What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Well, after meeting a mate and his missus I hadn’t seen since last august and consuming 9 bottles of red between three of us, I strolled home to Car Seat Headrest - Teens Of Denial, an absolute stonker of an album! 

I heartily recommend it, particularly Vincent, Hippy Powers, Drunk Driver/Killer Whales and The Ballad Of The Costa Concordia! Superb drunk walking home tunage!

It’s 3am, I apologise xxx 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cheapo Jazz purchase from HMV yesterday. £10 - bargain

John Coltrane - Giant Steps. Good Sunday Morning music

R-2660545-1298740453.jpeg.jpg

About to follow that with...

Nina Simone - Pastel Blues. A Sunday morning favourite of mine.

R-2124431-1345055178-9313.jpeg.jpg

EDIT: Followed that Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

That nearly made it into my bag yesterday.

Maybe next time then?  I really like it.

I bought the GSY!BE album too, so that’s overlap. The others were...no I’ll wait till I put them on, or it’s not in the spirit of the thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Maybe next time then?  I really like it.

I bought the GSY!BE album too, so that’s overlap. The others were...no I’ll wait till I put them on, or it’s not in the spirit of the thread.

If it wasn't for the whole keys debacle, my plan was to try and get to Action Records yesterday but that obviously went out of the window

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

... my plan was to try and get to Action Records yesterday...

If I know what I want I go on their internet and get it as often as not. Discount code ACTION and wait for the postie to bring goodies.

• Like 1

For the 16th volume in Habibi Funk’s series of reissues from Arabic-speaking parts of the world, the Berlin-based label lets us in on one of Lebanon’s best kept secrets. Guitarist, singer, and songwriter Rogér Fakhr first came to the attention of label boss Jannis Stürtz while he was working with Issam Hajali on the reissue of his jazz-tinged folk masterpiece Mouasalat Ila Jacad El Ard. Fakhr and Hajali both fled from Beirut to Paris in 1976 as a result of the Lebanese Civil War and Syrian occupation, working on Hajali’s album in the summer of 1977. They lived together and formed a brief musical partnership that would last until Fakhr’s eventual emigration to the United States, but Fakhr’s wellspring of talent left a lasting impression on Hajali—as well as everyone else he met.

Rogér Fakhr’s name kept coming up in conversations with musicians from Beirut, and Stürtz felt like he had to look into it; the gulf between the regard for Fakhr among those who knew him and the inability to find out anything about him for those who didn’t was just too large. Stürtz got Fakhr’s contact from Hajali, and Fakhr sent over his album Fine Anyway—recorded in Beirut in the ’70s, hand-copied and distributed by Fakhr in an edition of 200. “I was blown away,” Stürtz says, but Fakhr passed on working with the label at the time.

Fine Anyway, a collection of pillowy soft ballads and jangly blues tunes, leaves scant few clues of where and when it was recorded, or the circumstances thereof. Opener “Lady Rain,” with Fakhr’s smooth vocal delivery and a floaty flute accompaniment, evokes images of a sunny day with a glass of wine in hand. “Sitting in the Sun” is a stunning highlight, with Fakhr showing off his skill by plucking out a quick maqam-style melody over a funky bass groove. The interlude “Keep Going” offers a brief window into Fahkr’s mindset during this time of political turmoil. “If you can’t bear it all, keep going,” he sings. He belts out a verse in Arabic—for the first and last time on the album—before the track gives way to the sound of sirens and gunfire as it fades out.

Stürtz would get in contact with Fakhr again years later to organize a compilation of Lebanese musicians—Habibi Funk’s fourteenth release, Solidarity With Beirut—to raise money for the Lebanese Red Cross in the wake of the tragic explosion in a Beirut port in 2020. Fakhr gave his blessing to include two of his songs for the cause, and eventually softened to the idea of reissuing the rest of his album. Finally, an essential piece of Lebanon’s musical history has been restored.

Bandcamp

Had I not known, I'd have placed it in the London folk clubs, circa 1965. Very Bert Jansch.  Sound quality is a bit ropey in places (I think it may have been mastered from old cassettes), but I like it. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

And the final purchase from yesterday. Another one that I was playing catch up with and HMV had it on offer.

The Lovely Eggs - I Am Moron

Wonderful funny yet angsty social commentary set to their simplistic drums, synths and fuzzy guitar routine. From the cover it tells me that it was Album of the Month in Classic Rock which is just a bit odd

R-15030689-1587260364-1826.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

The day is warming up nicely, it's Dub O'clock

Originally released in 1980, this is a repress from 2014 on the US Greensleeves label. Nowhere near as cold and dark as the cover suggests

Winston Edwards and Blackbeard at 10 Downing Street - Dub Conference . Echo units in full effect with nice pumping bass lines

R-6799833-1441921548-8155.jpeg.jpg

9 hours ago, bickster said:

The day is warming up nicely, it's Dub O'clock

Originally released in 1980, this is a repress from 2014 on the US Greensleeves label. Nowhere near as cold and dark as the cover suggests

Winston Edwards and Blackbeard at 10 Downing Street - Dub Conference . Echo units in full effect with nice pumping bass lines

R-6799833-1441921548-8155.jpeg.jpg

I must pick that album up every time I go in Sounds of the Universe, and then I spot something else!

I’ll get it eventually, I’ll get it.

• Like 1

Continuing random Discog selections over the last couple of days:

Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality

Judas Priest - Point of Entry (Halford is right, they really phoned this in)

Ramones - Rocket to Russia

Cavelera Consipracy - Pandemonium (a lot heavier than I remember)

Boris - Akuma No Uta

Witchsmeller Pursuivant - Maifest of Evil (random Belgium band I discovered at Graspop many years ago. Brilliant name and decent "standard" heavy metal sound)

Candlemass - Candlemass

Currently on 

Arnocorps - Ballsy EP (Arnold Schwarzenegger based punk/hardcore)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Continuing random Discog selections over the last couple of days:

Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality

Judas Priest - Point of Entry (Halford is right, they really phoned this in)

Ramones - Rocket to Russia

Cavelera Consipracy - Pandemonium (a lot heavier than I remember)

Boris - Akuma No Uta

Witchsmeller Pursuivant - Maifest of Evil (random Belgium band I discovered at Graspop many years ago. Brilliant name and decent "standard" heavy metal sound)

Candlemass - Candlemass

Currently on 

Arnocorps - Ballsy EP (Arnold Schwarzenegger based punk/hardcore)

That Ramones album is flawless start to finish. The last with the classic lineup on instruments as well. Not to say they didn’t  produce works of art after that, and its not even in my top 3 Ramones albums but for what it is, its a classic. 

• Like 1

Â