if the ball is rolling which I'd assume is the way Guzan read it, he'd never have been able to dink it out by stretching for it, if that makes sense.

I see what you are trying to say but the fact remains that even if Sidwell wasn't able to dink it, it would still have been an easy save. If he had stayed on his feet and nearer his line, he would've had all bases covered.

im not going to blame Guzan as that guy has saved us so many times in last 18 months he is immune from a mistake or two even if i dont think he was at fault for the goal on sunday.

as for niall quinn he is a condescending creep

• 2 weeks later...

Brad is top 5 keeper in the PL:

Asmir Begovic, Wojciech Szczesny, Tim Howard, Brad Guzan and Simon Mignolet are the top five goalkeepers in the Premier League, say WhoScored.

Such has been the varying form of so many of the Premier League's goalkeepers, the coveted No. 1 jersey in WhoScored.com's Premier League team of the season has chopped and changed between no fewer than five different stoppers already this campaign.

Unfortunately for most, inconsistency has been the name of the game this season.

The likes of Petr Cech, Joe Hart and Hugo Lloris have built reputations as top-class Premier League goalkeepers but by their standards his season has undeniably been below par.

In a recent run of three games against Southampton, Sunderland and Stoke, Cech faced seven shots on target and was beaten by each attempt. Even against Palace at the weekend, he didn't look back to his usual, calm self, with Marouane Chamakh putting a fairly tame effort past him.

He has already made as many or more errors that have led to an opposition goal this season (2) than he did in any of his previous three campaigns.

Manchester-City-v-Plzen-Joe-Hart-dejecte

Hart's gaffes have seen him dropped for Costel Pantilimon at City, while the 15 goals Hugo Lloris has shipped in the last five Premier League games have seen him drop and way down to ninth in WhoScored's goalkeeper rankings.

He too has made more goal-inducing errors this season (2) than he did in the whole of any of his last three seasons. The Frenchman's forays off his line to sweep up behind the defence have gone from necessary to unreliable, and what was a sturdy Spurs defence suddenly looks frail and unconvincing.

David De Gea, meanwhile, has improved in terms of confidence this season, but still remains somewhat shaky. His distribution is amongst the best in the league, while his reflexes are also paramount to a Manchester United team that have allowed opponents 12.1 shots per game this season, but having caught only 11 crosses in 16 appearances this season, it is clear where the problems still lie.

PLgoalies_3053468.jpg

Simon Mignolet has had a decent start to life at Liverpool, and is currently the fifth-best-rated goalkeeper in the Premier League (6.96).

He too, however, has shown a lack of consistency this season, with particularly poor performances in the draw at Newcastle and loss at Hull standing out.

His shot-stopping is up there with the very best - his saves-to-shots-on-target-faced ratio of 76.7% is the best in the Premier League - but his reluctancy to come off his line is sometimes exposed.

Nine of the 18 goals he has conceded this season (50%) have come from crosses, and his 12 cross-claims is higher only than De Gea and Allan McGregor (8) of Premier League regulars.

Just ahead of Mignolet in the WhoScored rankings in Aston Villa's Brad Guzan (7.05), whose good work has gone a long way to his team boasting the second best defensive record in away games in the Premier League this season (nine goals conceded).

Having saved 69.0% of the shots on target he has been dealt, he is only just above average in this sense, but his imposing figure gives him the confidence to come out and dominate his area. He has successfully claimed an incredible 48 crosses this season, a tally 16 greater than any other player in England's top tier.

Only marginally ahead is Guzan's compatriot Tim Howard (7.05) who leads the Premier League for clean sheets, with his impressive Everton side building the foundations of what looks like it may be a fruitful season on a solid defence.

He has already made 44 saves this season, including a league-high two penalty saves (though one did rebound off the post then him and into the goal), and even has an assist to his name.

After a spell at Manchester United where he became the latest to try and fail to fill the boots of Peter Schmeichel, Howard has established himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League.

_3001634.jpg

Wojciech Szczesny lost his spot in the team of the season this weekend after he conceded six goals, saved only one shot, gave away a penalty and was booked in defeat at Manchester City at the weekend.

The Pole had shown signs of finally becoming the dependable stopper than Arsenal hoped he will be, but at the Etihad he displayed the dark side that remains. That performance saw his save success rate drop from an incredibly impressive 80% to a mid-range 73.1%, and fans of the Gunners will be praying that his confidence isn't shaken, with a tough Christmas period coming up where their title credentials will again be tested.

Asmir-Begovic-Stats_3043622.jpg

Top of the charts, though, is the keeper that continues to ply his trade in mid-table and yet be consistently linked with moves to the league's upper echelons.

Asmir Begovic currently holds the spot in goal in the WhoScored team of the season with a rating of 7.07 just superior to the chasing pack.

He has so far this season saved 73.4% of the shots he has faced (fifth-best in the Premier League), claimed 32 crosses (second best) and kept six clean sheets (fourth best).

Mark Hughes has got him playing fewer of his passes long (6.6 per game compared to 8.4 and 10 in previous campaigns), and his pass success rate has increased (58.6%) as a result.

He seems to be continuing to mould into the all-round stopper that, possibly, the bigger clubs will once again come in for in the summer.

That so little separates the best of the goalkeepers only serves to highlight the inconsistencies that remain throughout the top stoppers. With the Premier League title race hotting up, performances - either good or bad - could make a huge difference come May.
Edited by momo

Guzans being hurt by save percentage, which is honestly relatively meaningless. It's just about what types of shots you face, and I can't think of many Guzan should've saved. Still, shows that he's been very good, and does give credence to the fact that having him replace Howard for the US should at least be an idea, as he was far better than Howard last year and has been similar this year.

I mean 48 claimed should nullify any save % problems. Coming out and claiming all those crosses is such a help to our defense. It stops shots. It stops second balls bouncing around. It helps defenders out.

I still think he's prone to letting an "easy" one in, especially if its low, and he's a little slow coming off his line to sweep up but I genuinely think that he's the #1 for the US after Brazil

I mean 48 claimed should nullify any save % problems. Coming out and claiming all those crosses is such a help to our defense. It stops shots. It stops second balls bouncing around. It helps defenders out.

I still think he's prone to letting an "easy" one in, especially if its low, and he's a little slow coming off his line to sweep up but I genuinely think that he's the #1 for the US after Brazil

Oh I agree the crosses are more important, I'm just saying he'd be higher up if his save % was more in line with the others (something that's more out of his control) he'd be ranked better. And as for the US I agree he will be after the World Cup, I just hope it doesn't hurt the US to keep Howard ahead of Guzan during the World Cup.

Â