What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I never really saw the attraction in Japan when they were around, I dismissed them as Bowie copyists. I really was wrong. And over the years I've come to appreciate them. There's that 80s synth / synth drum sound which can sound a bit of its time but overall I think their work has aged well

Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids

R-5353002-1391280414-4811.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

Back on Discogs randomiser this morning:-

Ex Deo - Caligvla (symphonic death metal about the Roman empire, specifically Caligula this album)

Swallow The Sun - New Moon (Death/Doom Finnish Band)

The Shrine - Bless Off (Stoner Metal/Punk/Rock/Skater band - not really sure how to describe but they are pretty fun)

SSS - Short Sharp Shock (scouser punk band)

Afternoon Listening:

Turisas - Stand Up and Fight (not stood up well and nowhere near their best)

Rammstein - Mutter (definitely still good)

Kylesa - Ultraviolet (love Kylesa; utterly underrated IMO)

A bit of world music - Daby Touré and Skip McDonald - Call My Name a mini album of Afro Blues. I own this because it's Skip McDonald and it's a mix of his Little Axe music and Touré's African rhythms. Keith le Blanc also plays drums on this

R-1729512-1239687932.jpeg.jpg

On 25/04/2021 at 07:32, bickster said:

Sunday morning and the early morning Ska continues with the legendary Trojan Ska Series Tighten Up starting with Volumes 1 & 2 on CD, I may make it all the way through to volume 6

R-4787029-1554461112-5489.jpeg.jpg

Kind of stuff my wife loves, even though she also loves Buckcherry and Greta Van Fleet. Can't say her tastes are not varied.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm no great reggae fan, but I have a bit of a soft spot for that old Trojan stuff once in a while. 

I'm not a fan as such but if it puts the wife in a "good mood" I'm all for it

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Needed a bit of an earblasting because... annoying day at work so....

Killing Joke's second eponymously titled album (their very first had just their name as a title) released in 2003

Bit of a shocker this one when I looked it up on Discogs, median Price £20+ but can fetch up to £35! Ok its the UK Special edition with a whole extra track. It's also the classic line up of Jaz, Geordie, Youth and Raven with Dave Grohl on drums

It's very much in the play loud searing sonic attack mode and for tonights purpose its great but £20+, I only paid £12 for it brand new. Bonkers!

R-435690-1116935087.jpg.jpg

• Like 2

I've never been a big Bowie fan. I have his early albums (nothing later than "Low"), largely because I sort of feel they're important. But they rarely get played. However, yesterday I randomly pulled out "The Man Who Sold the World", and really enjoyed it. Possibly because it's very much of its era (i.e. my era, i.e. 1970) - and because it's dominated by Mick Ronson's guitar playing. Apparently, Ronson wanted to make a Cream/Jeff Beck style hard rock album, so the band worked the tunes up by jamming, at which point Bowie came up with some lyrics (and snagged the songwriting credit). It's really good. Illustration is the US album cover, rather than the UK 'dress' one. 

220px-MWSTWUS2.jpg

• Like 1

Have had the new Coral album on and it’s pretty good and another step away from their debut album into more melodic psychedelic noodlings.

It has several narrated tracks in amongst the songs which have a definite 70s children’s tv show vibe.

A couple of the opening tracks sound like Richard Hawley/Divine Comedy and the track Mist on The River, may as well be Woodstock by Matthews Southern Comfort!

All in all a nice listen. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Have had the new Coral album on and it’s pretty good and another step away from their debut album into more melodic psychedelic noodlings.

It has several narrated tracks in amongst the songs which have a definite 70s children’s tv show vibe.

A couple of the opening tracks sound like Richard Hawley/Divine Comedy and the track Mist on The River, may as well be Woodstock by Matthews Southern Comfort!

All in all a nice listen. 

Been meaning to give this one a listen, and it's just (today) popped up on Spotify. 

I've read comparisons with "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake". 

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Been meaning to give this one a listen, and it's just (today) popped up on Spotify. 

Yes, the narration particularly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Yes, the narration particularly 

....and now I’m interested...

On the Bowie stuff, I think the only Bowie I have is a single track on a 70’s compilation album, Width of a Circle. 

There was a programme on a night or two ago about Bowie’s earlier stuff and that mentioned that Bowie didn’t write the lyrics for The Man Who Sold The World until the last day they had studio time.

I didn’t really know too much about him, but what I thought was really interesting was the number of ‘chances’ he got. He had a string of eight consecutive singles that failed to chart at all. The first album didn’t get in the top 100, the second and third albums managed to get to about 20 in the UK and again one of them failed to chart at all in the U.S.

When he had ‘Space Oddity’ as his 9th single, it went to No 1, but then his next 4 singles after that all failed to chart at all again. One hit in 13 attempts, but still getting the backing to carry on. 

Fascinating that he was still getting studio time after a start like that. 

• Like 2

On 28/04/2021 at 20:16, rjw63 said:

Kind of stuff my wife loves, even though she also loves Buckcherry and Greta Van Fleet. Can't say her tastes are not varied.

You listened to the new Greta Van Fleet album? Its taking it's time to grow on me, unlike the first one which I loved straight away.

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

You listened to the new Greta Van Fleet album? Its taking it's time to grow on me, unlike the first one which I loved straight away.

Only a couple of tracks, when we've moved I'll get the wife a copy

On 30/04/2018 at 13:44, blandy said:

Clarice Jensen - From this for that will be filled. Classical? Drone? Ambient? Dunno but I like it.

After mentioning her to @HanoiVillan yesterday, I've just listened to both the CDs I've got and now moved on to Christina Vantzou CDs No. 2 and now No.4.

Calming.

Â