Gym Routine

olboydave

Lesson learned about paying attention whilst squatting. 

I was doing a warm up set and my wife started fussing about behind me talking about trying to revive a bumble bee. I started concentrating on her instead of the squat and I think I pushed my knee forwards and not out. I heard a crazy loud pop in my right knee and a bloody sharp pain and I'm now struggling to walk up stairs.

I'm hoping a two week rest whilst on holiday will sort any damage.

It fell out the window.

She put it on a saucer with some honey water solution by an open window and the bee decided to take a suicide dive instead.

Disappeared now so either it flew away or the neighbours cat ate it.

Lost another couple of pounds this week, quite pleased as we went out for a meal Saturday and I cheated. Ended up pretty much eating at maintenance then going hard at the gym, feeling like billy big bollocks I went on the rowing machine, 4 minutes later I'm staggering to my locker to go home. I went last night and hadn't learnt anything, finished my routine and saw a rope pull machine "I'm having a go on that" arms shaking I saunter over to the rowing machine and manage to last 5 minutes this time. Slumped on the bench by my locker for few minutes before going home.

• Like 1

Seen some silly people at the gym this week.

One lad doing deadlift was getting the weight up and holding it for second before leaning as far back as he could.

Another lad doing squats had two steps stacked behind him with half a gym ball on top, he couldn't get anywhere near parallel.

Best one was last night though, guy was using the smiths machine to do seated overhead press with the massive weight of 5kgs on each side. 

Then there was me, Deadlift is getting heavy so I brought some liquid chalk. Opened it and tried to pour a bit on my palm nothing came out, gave it a squeeze and loads came out my palms were so white afterwards, grip was fine though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, V01 said:

One lad doing deadlift was getting the weight up and holding it for second before leaning as far back as he could.

That's a very common sight. No idea why people do that.

• Like 1

I saw someone doing a new exercise the other day (I think).

He was set up for a back squat but instead of doing a squat he pivoted at his hips and went all the way down so his chest was parallel with the floor then back up.

He had a fairly reasonable amount of weight on the bar bearing in mind it was all going through his lower back. He was a big fella so I assumed he knew what he was doing.

Is that a real exercise?

Modified my routine a little,

Stronglifts A: Squat, Bench, Row 5x5, added in OHP and Assisted Dips 3x5

Stronglifts B: Squat, OHP 5x5, Deadlift 1x5, Incline Bench and Assisted Dips 3x5

I've started using rope pull machine on full resistance for 3-4 minutes in total (40-60s sets) at the end of each session. 

Am I missing anything important? 

I've added 3 x planking to the end of every workout.  Should have done it years ago.  It's great because you can still do it when everything else is tired, and your stomach is hard as a bullet when you're done, and obviously a little bit stronger each time :)

Going forward, I need to come up with 2 balanced workouts now.  Because of my lower back, I've made things like squats far less frequent, meaning that the 2 workouts have become almost the same as each other, with the remaining exercises almost always doubling up.

I currently go for a combination of the following, but need to separate them sensibly (from a targetting POV) and evenly (from a time POV).
5x5 Bench
5x5 Overhead press
3xfail Chin-ups
5x10 Lat pulldowns ~50kg
3x10 Cable crossbody shoulder height
3x15 One arm supported bicep curl 20kg
3x15 Skull crusher 27.5kg
3xfail Planking
3xfail Dumbbell shoulder press
3x10 One-arm dumbbell row

I've found my lower back problems have disappeared since I dropped deadlifts.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed them, but either my back is **** or I was doing them slightly wrong or a combination of both, but every now and then I'd put my back out.

Now I've dropped them and kept everything else and it's fine.

So recently managed to hit a four plate deadlift and a 3 plate squat, very happy with this. Although I did wear a belt for both of these lifts, making life easier, In fact I may have had more left in the tank on the deadlift, the belt made a big difference. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

You know what annoys me?

