What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

That has a great version of Uptown Top Ranking on it. Except its not really Uptown Top Ranking because of the way reggae works. As far as I'm aware the provenance of the riddim goes like this...

Alton Ellis' I'm Still In Love was then rerecorded by Trinity as Three Piece Suit. Althea and Donna then record new vocals for a rerecorded version of that riddim that became Uptown Top Ranking, which obviously became a huge hit and everyone thinks is the original. I have no idea where the Angola Crisis dub that appears on that album fits into that provenance but suspect its after UTR as both are out of the Joe Gibbs stable, whereas the Alton Elllis tune was a Duke Reid artist (I think). And that there is the very essence of Jamaican music, they invented recyscling

Yep, that’s the fun of it, every now and again you pick up an album of randoms, and there in the middle of it all is that same hook. Then you can pick through it and see who had it first and see all those same names popping up, Perry was working for Lee, but Lee needed a tune for Jammy... so they’ve all had a dabble. It must have been a hell of a time.

Angola Crisis was pretty much my gateway dub in that classic mish mash of late 70’s early 80’s listening to someone else’s mixtape of all the usual Clash and Dead Kennedy’s and now and again something like Angola Crisis dropped in.  On the tape I had, someone had put the usual Small Faces and John’s Children and all that, then some Dub... and random birdsong. I never really picked up on the birdsong, but I worked out the dub was Angola Crisis and I was up and running. Although me being me, I’ve taken ‘Angola Crisis’ and in my head, by the time I’ve got to the shops I’ve seen a Joe Gibbs record called ‘State of Emergency’ and thought hmmm crisis emergency, yeah that must be it.

• Like 1

A mate of mine stuck in the 90s appeared to have heard Different Class in the last 12 months and as a result became an evangelist for the album. I hadn’t really listened to it since a year started 199. Have to say I was a big fan and its still a bloody good album. 

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

A mate of mine stuck in the 90s appeared to have heard Different Class in the last 12 months and as a result became an evangelist for the album. I hadn’t really listened to it since a year started 199. Have to say I was a big fan and its still a bloody good album. 

About time you got off the bucking bronco (but yes, its still a great album)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

About time you got off the bucking bronco (but yes, its still a great album)

My wife is doing a nostalgia night so its been 90s indie and early 2000s pop punk. Zero country music. 

image.jpeg.1a4e36a883e8f338005cfbf9a4554b50.jpeg

Had this on the car again for the last week or so. Hadn’t listened to it for about 8 years. Not his most memorable or famous stuff but going through it and for me there isn’t a dud on it. Great album. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

image.jpeg.1a4e36a883e8f338005cfbf9a4554b50.jpeg

Had this on the car again for the last week or so. Hadn’t listened to it for about 8 years. Not his most memorable or famous stuff but going through it and for me there isn’t a dud on it. Great album. 

One of my favourite Springsteen albums. As you say, not a bad track on it.

For the first time in a long time I’ve put in two wish list items for the first of the 2021 RSD days.

No idea how much they will cost, but what the hell, I’m worth it.

Just sit n wait for June now and see if I got lucky.

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For the first time in a long time I’ve put in two wish list items for the first of the 2021 RSD days.

Genuine question, how does RSD work? Do shops get all releases, or selected releases? They have had Johnny Cash albums and one of which I will have to track down at some point but if at the time I went to a participating shop, would they definitely have it, if it hadn’t already been bought?

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Genuine question, how does RSD work? Do shops get all releases, or selected releases? They have had Johnny Cash albums and one of which I will have to track down at some point but if at the time I went to a participating shop, would they definitely have it, if it hadn’t already been bought?

My understanding is that shops don't really know what they are getting, I think they can request to be sent certain stock but not amounts and there's no guarantee they'll get what they want. They put orders in but there's no guarantee they'll get it

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Same artist different artist names?

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It’ll depend on the size of the shop, most will get a selection, supposedly lucky dip stylee.

The idea is the box of records comes in to the shop, fairly random selection, they put them out and it’s first come first served.

However! I also know some shops like to know what will be in high demand so they can put in a wish list. I also suspect some rare items might get slipped behind the counter for regulars. Not much, it’s 99% random and legit from what I’ve seen.

But I would also say, whilst I can’t guarantee I’ll get what I want, there is a fairly good chance I will, and I’ll be rocking up half way through the day.

Usual rules apply, if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

• Like 1

Â