Gym Routine

olboydave

On 17/04/2016 at 14:28, Dr_Pangloss said:

Right now my max squat is 137.5kg and my max deadlift is now 177.5kg (both un-assisted i.e. no belt etc). So a 3 plate squat and a 4 plate deadlift is not too far away, given how tough the reps are at those weights I'll take it as it comes, perhaps in 2-3 weeks I will attempt to beat them. I weigh about 77kg (in the morning) so not too shabby.

Nice lifts there mate. I'm nearly down to 90kg weight. Hopefully can keep losing a few kg and keep my lifts going up. Wanna get down to 85kg if I can. Will be the lightest I've been since I was 18 then I think!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Nice lifts there mate. I'm nearly down to 90kg weight. Hopefully can keep losing a few kg and keep my lifts going up. Wanna get down to 85kg if I can. Will be the lightest I've been since I was 18 then I think!

I'm 90.5kg and about 10/15kg behind you on your lifts/sets. I'm starting on stronglifts 5x5 in a few weeks and hope to make some decent progress on it.

Has anyone who has done the Stronglifts 5x5 programme and downloaded the app; also paid the £10 fee for the advanced app (whatever it is)?

If so, is it worth it or should I just stick with the basic app?

Depends really, is warm ups, accessories and having it turn into madcow when you've progressed past it worth £10 to you? 

It's a very user friendly app, but Fitnotes can hold all the same info, it just doesn't automatically increase the weight etc(afaik)

Basically you have to ask yourself if you're willing to pay £10 to not have to think at the gym.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, V01 said:

Depends really, is warm ups, accessories and having it turn into madcow when you've progressed past it worth £10 to you? 

It's a very user friendly app, but Fitnotes can hold all the same info, it just doesn't automatically increase the weight etc(afaik)

Basically you have to ask yourself if you're willing to pay £10 to not have to think at the gym.

What do you mean by 'accessories'?

Think I'll probably pay it for the Madcow.

You get a list of accessory exercises you can add to your workout or you can type the name (I added bench and overhead to the opposite workout so I can do it every session)

turning into madcow is 2nd hand, I was being lazy. The app tells you to deload after 3 fails, eventually you won't be able to progress so it changes to 3 rep sets then 1 rep sets after that. It will still be the same workout just different rep scheme.

Edited by V01
extra words
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Has anyone who has done the Stronglifts 5x5 programme and downloaded the app; also paid the £10 fee for the advanced app (whatever it is)?

If so, is it worth it or should I just stick with the basic app?

I use the free app as I'm lazy and it helps me keep track during my workout / rest times and also automatically sorts the increased weight for the next workout. Log all my workouts on Fitocracy which is awesome. Level up, set PBs, be social with other users.. That little bit of extra motivation to have a good workout

• Like 1

Had the urge to deadlift yesterday (Mostly because someone had left a barbell with weights on it so I thought, why not)

Anyway. Wanted to see what my 1 rep max was so started off with what was on the bar which was 80kg of plates and worked my way up to 130kg of plates.

So including the bar a 1 rep max of 150kg. I was well chuffed, especially as I was completely fasted.

Makes me more excited to run a proper 'strength' program this Summer.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

All of my workouts are fasted. I go first thing in the morning so only have water during workout. I know probably in the long run I won't be able to sustain the HEAVY weights (i.e. 150 squats or 190 DLs) but it's working at the moment and I'm still increasing my loads.

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

All of my workouts are fasted. I go first thing in the morning so only have water during workout. I know probably in the long run I won't be able to sustain the HEAVY weights (i.e. 150 squats or 190 DLs) but it's working at the moment and I'm still increasing my loads.

I'm yet to fully understand how the whole fasted, none fasted stuff works. I've had sessions fasted where I've smashed PRs and I've had sessions where I've carb loaded where I feel like shit and vice versa. I've had sessions where i've been fasted from the night before and worked out early in the morning, so roughly 12 hours, that I've felt lethargic in and I've had 24 hour fasted sessions where I've felt amazing.

Nutrition isn't complicated but I think pre-workout nutrition is.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Â