• Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a horrible thought.

If McLeish does struggle, like let's say 3 points out of 10 games, I bet you the board would still back him all the way. Even if it we meant we were clear relegation favourites. They would be so gutless to say they made the wrong choice and will never sack him no matter how bad it gets.

Then when we're relegated, Randy will no doubt sell up and leave us in the shit.

There is no evidence to support any of this nonsense.

Calm down dear.

:bonk:

Dude what the ****. Honestly, this is what I can't stand. It's the fact fans still say stuff like 'nonsense' when the **** board hired McLeish with no logical explanation whatsoever.

We were on our knees when everything looked dark under Houllier. We were in the bottom 3 at winter. Instead of sacking him, Randy decided to spend over 20m on a player who scores goals to help us get out of this mess. They'll probably do the same with McLeish as another panic buy, but who is he gonna pick? The other Bent?

Marcus?

Whilst not wishing to be accused of supporting the appointment AM, I don't believe that it's as simple as saying that AM plays boring anti-football.

Could it be that AM, or his brand of football, is as product of his circumstances. Let’s remember he's had two horrible boards to work for, which one would suspect would neither shell out the large transfer fees or wages required to buy players that could play a "better" style of football.

In this position AM simply adopts a style that achieves (or is likely to achieve) the most number of points from the investment (players) that are available, ie, make it very hard to for the opposition to score and hope you nick a goal at the other end. If that's good enough over the course of a season, then well done, if not, what more can he do.

Perhaps (wishful thinking) with a better board, better resources at his disposal, better players, AM may be able to adopt a more pleasing brand of football. I don't know, just saying.

Overall, still gob smacked by the decision to approach AM, as there are better/as good managers available which don't come with all the baggage, but thinks aren't always as black and white as they may appear.

I have a horrible thought.

If McLeish does struggle, like let's say 3 points out of 10 games, I bet you the board would still back him all the way. Even if it we meant we were clear relegation favourites. They would be so gutless to say they made the wrong choice and will never sack him no matter how bad it gets.

Then when we're relegated, Randy will no doubt sell up and leave us in the shit.

So, they are willing to appoint a manager that causes the sort of reaction we are seeing at the moment. That could be called many things, but you certainly could not say it's gutless, it is a very brave decision. (Whether or not you also see it as stupid or wrong is immaterial to the point).

But should the appointment not go well, you think the board are gutless?

We obviously have to lower our expectations but I still can't understand why we couldn't go for an up and coming name like Poyet or Greyson rather than plumping for someone we know will be mediocre and divisive.

You saw the reactions when Martinez and McClaren were bin the frame.

Gus Poyet or Grayson would probably blow the VT servers up, not to mention the lynch mob that would have gone down VP.

Basically, if it werent Ancelotti or Moyes...people were always going to moan

Don't kid yourself.

McLeish was always going to provoke far more negative reaction than any of those names mentioned. So dont be so deliberately stupid.

I notice you left Hughes off that list btw.

John Sitton is available. And he gives a brilliant half time speech:

Sitton rant

I'm actually coming round to the idea of Mcleish being in charge. Didn't like his attitude towards Villa last season and really didn't want him here, but I think he may turn out to be a decent choice. Our defence should be solid as a lot have said and he'll give it his all.

It'll be interesting to see how much more attacking he'll be with Villa, there's no way he'll be anywhere near as defensive minded a she was at Blues. He wasn't particularly defensive in Scotland, so I think we'll see a different approach here.

Still would've preferred Hughes though.

We obviously have to lower our expectations but I still can't understand why we couldn't go for an up and coming name like Poyet or Greyson rather than plumping for someone we know will be mediocre and divisive.

You saw the reactions when Martinez and McClaren were bin the frame.

Gus Poyet or Grayson would probably blow the VT servers up, not to mention the lynch mob that would have gone down VP.

Basically, if it werent Ancelotti or Moyes...people were always going to moan

Yes, people would have moaned whoever we appoint but this reaction is unprecidented.

If you were to draw up a list of managers who are realistic options for us then I think almost every fan would have McCleish as bottom of that list.

The appointment makes little sense on any level.

At least with an up and coming manager who has not yet failed there would be some hope that he could go on to successful things.

Appointing a known failure, and one directly from Birmingham City no less, defies any explination.

I'm actually coming round to the idea of Mcleish being in charge. Didn't like his attitude towards Villa last season and really didn't want him here, but I think he may turn out to be a decent choice. Our defence should be solid as a lot have said and he'll give it his all.

Welcome to the 5th stage of grief.

Welcome to the 5th stage of grief.

Yesterday I was in denial, today I am just angry.

Hopefully the acceptance will come soon enough for me.

Perhaps it will be a good thing, as people have said, the defence will be solid (especially if he brings Scott Dann with him) Obiviously RL is going to back him in the market (i think to try and win fans round), maybe Mcleish can do something decent with money, and a good solid team to work with.

Perhaps it will be a good thing, as people have said, the defence will be solid (especially if he brings Scott Dann with him) Obiviously RL is going to back him in the market (i think to try and win fans round), maybe Mcleish can do something decent with money, and a good solid team to work with.

Dann will go to a bigger club.

Lerner will not back him we will have the same squad virtually.

It's going to be an epic fail