Gym Routine

olboydave

Went to the gym this morning after work, was only a little busier than when I go during the night in the week. Managed to progress my Bench, and Squat is getting closer to where I was. 

Couldn't get to sleep when I went home though, If I can ever get up early enough on a Saturday I'll try going before work.

Went to the gym after work this morning again.

In a rack doing OHP struggling through my 3rd of 5 sets, a real life actual woman starts using the rack next to me. She went through good mornings and squats while my ohp and incline bench got smashed out pretty easily, there's a link there somewhere.

On 05/06/2016 at 14:01, Dr_Pangloss said:

Is it just me or are squats the most sensitive lift you can do? I've been ill this past week and I've only been able to train once, I wasn't 100% today but thought I'd be ok but man it was murder. Pretty much nearly fell over on my second rep at 120kg, so well below par, balance was off and my mental focus wasn't there. Curiously I hit 190kg on the deadlift a couple of days ago, my 1RM, so thought I'd have a decent session today, but I was wrong. 

For me they are far and away the most technical lift.  The most boxes to tick before and during a lift and the most that can go wrong mid lift.  So yes, if you're not feeling 100%, squats would be the first lift I would 'drop', for want of a better term.

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

For me they are far and away the most technical lift.  The most boxes to tick before and during a lift and the most that can go wrong mid lift.  So yes, if you're not feeling 100%, squats would be the first lift I would 'drop', for want of a better term.

I recently bought some Rehband's, they have helped quite a bit. I have a sneaky feeling that my poor flexibility is causing some issues. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to stretching, and although my squad depth is very deep, that's about the only thing I can do when it comes to 'flexibility'. It's just a really complex movement. 

I've had to start going later in the week, too many people at 1am. I want a choice of power racks not the one cramped in the corner.

It was Aaron Ramseys hair that did it for me...

Haha I was hoping I would get away with that one! :lol: I posted that when I was in the gym so it made sense to me at the time... Was too late to edit it by the time I realised! 

Finally back up to where I was at before I started Stronglifts. Hit my first PB today and felt a lot more comfortable with it compared to previous PB and feel I have a lot more in my tank so it must be working.

Failed on OHP again though, appears to be taking me two goes to progress up each weight.

15 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Failed on OHP again though, appears to be taking me two goes to progress up each weight.

That sounds familiar once you get near your PB.  Just don't be tempted to compromise form in order to succeed because it's worse in the long run, and that's if you don't injure yourself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOF said:

That sounds familiar once you get near your PB.  Just don't be tempted to compromise form in order to succeed because it's worse in the long run, and that's if you don't injure yourself.

It's only OHP that I'm finding this with.

My grip on DL is a little hit and miss but I'm managing the weight, but squat, bench and row I'm hitting new PB with ease.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2016 at 04:06, V01 said:

Used the fancy scales at the gym again

Age 34   Male

Weight: 19st 11lbs - 125.8kg (weighed myself at home when I got up and was 124.7kg)

Height: 5'11.2" - 1.81m

Ideal weight: 9st 7 to 12st 12 - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 38.4

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 34.0%

Ideal: 14.5 to 24.5

Haven't added Bodyfat mass before, it has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg

Ideally it should be 18.5 to 30.8kg

I've gone up on Squat from 52.5kg to 85kg

Bench 52.5kg to 65kg (shit out on my first set this week then managed to grit through the next 4, kicking myself for missing that single rep)

Row 62.5kg to 72.5kg

Overhead 32.5kg to 47.5kg (shit out on my last rep tonight)

Deadlift 80kg to 105kg

Yet again:

Age 34   Male

Weight: 19st - 120.8kg 

Height: 5'11.2" - 1.81m

Ideal weight: 9st 7 to 12st 12 - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 36.9

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 31.4%

Ideal: 14.5 to 24.5

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg

Ideally it should be 18.5 to 30.8kg

I started using creatine 2-3 weeks ago, my weightloss has slowed over this time, I'm guessing it's the water retention. slightly suspicious over the apparent weight loss, wondering if the creatine is skewing the result.

