Gym Routine

olboydave

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

I assume, given the gym context, that there's huge amounts of juicing/steroids involved and I believe that can quite severely affect someone's personality w.r.t. tolerance and general irritability.  So I'd just put it down to that.  In the outside world though, if something similarly obnoxious happened in say a supermarket, even though I'm not one for confrontation, there comes a point as an observer where the total and utter word removed needs to be asked if they realise they're being a total and utter word removed.

I did contemplate it but the kids didn't seem too upset after a couple of minutes so really he was just making a tit out of himself. I just found it funny.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

(with pussy pad on bar)

I use that ! :) My logic is that squatting is to work out my thighs, hips, glutes & core.  Not to put unnecessary pressure on my shoulders & upper back muscles out of a sense of machismo :) Ya big bro-shamer ;):P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I use that ! :) My logic is that squatting is to work out my thighs, hips, glutes & core.  Not to put unnecessary pressure on my shoulders & upper back muscles out of a sense of machismo :) Ya big bro-shamer ;):P

LOL my bad. To be honest, I've never had a need to use it, the bar doesn't hurt my back at all, from experience as long as you find the right bar placement for you I don't think it's all that necessary and I imagine it can be a bit distracting. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

LOL my bad. To be honest, I've never had a need to use it, the bar doesn't hurt my back at all, for experience as long as you find the right bar placement for you I don't think it's all that necessary and I imagine it can be a bit distracting. 

Hehe, np at all :) TBH I simply find it to be more comfortable which means I can concentrate 100% on form without giving anything over to trying to remain comfortable.  Even a 1 or 2% help makes it worth it for me :thumb:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Impressive gains there @V01 well done.  Particularly on the overhead.  If you're doing 5x5x55 now then that's a hell of an increase.

I mistyped there, smashed 52.5kg but stalled on 55kg. Best I managed was 5/5/5/5/2. Really want to hit a plate on ohp, feels like I'll get 2 plates on bench first.

Thinking about what program to move to after SL, been looking at PHUL as I could manage 4 days in a row. Would mean less frequency on squats so I'm going to wait until it's caught up with my other lifts. I like doing 5x5 but I'm spending a lot more time resting then lifting now for most of my lifts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hit 130kg deadlift for 5 yesterday morning, felt a bit lightheaded afterwards and had to sit down. Still felt like a boss.

Going for a 2 plate squat tonight, I might be walking home bow legged.

I've been doing some GVT/Pyramid style leg pressing.

I recently dislocated my knee cap playing football and damaged the cartilage so i'm trying to build back strength.

I go from 50kg x 10 all the way up to 150kg x 10 and then back down again.

It's a killer but helps me to keep my knee stable.

There is one of those giant guys at our gym who looks like a crab because he is all red and has huge arms upper body. 

We was doing a should shrug today with the barbell and had about 40kg on there and I thought oh that looks an interesting exercise I'll give that a go sometime. 

By the time he finished he had 230kg on there altogether. Wowsers! 

4 minutes ago, villaglint said:

There is one of those giant guys at our gym who looks like a crab because he is all red and has huge arms upper body. 

We was doing a should shrug today with the barbell and had about 40kg on there and I thought oh that looks an interesting exercise I'll give that a go sometime. 

By the time he finished he had 230kg on there altogether. Wowsers! 

230kg Shrug?? 

I've actually just watched one of the most pathetic over uses of weight and piss poor form.

Edited by sexbelowsound

102.5kg squat 5x5 and 132.5kg deadlift 1x5 last night/this morning. I had a guy tell me I was doing good weight on squat that gave me aittle ego boost until I looked across to the leg press and saw a guy doing reps @ 280kg then throwing on another couple of 20s for more reps. 

38 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

230kg Shrug?? 

I've actually just watched one of the most pathetic over uses of weight and piss poor form.

HE's not even touching where he's aiming there. If anything he's turned it into a leg exercise. That's the only thing lifting that weight.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

HE's not even touching where he's aiming there. If anything he's turned it into a leg exercise. That's the only thing lifting that weight.

Yeah but it's heavy as **** so that makes it ok! 

That shit really pisses off and judging by his legs he could do with doing some actual leg exercises. 

Â