Gym Routine

olboydave

11 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'm watching a Crossfit documentary on NetFlix.

I've come to the conclusion that this sport is more full of false advertising than body building. Everyone of these 'competitors' male and female are clearly on the Vitamin S.

Most cross fitters that I've seen lift with extremely bad form and do exercises which will almost certainly lead to injury. It seems a bit of a fad to be perfectly honest.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Most cross fitters that I've seen lift with extremely bad form and do exercises which will almost certainly lead to injury. It seems a bit of a fad to be perfectly honest.

Have you seen the extent of its growth though? I wasn't aware they had World Championships that they host in American Football Stadiums.

The competitors are all preaching shit like work ethic, positivity, master of all crafts etc and i'm sure they are very fit but not once do they address the massive elephant in the room which is clearly steroids, and a lot of them.

I think Crossfit has some really dedicated and really in shape competitors. The guys at the top of the sport are incredible.

But there's a hell of a lot of crossfitters who are downright dangerous. A guy I work with does it and I've seen some of his videos of their competitions and some of them are scary.

That being said, I bet there's a hell of a lot of bodybuilders or gym goers who do lift terribly. The difference is they (we) don't do organised competitions that highlight it.

12 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Have you seen the extent of its growth though? I wasn't aware they had World Championships that they host in American Football Stadiums.

The competitors are all preaching shit like work ethic, positivity, master of all crafts etc and i'm sure they are very fit but not once do they address the massive elephant in the room which is clearly steroids, and a lot of them.

It's massive. It's turned itself into a lifestyle brand, crossfit is kind of a 'way of life' for many and a lot of 'celebrities' and brands have got behind it. But I have a feeling it won't be around in 10 years time. The crossfit games are a bit of a joke, attendances and viewing figures aren't particularly impressive.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I go to a gym populated by those people. I'm an absolute novice that had never been to a gym before March, and some of the stuff I see in there scares the shit out of me.

I tend to just keep my headphones in, my eyes down, and mind my own business, but I had to say something when I saw one of them using the leg press machine and locking his knees every time. It was mostly a selfish desire to not see someone break their legs when I was about to have lunch. :P 

Hit a triple on a 3 plate deadlift at the gym earlier, would have hit 5 reps if my grip didn't fail.

Was up to 107.5kg on squats but I've noticed my knees are caving so I've dropped back down to 80 to try and fix my form. Also started to use the adductor/abductor/whatever it is for the side hip machine thing. Couple of lightish sets pre squat and then a few heavy ones at the end of my workout.

Added in calf press last few sessions, 2-3 sets of 15-20, tried it with 25s tonight wasn't so bad. Had a few sets on leg press too, someone left 25s on it so I just went with that to see how it goes. Is it worth substituting it in for squats once a week, go lighter for single leg presses then a heavy set or two to finish?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V01 said:

Hit a triple on a 3 plate deadlift at the gym earlier, would have hit 5 reps if my grip didn't fail.

Assuming you mean each side and hit 142.5kg total. 

Congrats.

1 hour ago, V01 said:

Yup 3 plates each side 140kgs. I had a couple of minutes rest then tried again but my grip could only manage a single. 

Do you use mixed grip (one overhand, one underhand) on D/L ?  I find that helps massively.

Whilst we're on the topic of progress I'm now able to squad 140kg for 3 sets of 3. I'm really happy with this. up until 6-7 weeks ago I was hitting my one rep max each week, this culminated in a lift of 150kg, however the cost of lifting like this put a lot of stress on my knees and it got to the point of me having some sort of tendon injury. Whenever I'd squat 130kg or more I'd feel a burning pain around one of the tendons in my left knee, this would then hurt for 3-4 days after lifting. 

Then a few weeks ago I humbled myself and dropped the weight and increased the reps, now I'm stronger than ever (couldn't do 140kg x 3 before) and have zero pain in my leg.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2016 at 15:14, V01 said:

Yeah, I'm normal grip on warm up up to 100kg then switch to mixed grip. Just one of those days I guess. 

I tried chalk whilst deadlifting today and it made a big difference to my grip. 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2016 at 04:36, V01 said:

Age 34   Male

Weight: 19st - 120.8kg 

Height: 5'11.2" - 1.81m

Ideal weight: 9st 7 to 12st 12 - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 36.9

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 31.4%

Ideal: 14.5 to 24.5

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg

Ideally it should be 18.5 to 30.8kg

I've gone up on Squat from 85kg to 92.5kg (missed a few weeks after killing my knee with the bar during deadlifts and had to skip lower body for a week when I had a cyst removed)

Bench 65kg to 75kg ( a few stalls, needing the full minutes between sets now)

Row 72.5kg to 60kg to 72.5kg (wasn't happy with form so deloaded)

Overhead 47.5kg to 52.5kg (had to deload back down tonight though)

Deadlift 105kg to 127.5kg (stalled a few times, nearly ripped a callous off tonight hitting 127.5kg, it's turning into a nightmare, I'm **** after the warm up)

Age 35   Male

Weight: 18st 6lbs - 117.3kg 

Height: 5'11.6" - 1.82m  I've either grown or improved my posture

Ideal weight: 9st 9 to 13st - 61.2kg-82.8kg

BMI: 35.4

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 30.7%

Ideal: 14.5 to 24.5

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg > 36kg

Ideally it should be 18.5 to 30.8kg

Squat 82.5kg (dropped down from 107.5 to fix my knees caving)

Bench 70kg to 72.5kg (hurt my shoulder and missed a week then had to deload, missed a rep when I was trying 75kg)  

Row 72.5kg to 75kg struggling to move past this.

Overhead 52.5kg (had to deload because of my shoulder from bench, missed a rep on 55kg tonight)

Deadlift 127.5kg to 140kg (Remembered my chalk today, last few inches on final rep were tough, managed to grind it out though)

• Like 1

It's been a while since I failed on the 25th lift, but I managed it yesterday on the overhead press (50kg) :rant:  In a way I was surprised I even got that far after the 5th lift on both the 3rd & 4th set were a big struggle too.  Next time hopefully.

Succeeded on bench though and am back to 85kg.

Trying to get the discipline back slowly.

Oh and here's a 'thing that should damn well piss you off' in the gym (and I thought I had none!)

I was IN THE MIDDLE of squatting 85kg the other day.  It was I think my 4th set or so, although that's completely irrelevant.  I was pretty tired at the time though which did make it worse.  There were a few unused plates on the floor directly under the end of my barbell (no I had not placed them there).  A guy comes over, lowers himself to his hunkers (I'm mid set now remember) and goes in under my bar while I'm standing in order to retrieve 2 of them for himself.  Three things here.  You're directly in the way of a pretty heavy **** weight now pal.  I am now prevented from completing a squat until you **** off back to wherever you came from and thirdly, I had to adjust my movement in order to allow word removed face to do that, and I damn near tweaked my back in doing this unexpected movement.  Absolute **** rocket polisher.  I don't think I've ever seen something quite so inconsiderate or bone-headed being done in a gym before.

Does anyone follow the IIFYM - flexible diet?

Looked at a few different online calculators to find my TDEE and Protein/Carb/Fat split but finding no consistency in the results.

Any advice on how to calculate these?

It's annoying when the limiting factor on your squat is not the muscles you're working on but something else.  In my case my lower back.  Yesterday I did 5x5x90kg which is a dawdle for the muscles being activated, but the compression effect on my lower back was noticeable towards the 5th set and I powered on against my better instincts.  I was fine afterwards but I know I was close to my back's limit :(  I don't think I'll be getting anywhere near my 127.5kg PB in the near future.

Â