Gym Routine

olboydave

On 06/05/2016 at 17:05, villaglint said:

Deadlifts are the holy grail exercise for sorting out my lower back. Spent years avoiding them and trying every other therapy in the book but it was deadlifts that cured it.

Bodies and especially lower backs are stupid

The lower back problem can be the spinal erector muscles being too weak.

Deficit deadlifts are useful for targeting them.

19 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I use the leg press to do calf raises and you should see the looks I get, it's like I'm doing so mething illegal..

I always do that.

There's no other equipment in my gym that you can really do calf raises on. There's a smith machine that I've used before, but there's only one and it's usually taken by some bro squatting with it.

Edited by Stevo985

56 minutes ago, V01 said:

Do you lot seriously not have a calf press at your gyms?

Yes but I prefer the lateral motion of the leg press rather than the rotary motion of the calf press, if that's ok?

Or should I just whack the bike into a high gear and save the argument?

The cardio I (reluctantly) do now is one of those stair treadmill things. Really hard work and if you do 10 minutes of it on tip toes then your calves are **** burning!

Failed my first set on Stronglifts 5x5; doing my 4th set of OHP and guess I hadn't rested long enough and couldn't do the fifth rep.

Had a decent rest for the final set and did five reps easy.

Frustrating though as I've lifted higher weight before without issue.

I find that OHP is very easy to fail on because it's so susceptible to what you've done before in that workout, and even how you go at each set.  I've said before that OHP is the exercise that I pump myself up for the most beforehand, and then tear into it.  Relatively speaking, those shoulder muscles are the smallest muscles you'll focus on for a major compound lift so they also fatigue the quickest.  I've breezed through 50kg one day only to fail at 45 the next time out.  Very annoying, but I think I've managed to identify and stop the cause of that more and more.

• Like 1

Had a good session this morning. Hard, but good. 117.5kg squat (5x5), 50kg OHP (5x5) - Nearly failed this one, 140kg (1x5) deadlift. Did 3 and my grip went. Had no chalk so wiped down the bar and did the other 2.

Stealing my thunder as I came to crow about my 120kg deadlift last night, funnily enough I had a slight mishap mid set too, I'd been sloppy in re-racking plates and hit the edge of one as I put the bar down now there's nasty bruise on my shin. You're way ahead of me on squats too, I pushed out 50kg OHP last night too. I'd failed a rep 47.5kg last week so I took longer rests in between sets and it was fairly comfortable until the last set, that last rep was damn hard.

• Like 2

Is it just me or are squats the most sensitive lift you can do? I've been ill this past week and I've only been able to train once, I wasn't 100% today but thought I'd be ok but man it was murder. Pretty much nearly fell over on my second rep at 120kg, so well below par, balance was off and my mental focus wasn't there. Curiously I hit 190kg on the deadlift a couple of days ago, my 1RM, so thought I'd have a decent session today, but I was wrong. 

Â