• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

the biggest problem about the whole this is that when mcleish inevitably needs to be replaced within the next 12 months, we're going to have a repeat of this whole process again unless the board actively start looking for a replacement now

ive never understood why chairmen dont have a list of managers that they update regularly who they'd like to have should something happen with the current manager. similarly, ive never understood why managers dont have an ever evolving list of 3 players for every position ready should they need to sign anyone

are we the only club that seems consistently unable to plan for the future?

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The media are saying that AVFC are taking a big risk in hiring McLeish.

In my book risk means uncertainty, and I am not uncertain of the outcome here!

He will stay for two years, tops three. We will have a little bit weaker squad, our brand of football will have become worse, attendances will have gone down and we don't have Darren Bent anymore.

Imagine being a player hearing about former players like Mark Hughes, even an up and coming Martinez, Martin Jol, Frank Rijkaard, Carlo Ancelotti and Sanchez Flores. Then they open the newspaper

and see this ginger, **** joker accepting the job.

WTF!?

A lot of people inside the game are saying it is a good appointment. Only downside is fans' reaction to being ex blues.

I'd be interested in how much you know about rijkaard (not counting barca and the ethos instilled by cruyff) and flores' brand of football?

Alan Brazil who allegdly is a good friend of AM said he couldnt understand a) why Villa would go for McL and B) why McL would want to take it

I listened to Brazil this morning and he was still pissed from his birthday celebrations last night. He didn't know what day it was. The man's an idiot.

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why Martin Jol was ignored and let go to Fulham? He has Prem experience - with a much bigger club than B'ham City - and has achieved two successive 5th place finishes in the Prem.

I find it totally baffling.

came within 2 days of signing for fulham last year, no doubt has a home in london, contact was probably already in place and it was therefore an easy move for him

shame really

Welcome to Aston Villa, Alex McLeish :flag: All the best in the world.

That's all that needs to be said right now. Anything else is only to detriment to ourselves and our football club.

Hes spent the money.. im not denying that.. He was doing all he can to get us in the top 4.. for his own business.

I think hes now realised he cant compete with the big 4.. and has settled for midtable and will not spend that way again.

Bent was a desperate signing to secure his investment

The top four is more than likely out of reach whoever was appointed does that make Randy not love the club? Nope. And whilst I do think that top four place is highly unlikely I think there will be large investment in the playing staff this summer.

I disagree that Bent was a desperate signing, I believe it was a signing that was needed and has been needed for some time. We all know MON turned down the chance of signing Darren Bent and Houlllier didnt turn the opportunity down.

Why is it when anything good happens at our club like signing Darren Bent a striker we having been needing for years its somehow turned into a negative or that there was an alternative reason to signing to spending such amounts of money, just be happy it was spent and we got him.

If he loved the club he would get the absolute best for it.. not a second rate manager from our fiercest rivals. Id hate to see how you treat your wife :lol:

We hadnt seen that large investment before... until we were close to relegation.. and he realised he needed to do something to prevent his investment.

Before that we had to sell to buy.. Weve sold Barry.. Milner... now Young.. Bent was signed with the Milner money anyway.

I dearly hope im wrong.. but we will see what happens this summer. I expect we will spend about 20-25 mil (Young money) and depends if Downing goes we will spend maybe 30-35.

Depending on WHO we sign.. the season may get better or worse. Im not happy about it.. and i wont forgive Lerner for it.. but i will support AM until we get to the point of how we were with Houllier (relegation fight) then i will call for his head.

I hope McLeish succeeds.. i hope he makes us look like fools.. Villa succeeding.. as if we wont be happy to be wrong..

I just cant see it.. look how the fans reacted.. imagine how down the players will be with that announcement. Downing will no doubt want to leave now.. (if he didnt before).

Time will tell i guess. Id never stop supporting the club but i wont stop being upset or disappointed in the lack of ambition shown by Randy or the disrespect shown to Villa fans.

