Gym Routine

olboydave

I figured that's pretty much what you'd make of that list :lol:  It must be rare to like that genre and be ... 'naturally aspirated' shall we say :) 

I've found my lower back problems have disappeared since I dropped deadlifts.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed them, but either my back is **** or I was doing them slightly wrong or a combination of both, but every now and then I'd put my back out.

Now I've dropped them and kept everything else and it's fine.

Deadlifts are the holy grail exercise for sorting out my lower back. Spent years avoiding them and trying every other therapy in the book but it was deadlifts that cured it.

Bodies and especially lower backs are stupid

On 06/05/2016 at 14:45, BOF said:

So.  Playlists.  What do we all listen to in the gym?  Do you just listen to whatever they're pumping out over the gym sound system or do you bring your own carefully ordered choons?  Are you one of those who are constantly adjusting what's playing and what's coming next, or do you stick it on from the start knowing that everything that follows is a belter?

Mine is very trance-orientated.

1 Ferry Corsten - Anahera (great first tune in a dance playlist as it brings it all up)

2 Turboweekend - Trouble Is (Tiësto mix)

3 Solar Stone - Solarcoaster (Midway Mix)

4 Gabriel & Dresden feat. Jan Burton - Dangerous (Kuffdam And Plant Remix)

5 Andy Blueman - Time To Rest (Original)

6 Luminary - Amsterdam (Super8 & Tab remix)

7 NU NRG - Butterfly (Giuseppe Ottaviani 2010 Remix)

8 Saltwater - The Legacy (Alphazone remix)

9 DJ Kim - Jetlag (Alphazone remix)

10 Ferry Corsten - Reborn (Original extended)

11 Veracocha - Carte Blanche (Original)

12 Sigma feat. Labyrinth - Higher (Grant Nelson remix)

13 2 Max's - Fable 2008 (Violins Space remix)

14 Ben Gold - Profile (Original)

15 Faithless - Music Matters

That tends to get me to the end of the workout :thumb:

I wonder what @Xann would make of that list :P

I don't really go for that sort of music. 

The music I listen to at the gym isn't to pump me up. It's just to distract my mind when I'm not lifting really.

Sometimes I listen to podcasts as well.

Did my first Stronglifts 5 x 5 session today. Felt a bit silly doing full sets of what felt like a warm-up weight. Hopefully it's worth it in the long run.

• Like 2

Beasted the gym tonight and now my arms are quite literally dropping off, well not literally, but figuratively. 

80kg 5x5 on squats.

Struggled with 47.5kg on overhead press, shit on after 3 reps on my 4th set then took a 5 minute and managed the full on my last before hitting another 4 to boost the volume for the week. Looking back I probably should have taken 3 minute rests instead of 90 seconds.

Hit 100kg 1x5 on deadlift to give my ego a little boost after failing overhead press

Took two plates off and was rerack the bar on the squat rack with 60kgs on it but had a stupid idea to pop out 2x5 on pendlay rows.

25kg 3x15 on facepulls

52.5kg 3x5 on incline bench

Shit out on my pull ups 5/3/2, my arms were literally dropping off then, well figuratively dropping off.

Lost a bit more weight too, down to 125.6 kg, another 30-40kg to go.

• Like 1

I've only just got back into the weights after well over a year off and I'm staggered at how quickly I'm putting the muscle back on - with no supplements at all.

There's so much broscience on the internet. I was militant before in having set nights for certain muscle groups. Now I'm just going round doing a bit of what I fancy, and I'm really enjoying it again.

I've lost a sh*t load of strength though. My first attempt at dips was a shock.

Five Finger Death Punch

Avenged Sevenfold

Hatebreed

Trivium

They're the main albums I listen to when pumping iron.

Dropped a few KGs on my lifts as I hadn't been the gym in a week so thought better safe than sorry. Should be back up to where I was previously on Monday.

SQ: 110kg, B: 70kg, OHP: 47.5kg, DL: 135kg, R: 47.5kg

On 09/05/2016 at 20:26, Rds1983 said:

Did my first Stronglifts 5 x 5 session today. Felt a bit silly doing full sets of what felt like a warm-up weight. Hopefully it's worth it in the long run.

It will be. It's great motivation hitting PRs every week too until you get to the higher weights.

33 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

It will be. It's great motivation hitting PRs every week too until you get to the higher weights.

Did my third workout today and not tired at all. I even added five sets of dips.

Really tempted to jack the weights up a load but everything I've read says not too.

Will see how things go in a few weeks.

28 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Did my third workout today and not tired at all. I even added five sets of dips.

Really tempted to jack the weights up a load but everything I've read says not too.

Will see how things go in a few weeks.

All to do with form as well mate. The reason you start at the bottom is so your form is true. As you begin to add weights you'll find that your form might suffer, so rather than concentrating on how heavy it is or how you feel after the workout just concentrate on your form for now. It'll help in the long run. You'll soon see the benefits.

Nothing stopping you from adding some other exercises on at the end. Just make sure that the 5x5 is done before hand.

Anyone any experience with the Jefferson squat? This is my continued quest to replace the deadlift with something that doesn't put me in traction.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Anyone any experience with the Jefferson squat? 

I tried it but Jefferson kept running away...

Never actually seen that squat before and looks like you might catch yourself somewhere unpleasant.

I tried it but Jefferson kept running away...

Never actually seen that squat before and looks like you might catch yourself somewhere unpleasant.

It does seem to require a proportional arm length alright :)

I do 'chest flys' on (rare) occasion as a secondary exercise after bench press :blush: but the other stuff, I've never done any of them.

Â