Gym Routine

olboydave

Same, chest flies are the only one of those I do. But I don't particularly enjoy them so might use that to drop them :)

Edited by Stevo985

I love flyes. One of my favourite chest exercises. Holding the stretch position for 2-3 seconds makes them even more effective. Started super-setting them with crush presses recently. Awesome pump. 

Did my first back squats in 3 years tonight and first squatting of any kind for about a month due to, ironically, a finger injury. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I was able to lift!

On 19/04/2016 at 17:16, V01 said:

I've gone up on Squat from 30kg to 35kg (had to skip it last wednesday - doms)

Bench 20kg to 30kg

Row 30kg to 37.5kg

Overhead 22.5kg to 30kg

Deadlift 40kg to 50kg

I have had a bit of a setback though, I guessed my weight to be 130kg used the fancy scales at the gym before my workout and got a disappointing ticket

Age 34   Male

Weight: 20st 13lbs - 133.1kg

Height: 5'11.2" - 1.81m

Ideal weight: 9st 7 to 12st 12 - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 40.6

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 36.9%

Ideal: 14.5 to 24.5

Checked my progress last night, pleased with the direction it's going, used the fancy scales at the gym and it shows some progress. 

Age 34   Male

Weight: 20st 2lbs - 128.1kg

BMI: 39.1

Body fat: 34.7%

I've gone up on Squat from 35kg to 52.5kg (deloaded to work on form and injured myself)

Bench 30kg to 52.5kg (did a couple of sets of 55kg on my off workout)

Row 37.5kg to 62.5kg

Overhead 30kg to 32.5kg (did 3x5 @ 35kg on off workout)

Deadlift 50kg to 80kg

I'm not sure if there's a visible difference in my physique yet, I think my shoulders are showing a little and my moobs might be a little broader, I doubt anyone other me would notice (or look tbh).

Used the fancy scales at the gym again

Age 34   Male

Weight: 19st 11lbs - 125.8kg (weighed myself at home when I got up and was 124.7kg)

BMI: 38.4

Body fat: 34.0%

Haven't added Bodyfat mass before, it has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg

Ideally it should be 18.5 to 30.8kg

I've gone up on Squat from 52.5kg to 85kg

Bench 52.5kg to 65kg (shit out on my first set this week then managed to grit through the next 4, kicking myself for missing that single rep)

Row 62.5kg to 72.5kg

Overhead 32.5kg to 47.5kg (shit out on my last rep tonight)

Deadlift 80kg to 105kg

Was feeling pretty good until I saw a guy warming up deadlift with 110kg, I think he ended up doing triples on 180kg.

• Like 1

Making some rapid deadlift gains of late, wearing a belt and generally eating more protein has seen me hit a PR of 190kg this past week. My squat has stalled at 140kg, with wear and tear accumulating on my knees, going have to start wrapping them up I think. Also hit 100kg bench for 2 on Monday which I'm delighted with as I'm a shit bencher. Hitting my chest twice rather than once a week has helped me progress a lot. 

I weighed in this morning at 77.9kg, which looks about right, most of my mass is in my back lol.

• Like 2

Ended up squatting 15kg higher than my PB today for 3 reps because I was sharing the rack with a giant Eastern European man who was OHPing my squat weight. He added weight for his set and for my next set which was my last, I struggled to count up the weight. It looked like too much, but every time I counted it, it changed, and the giant was watching on so I just went for it. Top tip: If you don't know what the weight on the bar is for your squat, don't just go for it. Take out your calculator and add up the numbers.

My groin does not feel too good. 

On 21/05/2016 at 00:37, YLN said:

If you don't know what the weight on the bar is, don't just go for it. Take out your calculator and add up the numbers.

FTFY.  Not limited to squat :) 

I did some research on knee wraps, turns out that there's evidence suggesting that they can harm your knees. Apparently knee sleeves are better for support/ injury prevention, but they are quite expensive, seen them cost up to £30 per sleeve.