Those guys who take a dumbell off the rack and then workout right next to it.

**** off. By lifting there it means none of us can go and get any dumbells within your vicinity without interrupting you, which I would never do.

Selfish pricks. You've got the whole **** room to work out in. Walk 10 steps you lazy word removed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You know what annoys me?

Those guys who take a dumbell off the rack and then workout right next to it.

**** off. By lifting there it means none of us can go and get any dumbells within your vicinity without interrupting you, which I would never do.

Selfish pricks. You've got the whole **** room to work out in. Walk 10 steps you lazy word removed.

Whilst we're on the subject of things I hate in the gym, I really, really hate it when people think they can claim multiple parts of the gym as a part of their 'circuit', especially when the gym is busy. The other day I took a bench and un-racked a dumbell to do some rows, only to have some sweaty clearing in the woods come over to tell me he's using the bench. I said, 'well I didn't see you using it' and then he said 'I'm doing a circuit', then I said, 'oh cool, we can share this bench then'. He looked annoyed but **** him. 

I also hate it when people use a bench to rest their phone whilst they do exercises like curls. Some people are just unbelievably inconsiderate. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Whilst we're on the subject of things I hate in the gym, I really, really hate it when people think they can claim multiple parts of the gym as a part of their 'circuit', especially when the gym is busy. The other day I took a bench and un-racked a dumbell to do some rows, only to have some sweaty clearing in the woods come over to tell me he's using the bench. I said, 'well I didn't see you using it' and then he said 'I'm doing a circuit', then I said, 'oh cool, we can share this bench then'. He looked annoyed but **** him. 

I also hate it when people use a bench to rest their phone whilst they do exercises like curls. Some people are just unbelievably inconsiderate. 

This happened to me yesterday. I went over to the cables to take the straight bar as nobody was using it. I managed to disconnect it, walk over to the cable for pulldowns and just as i'm about to start some beast of a female cross fitter taps me on the shoulder and says "I'm using that". 

I said "Were you? I took this over a minute ago and you weren't around' She said "I left my plastic bottle there (Which was empty) Because I was doing shuttle sprints on the treadmill".

I didn't do what Pangloss did though. I apologised and gave it back and then sulked for the rest of my session for being such a bitch.

• Like 1

So.  Playlists.  What do we all listen to in the gym?  Do you just listen to whatever they're pumping out over the gym sound system or do you bring your own carefully ordered choons?  Are you one of those who are constantly adjusting what's playing and what's coming next, or do you stick it on from the start knowing that everything that follows is a belter?

Mine is very trance-orientated.

1 Ferry Corsten - Anahera (great first tune in a dance playlist as it brings it all up)

2 Turboweekend - Trouble Is (Tiësto mix)

3 Solar Stone - Solarcoaster (Midway Mix)

4 Gabriel & Dresden feat. Jan Burton - Dangerous (Kuffdam And Plant Remix)

5 Andy Blueman - Time To Rest (Original)

6 Luminary - Amsterdam (Super8 & Tab remix)

7 NU NRG - Butterfly (Giuseppe Ottaviani 2010 Remix)

8 Saltwater - The Legacy (Alphazone remix)

9 DJ Kim - Jetlag (Alphazone remix)

10 Ferry Corsten - Reborn (Original extended)

11 Veracocha - Carte Blanche (Original)

12 Sigma feat. Labyrinth - Higher (Grant Nelson remix)

13 2 Max's - Fable 2008 (Violins Space remix)

14 Ben Gold - Profile (Original)

15 Faithless - Music Matters

That tends to get me to the end of the workout :thumb:

I wonder what @Xann would make of that list :P

Used to try and zone out from what the gym was playing until I walked in the other week. 

"wait, is that Nina Simone?"

"oh, techno remix"

Got myself some wireless headphones and now I listen to Dio. I switch between a play list of 15 to 20 of his songs and his full collection, I've had to catch myself from singing along a few times. 

Â