What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

6 hours ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

I saw Billy Bragg at Ilkley Town Hall (yes, I am aware just how middle class this statement is) and I think him playing Tank Park Salute was perhaps one of the best moments at a gig I've ever had. It truly is just a beautiful song,  one of my favourites. I know it's not off this album but he deserves the status of England's Woody Guthrie, which he would no doubt love. 

Tank Park Salute is one of those songs that just captures emotion perfectly. He does a version of The Dolphins, the Fred Neil song and its the same with that. I love Tank Park Salute. The Saturday Boy on BUWBB was the song that hooked me with Billy Bragg, its lyrically perfect and it was definitely the song that I could empathise with most but that said I think pretty much every album was perfect up to Mermaid Avenue. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

For clarity, I am not listening to Motley Crue.

Oh help me Mrs Medlicott, I don’t know what to do

I’ve only got three bullets, and there’s four of Motley Crue

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

I saw Billy Bragg at Ilkley Town Hall (yes, I am aware just how middle class this statement is) and I think him playing Tank Park Salute was perhaps one of the best moments at a gig I've ever had. It truly is just a beautiful song,  one of my favourites. I know it's not off this album but he deserves the status of England's Woody Guthrie, which he would no doubt love. 

As a Dylan fan, I'm very familiar with the endlessly repeated opinion "Oh, he's a great songwriter, but his songs are always done better by other people, can't stand the sound of his godawful voice". 

That's Billy Bragg for me. Totally sound bloke, but that bloody estuary foghorn. Just... no. 

BTW, most people unfamiliar with Yorkshire would probably be bemused by your 'middle class' comment re. Ilkley. I get it. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I can see how Bragg would be a marmite character. Personally, I’ve seen him a couple of times and he’s been great.

Bragg’s accent is a nice relief from the endless stream of homeless mid Atlantic nothingness, I’m happier hearing accents in music, from genuine south U.S., to Scots, to whatever. It’s the anonymous I’m less tolerant of.

I’m one of those that absolutely cannot stand Dylan. I’ve listened to very little of his work, and it’s not his accent, it is partly the tone its also the fact I actually can’t understand a single word he says. Which for someone pitched as a songwriter, feels like a minus point. I’ll stick with Alabama 3 and their tour of the world different accent for every song. At least I can hear the lyrics. Even if they are all about taking Ketamine whilst listening to Charles Mingus.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Green by REM. Arguably their last great album. Stone cold bangers start to finish.  

I'm one of those weirdos that prefer the stuff after Out of Time...

Tim And Eric Idk GIF

Just now, Designer1 said:

I'm one of those weirdos that prefer the stuff after Out of Time...

Tim And Eric Idk GIF

Its not bad or below par by any stretch of the imagination. I own them and love them. Just think for me, Document and Green were them at their best. Not even the “hits” on those albums. That said I can great stuff on out of time all the way to Collapse Into Now. 
Currently playing Up to illustrate it slightly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its not bad or below par by any stretch of the imagination. I own them and love them. Just think for me, Document and Green were them at their best. Not even the “hits” on those albums. That said I can great stuff on out of time all the way to Collapse Into Now. 
Currently playing Up to illustrate it slightly. 

Oh yeah, Document and Green are still great albums I just seem to get more out of post-Out of Time stuff - with the exception of Around the Sun, which could never get on with.

• Like 1

So decided to mix up today and allow Discogs to pick a random album for me to listen to. My morning so far has been

Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth

Drudkh - Їм часто сниться капіж (They Often See Dreams About the Spring)

The Offspring - S/T

And now onto 

A - How Ace Are Buildings

Odd morning...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I bet you love Shiny happy people. I bet its on tour best driving anthems CD. 

Bloody hell yes I do remember that now you’ve said it!

They’re going to be one of those bands, aren’t they. The one’s you think you don’t know or even don’t like and then one by one you go, yeah I like that one, and that one, yeah and that one...

I watched some Elton John movie during lockdown and every single song I thought, oh yeah this one’s actually quite good. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

So decided to mix up today and allow Discogs to pick a random album for me to listen to. My morning so far has been

Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth

Drudkh - Їм часто сниться капіж (They Often See Dreams About the Spring)

The Offspring - S/T

And now onto 

A - How Ace Are Buildings

Odd morning...

A really had to have the worst band name in the internet age. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Bragg’s accent is a nice relief from the endless stream of homeless mid Atlantic nothingness, I’m happier hearing accents in music, from genuine south U.S., to Scots, to whatever. It’s the anonymous I’m less tolerant of.

I generally agree with this but find most of the current crop of Dublin bands really irritating, strip away the Dublin accent and there's nothing interesting there. Fontaines DC being the prime example of this. If they were from anywhere else, they'd be ignored

• Like 2

Â