Don't know if any of you guys can help me with this.  I have just been on some of these body composition scales that give all sorts of readings and there are a few that I don't understand if the readings are good or poor.

My body fat was 12%

Visceral fat 11%

Muscles mass 44%

Body water 64%

Any info much appreciated.

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Don't know if any of you guys can help me with this.  I have just been on some of these body composition scales that give all sorts of readings and there are a few that I don't understand if the readings are good or poor.

My body fat was 12%

Visceral fat 11%

Muscles mass 44%

Body water 64%

I wouldn't be putting a great amount of credence in that information. Body fat is decent. Could be a little lower maybe. Visceral Fat... Like fatty liver disease? No idea, A nonsense I'd imagine. Muscle mass.. I think that can be gauged by looking into a mirror; you don't need a number. Body water? Do you have oedema? If not, I wouldn't worry about this number either.

Most important number is how much you lift brah, and what the girls give your pecs out of ten.

I need to join a gym for a few month and tighten my act up. For my age, I'm in pretty good shape, but I can feel my muscle mass start to decline somewhat. Aging..:rolleyes:

12 hours ago, YLN said:
18 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

My body fat was 12%

Visceral fat 11%

Muscles mass 44%

Body water 64%

I wouldn't be putting a great amount of credence in that information. Body fat is decent. Could be a little lower maybe. Visceral Fat... Like fatty liver disease? No idea, A nonsense I'd imagine. Muscle mass.. I think that can be gauged by looking into a mirror; you don't need a number. Body water? Do you have oedema? If not, I wouldn't worry about this number either.

Most important number is how much you lift brah, and what the girls give your pecs out of ten.

Fair enough mate. It is the first time I have been on these kind of scales (someone came into work with them) and was just curious as to the readings. Usually I just go off how I feel/look and my weight on basic scales. I have been doing a lot of running the last year or so though as well as weight training, which I have done for years, and was wondering if the numbers suggested anything was suffering/being enhanced by me upping the cardio.

Ooh. Sweet upgrade to my gym in the week I was out. They've created a brand new dedicated squat rack/deadlift reinforced floor area with about 30% of the floor space and put the equipment that used to be there into an area that used to be an unused waiting area. Excellent. I saw more people deadlifting today on a Sunday morning than I've seen in there on any weekday evening, so it must be a great success :thumb:

• Like 2

Couldn't squat this week, injured my knee deadlifting last week.

I'd hit 2 plates the week before so I was pumped managing to move up again, lost concentration for a second while lowering the bar and nailed the top of my knee. I was stiff for a few days then come Monday I'd forgotten all about it. Went to the squat rack and set up an empty bar to start warming up, Low bar with a slightly wider stance works for me, I go ass to grass and my knee flares up, reset my feet and try again, nope'd out of squat and carried on with the rest of my workout. 

Tried again on Monday, still no joy. as the week has gone on I've not had any pain bending my knee at all until I've tried a squat and there's still a dull ache. Back in the gym tomorrow should I man up and get back to squatting or give the leg press a go until I'm pain free?

16 minutes ago, V01 said:

Couldn't squat this week, injured my knee deadlifting last week.

I'd hit 2 plates the week before so I was pumped managing to move up again, lost concentration for a second while lowering the bar and nailed the top of my knee. I was stiff for a few days then come Monday I'd forgotten all about it. Went to the squat rack and set up an empty bar to start warming up, Low bar with a slightly wider stance works for me, I go ass to grass and my knee flares up, reset my feet and try again, nope'd out of squat and carried on with the rest of my workout. 

Tried again on Monday, still no joy. as the week has gone on I've not had any pain bending my knee at all until I've tried a squat and there's still a dull ache. Back in the gym tomorrow should I man up and get back to squatting or give the leg press a go until I'm pain free?

Sometimes tight muscles loosen during the workout, sometimes you need the rest so as to not injure yourself. You have to just listen to your body.

Maybe start out doing a round or two of body weight squats as a test.

Â