• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I think - IIRC somewhere MM actually did mention not writing off Martinez or have I seen a supposed ITK previously about this?

I really can't remember.

Of course this all could be some more smoke and mirrors........ but who knows he could be an excellent choice.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what its worth I can't understand why Randy appointed Houllier for the long term, and then all of a sudden would appoint someone as young as Martinez.

The way it appears. Rafa was all about money, so Villa tell him where to go. Carlo says he doesn't want to manage again just yet, Moyes says he wants to stay at Everton, Martinez is interviewed because Villa are "feeling his collar, McClaren is a knob, Rijkaard probably interviewed too, etc. Randy is doing his homework before he appoints the new Manager. Whelan is saying that Martinez will stay at Wigan because Villa have bigger fish to fry? This is all part of a process and the new Manager will be appointed in due course. Martinez is by no means a certainty but Villa are doing their homework and fair play them them for being professional about it.

As a life long Villa fan living in Swansea (father born and bred in Aston) I have first hand knowledge of Martinez which I would like to share with you.. He is Mr Personality plus,could sell ice to an ice cube,if appointed to Villa he will without remorse asset strip Wigan of their best players and will be constantly active in the transfer market looking out for jewels at low cost. In addition to personality plus he is as ruthless under the suave public face as you could get,sometimes for the wrong reasons his own ego.He his hated amongst many,many Swans fans for the way he left the club in the lurch talking to Wigan covertly at the same time as saying he would never leave the Swans unless he was sacked. His teams play lovely football,quick and incisive and pass,pass,pass so be prepared.However,he hasn't a clue how to organise a defence so the goals against column will be ticking over. I have my reservations about him,but have a sneaking feeling that he could do a very good job at our beloved Villa,has a very agile football brain and with a good pot of cash to spend could turn out to be an inspired appointment.If he is appointed do not be surprised that if Real Madrid come calling and Villa are in the top 6 in the Premier League he will be off before Randy's plane touches down to stop him,such is the nature of the beast.

Good post, very balanced point of view.

We've had the chance to go for Hughes or Jol and we havent gone for either

Instead we've interviewed Steve **** McClaren and on the verge of appointing Martinez, who is probably a very nice man,but has finished 16th twice, got dicked 4-1 at home to blackpool first game of season and has a win % of 24%...weve been pissing in the wind for weeks - the board have known for **** ages that GH wasnt going to come back so weve gone and headhunted a manager whose side nearly got relegated (twice) - its **** bullshit

where do all the papers get this tight budget shit from

we spent £24m on one player in Jan and have constantly spent money since Lerner took over

They haven't got a clue. It's apparent to me that Randy is willing to spend and I think most Villa fans know that now.

I'm confident any new manager will get a fair bit of money to spend on his targets.

Martinez - perfect apointment for stoke, fulham, bolton, sunderland..... not for a club of our size. What are our aspirations?? **** me i'm angry

Angry about what? Our new boss? We haven't got one yet !!!

We've not appointed him yet; people are jumping to conclusions (for a change).

However, if it were Martínez, I'd welcome him to the club and so should everyone else. He's an exciting, young, ambitious manager and should be given a chance and our full support. I'd be worried about the defence quite a lot, and would see him as a gamble, but there's no way I'd jump on his back as some already seem to be doing, just at potential interview stage.

What message would appointing Martinez send to the players?

I would imagine they will be thinking **** me gone for the easy/cheap option, where is this club going? I'm off!

You have to laugh at SSN they have us down for a different manager everyday. It is know wonder they love Dirty Harry he opens up more times than our defence did last season.