I've gone up on Squat from 85kg to 92.5kg (missed a few weeks after killing my knee with the bar during deadlifts and had to skip lower body for a week when I had a cyst removed)

Bench 65kg to 75kg ( a few stalls, needing the full minutes between sets now)

Row 72.5kg to 60kg to 72.5kg (wasn't happy with form so deloaded)

Overhead 47.5kg to 52.5kg (had to deload back down tonight though)

Deadlift 105kg to 127.5kg (stalled a few times, nearly ripped a callous off tonight hitting 127.5kg, it's turning into a nightmare, I'm **** after the warm up)

Been having pain in my hip on the side, seems to be if I move in an off centre direction. not sure if it's due to bad form on squats or an imbalance between the muscles. Are there any exercises or whatever I can do to ease it?

Edited by V01
Ohp weight

Totally off track this past month. Been sporadically going due to a lot of gardening work at home taking up a lot of my energy. I might forgo SL for the next few months and start hitting some other exercises. Not that I'm bored of Squats, Bench, Rows - Squats, OHP, DLs, but I feel my body is itching for something different. Bring on the cable work, dumbbells and kettle bells, 30 second interval circuits and higher reps.

I have another addition to the "Gym words removed Collection"

Yesterday this fella comes into the gym and heads over to the free weight floor whilst fist bumping and bro fiving a couple of the 'personal trainers'. He is one cool cat.

He then proceeds to take a bench and collect a variety of dumbbell sets ranging from 32 - 50kg. No problems there, maybe this fella is just freakishly strong for his frame?

He then walks off to have a chat on his phone. The gym is reasonably quiet but there are still only a few spare benches available.

Then two lads, can't be anymore than 15, walk onto the free weight floor and go over to where Billy big Bollocks (or BBB as he shall now be known) had created his homage to weight training.

"OI! BLAD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING FAM" rings around the gym floor. BBB has spotted some victims. They're small, young and new to weight training. They'll do nicely.

He then storms over to the bench and the teens make a hasty retreat to the next bench.

BBB is not happy and proceeds to tell his 'blud' on the phone about the disrespect he has suffered.

Now i'm doing some crunches watching this all unfold. The kids look a little upset and BBB's chest has puffed out considerably.

15 minutes in and I've walked over to the lat pull down and I've noticed that BBB hasn't actually completed a single set yet.

He then proceeds to re-rack his 50kg dumbbells, then the 42's and then the 36's. Gets bored of the rest and walks off.

BBB has achieved his goal. He has managed to get a pump without even completing a single set.

I continued to laugh to myself and shake my head in disbelief.

• Like 2

I would love to be in the mind of someone like that just for a day.  I'd love to experience the differences between sanity and ... whatever he is.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

I would love to be in the mind of someone like that just for a day.  I'd love to experience the differences between sanity and ... whatever he is.

I've often thought the same. I'd be interested to experience what it's like to be a total and utter word removed without even considering that you're being a total and utter word removed. I just can't imagine what goes through their minds. Maybe they know that they're being words removed and they just don't care. But even that I can't empathise with. I feel like a bad person if I don't put my weights back!

5 minutes ago, JB said:

I've often thought the same. I'd be interested to experience what it's like to be a total and utter word removed without even considering that you're being a total and utter word removed. I just can't imagine what goes through their minds. Maybe they know that they're being words removed and they just don't care. But even that I can't empathise with. I feel like a bad person if I don't put my weights back!

I assume, given the gym context, that there's huge amounts of juicing/steroids involved and I believe that can quite severely affect someone's personality w.r.t. tolerance and general irritability.  So I'd just put it down to that.  In the outside world though, if something similarly obnoxious happened in say a supermarket, even though I'm not one for confrontation, there comes a point as an observer where the total and utter word removed needs to be asked if they realise they're being a total and utter word removed.

Â