We obviously have to lower our expectations but I still can't understand why we couldn't go for an up and coming name like Poyet or Greyson rather than plumping for someone we know will be mediocre and divisive.

You saw the reactions when Martinez and McClaren were bin the frame.

Gus Poyet or Grayson would probably blow the VT servers up, not to mention the lynch mob that would have gone down VP.

Basically, if it werent Ancelotti or Moyes...people were always going to moan

Yes, people would have moaned whoever we appoint but this reaction is unprecidented.

If you were to draw up a list of managers who are realistic options for us then I think almost every fan would have McCleish as bottom of that list.

The appointment makes little sense on any level.

At least with an up and coming manager who has not yet failed there would be some hope that he could go on to successful things.

Appointing a known failure, and one directly from Birmingham City no less, defies any explination.

Im not saying it makes sense. Of course im not. Its **** barmy.

But the facts of the matter are that it looks 99% nailed on and theres fook all we can do about it. In my book, at this moment in time, the best thing we can do as FANS is all pull together and get some positivity back into the club.

Like i mentioned earlier...i think Randy is gonna give McLeish an absolute wadd of yankee dollars to go and spend. Lets just see what he can do.

Welcome to Aston Villa, Alex McLeish :flag: All the best in the world.

That's all that needs to be said right now. Anything else is only to detriment to ourselves and our football club.

*Passes over a tin hat* I do agree though.

I don't think there will be a PC for McLeish, I think they'll let the news die down, he'll obviously give his quotes on AVTV, but i think when the board realise we need to publicise the kits, he may have one then.

I would be surprised if there wasn't a press conference. Appointiing a new Villa manager is a massive deal. If Randy doesn't hold a PC it's tantamount to an admission that he's done something horrendously wrong!

Will be very surprised if their is one.

Talking about Bent, I remember that interview with him, a couple of weeks ago, where he talked about Ancelotti, asked other players about him, etc. He seemed genuinely excited. Now, imagine how he feels about Big Eck? Ancelotti or Big Eck? Hmmmm...

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why Martin Jol was ignored and let go to Fulham? He has Prem experience - with a much bigger club than B'ham City - and has achieved two successive 5th place finishes in the Prem.

Trust me, you can't be as baffled as us Villa fans. :(

Alan Brazil who allegdly is a good friend of AM said he couldnt understand a) why Villa would go for McL and B) why McL would want to take it

I listened to Brazil this morning and he was still pissed from his birthday celebrations last night. He didn't know what day it was. The man's an idiot.

I'm not a fan of Brazil but don't think he's an idiot either. He was hungover from yesterday but I'm not sure what thats got to do with it

Personally, I think it's telling that a friend of AM says that he isn't the right man for the Villa job. If his friends don't think he's up to the job no wonder the rest of us have our doubts

I supported Houllier against my better judgement but I'm damned if I'm going to support a senseless appointment like McLeish

If he'd have come after SHA finished 9th I might have half understood it but after the shit he served up over there last season.......

Trust me, you can't be as baffled as us Villa fans. :(

Nearly as baffling as this if it's true

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Aston-Villa-news-Quique-Sanchez-Flores-who-lead-Atletico-Madrid-to-Europa-League-triumph-2010-wants-job-if-fan-anger-keeps-Alex-McLeish-out-article747872.html

We obviously have to lower our expectations but I still can't understand why we couldn't go for an up and coming name like Poyet or Greyson rather than plumping for someone we know will be mediocre and divisive.

You saw the reactions when Martinez and McClaren were bin the frame.

Gus Poyet or Grayson would probably blow the VT servers up, not to mention the lynch mob that would have gone down VP.

Basically, if it werent Ancelotti or Moyes...people were always going to moan

Poyet would have been a great appointment.

No sense at all in appointing McLeish.

All-time low for me

I agree...Poyet would have been a great appointment.

But were you saying that three weeks ago?? I doubt it.

Hindsights a wonderfull thing aint it.