Brad Guzan

R.Bear

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He really wasn't. I remember a game against Blackburn early on in his villa career and he flapped at everything. To claim he was one of the best in the league is a massive exaggeration. 

I think it's unfair to cite his first game (IIRC) in the first team as evidence for his ability to claim crosses.

For a season or two he was excellent at claiming them. I'm sure there was a stat one season that he had something like a 95% success rate (I'll try and find it)which probably would have put him amongst the best in the league

Edit:

0,,10265~11973148,00.jpg

Could only find this. I'm sure the stat I heard was a percentage, but this still shows he had the most successful "high claims".

In fact that whole selection shows how much he's declined. 4th in the league for number of errors, 2nd for accurate goal kicks, 4th for saves inside the box.

I wonder how he'd rank in those categories now

Edited by Stevo985

On 09/04/2016 at 23:20, MuleAthon said:

There's ways and means of doing so that can have a less catastrophic impact on the player. Obviously I don't know what was said to Guzan in private but it appears he was left as an outcast by the (one of the) previous regime(s) and he has never psychologically recovered; like so many of this squad he appears to be a broken man who isn't surrounded by the kind of talented players who can help to break a downward spiral.

But where some players can get by through persistence (arguably Westwood or Hutton, in this current team), or positivity (Ayew, for example), a goalkeeper is only ever really spotlit for negative reasons and he's struggled behind this colander of a defence, understandably so I think, so I don't think he's been treated particularly well by the club, no.

If that's the case then chuck him on the pile of mentally weak players who need to be outcast as soon as is possible. 

It's not true about the spotlight only being on keepers when they're rubbish either. If it weren't for Benteke I imagine 90% of Villa fans would have had Guzan player of the season in 12/13. 

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's unfair to cite his first game (IIRC) in the first team as evidence for his ability to claim crosses.

For a season or two he was excellent at claiming them. I'm sure there was a stat one season that he had something like a 95% success rate (I'll try and find it)which probably would have put him amongst the best in the league

Edit:

0,,10265~11973148,00.jpg

Could only find this. I'm sure the stat I heard was a percentage, but this still shows he had the most successful "high claims".

In fact that whole selection shows how much he's declined. 4th in the league for number of errors, 2nd for accurate goal kicks, 4th for saves inside the box.

I wonder how he'd rank in those categories now

Have to say I'm surprised by those crossing stats. I stand corrected 

He was excellent that season and the decline has been huge. 

• Like 4

If that's the case then chuck him on the pile of mentally weak players who need to be outcast as soon as is possible. 

It's not true about the spotlight only being on keepers when they're rubbish either. If it weren't for Benteke I imagine 90% of Villa fans would have had Guzan player of the season in 12/13. 

I don't disagree with the get rid premise, only the worry that there are other areas to strengthen which should be prioritised over this one, meaning a stay of execution if you like on his place.

A lot of his goal kicks were directed to Benteke who had the best aerial win percentage in the league. Guzan and Benteke helped each other out stats wise in that aspect.

Guzan was a good keeper. Those stats prove it. From 2012-2014, Guzan was a top keeper. He started to stutter a bit towards the end of Lambert's tenure. but the whole team was playing god awful then. Sherwood took over and Guzan's form fell off a cliff. He hasn't recovered since then. 

Can Guzan get back to his previous form? Maybe, but it's risky to bet on that. I personally think we should keep him though. His wages aren't that high, and he would be a great back-up/rotation keeper to Steer next season. I trust Guzan a lot more than I trust Bunn, so going off that, I'd rather keep Guzan and have Steer competing with him for the #1 spot. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Brad has been shit this season. But his kicking has been continually blown out of proportion on VillaTalk.

I think it's one of those things that you don't notice until you have a reason to. A keeper could have solid distribution 99% of the time, but one clanger (and to be fair, Brad's had more than 1) sticks in the memory a lot longer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He really wasn't. I remember a game against Blackburn early on in his villa career and he flapped at everything. To claim he was one of the best in the league is a massive exaggeration. 

12/13 he was brilliant on crosses. You saw the issues we had in the cup from set pieces when Given was put back in that year. I meant that aspect rather than all round which is far more debatable. 

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

A lot of his goal kicks were directed to Benteke who had the best aerial win percentage in the league. Guzan and Benteke helped each other out stats wise in that aspect.

Guzan was a good keeper. Those stats prove it. From 2012-2014, Guzan was a top keeper. He started to stutter a bit towards the end of Lambert's tenure. but the whole team was playing god awful then. Sherwood took over and Guzan's form fell off a cliff. He hasn't recovered since then. 

Can Guzan get back to his previous form? Maybe, but it's risky to bet on that. I personally think we should keep him though. His wages aren't that high, and he would be a great back-up/rotation keeper to Steer next season. I trust Guzan a lot more than I trust Bunn, so going off that, I'd rather keep Guzan and have Steer competing with him for the #1 spot. 

Guzan wouldn't want to be number 2 in the championship. Don't forget Tim Howard is going back to MLS this summer and is back as USA's number one. If Guzan can go back to MLS and have a couple of good seasons he'd have a better chance of being US number one at the world cup.

He's mentally shot here now. For his own career sake let him go.

Unless he has a 90% wage drop clause in his contract we can't afford to have him here next season, and especially not as #2.

Paying PL wages to a mediocre keeper in the Championship is just not an option.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Unless he has a 90% wage drop clause in his contract we can't afford to have him here next season, and especially not as #2.

Paying PL wages to a mediocre keeper in the Championship is just not an option.

Yes, exactly. A new keeper and Steer will be about all we can afford. 

Guzan's almost certainly on over £30k/week, way too much for a backup. 

Â