• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I know it's been tense and we've had no information from the club during an important time, but we're going to have to accept that not all of us are going to get the manager we ideally wanted. Even the favourite on this poll has less than 50% of the vote.

The way Villa fans rushed to attack McClaren was an embarrasment. Maybe it's because I'm Welsh and don't have to go through the same media hype over your average team as some of you do, but if title-winning managers of clubs like Real Madrid and AC Milan in Capello's case can't guarantee success then why are we so suprised that McClaren couldn't?

If Martinez wants the job, then he'll get my backing 100%. It would have been the same for whoever the club chose. My fear now is that whoever gets the job is a real 'Second Choice Steve'; the option the club turned to after the mob threw a wobbly in front of Adrian sodding Durham for Christ's sake.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tinyurl.com/633hgd4

This Independent article suggests Martinez may turn the job down.

''The possible candidates diminished yet further when Roberto Martinez, whom Villa asked Wigan chairman Dave Whelan for permission to speak to last week, indicated that he is duty-bound to carry on in the role he has undertaken for Whelan for at least another year.''

I sense tomorrow will be another rollercoaster day!

Does any one else think that if we appoint Martinez there will be a big backlash!

Having read this topic through i'd say there would be a backlash no matter who was appointed.. It's just with varying levels of intensity dependant on who. No wonder we don't interest someone of Ancelotti's pedigree

Never has the saying... "you can't please all of the people all of the time" been so appropriate & for me Randy should just appoint who he & his contacts know to be the best candidate & ignore the impossible to please on here.

I like Martinez, he is a good up and coming manager. Having said that i think he should stay at his current level a while longer to continue to develop with Wigan and try and get them further up the table. The jump from the Wigan job to the Villa job i think is too much for him at the moment, he needs to build his reputation up a bit more.

If we do appoint him i fear the worst for the futures of Young, Downing, Bent etc.

You know what we are a fickle bunch! Randy can't do right from wrong whoever he appointed would have been slagged off. We are all so short sighted. For me this top 4, we have to spend another 100million to be in with a chance. MON got slagged because his football was dire, Houllier got slagged because he was shit. Were appointing a Good young manager who could take this club forward but let's rule him. He won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I, for one, would like Martinez to be our manager. I don't know why. He's not been that successful and their defending has been terrible at times. But I like him. He seems like a nice guy. (and yes.. I know that's not a good reason to hire a manager)

If he had a quality defence to work with, his attacking play would be protected a lot more and his teams would not get ripped apart. Didn't he beat Arsenal with WIGAN ? He must have something about him if that happened (IF... I can't remember).

Gary Mc beat Arsenal and Liverpool.... Whats your point?

That he must have something about him... I posted it right there :?

Gary Mc beat Arsenal with a team including Darrent Bent, Ashley Young & Stewart Downing. Gary Mc beat Liverpool on the last day of the season, when most teams have nothing to play for, again, with Bent, Young, Downing and the rest of our 'Top 6 side'.

Martinez beat them with a team who's aim was to avoid relegation :?

I've been on this thread all night and I'm now fcuked emotionally and need a sleeping tablet before I get my head down.

Hopefully I'll wake up in the morning switch talk sport on in the car and a press conference has been called at VP for early morning. Randys been pissing himself at us lot speculating and believing the shite scrolling across the screen on SSN. The man unravelled as the new manager of Aston Villa Football Club is........... Mr David Moyes welcome to Villa Park.

I can but dream.

I, for one, would like Martinez to be our manager. I don't know why. He's not been that successful and their defending has been terrible at times. But I like him. He seems like a nice guy. (and yes.. I know that's not a good reason to hire a manager)

If he had a quality defence to work with, his attacking play would be protected a lot more and his teams would not get ripped apart. Didn't he beat Arsenal with WIGAN ? He must have something about him if that happened (IF... I can't remember).

Gary Mc beat Arsenal with a team including Darrent Bent, Ashley Young & Stewart Downing. Gary Mc beat Liverpool on the last day of the season, when most teams have nothing to play for, again, with Bent, Young, Downing and the rest of our 'Top 6 side'.

Phil Brown beat Arsenal.

You know what we are a fickle bunch! Randy can't do right from wrong whoever he appointed would have been slagged off. We are all so short sighted. For me this top 4, we have to spend another 100million to be in with a chance. MON got slagged because his football was dire, Houllier got slagged because he was shit. Were appointing a Good young manager who could take this club forward but let's rule him. He won't be everyone's cup of tea.

What utter nonsense. What credentials has Martinez got for the Villa job? He's finished 16th with Wigan the last two seasons, and that is it. Even Steve Bruce managed better than that. Randy Lerner can't do right. You should have stopped there.

If and its a big IF we appoint Martinez i think it will show the naivety from the board. I dont get it, especially if Hughes and Benitez are available. Some people are saying, "oh but Martinez will be loyal, unlike Hughes who will leave as soon as United come sniffing around". BOLLOCKS any manager we have will be off like a shot if United want him FACT. And Martinez has already left Swansea and would have to leave Wigan to move to us.

I think the appointment would state the lack of ambition towards the top 6 rather than champions league, Martinez and achieved very little as a manager in my opinion, to warrant the job at Villa Park.

But i dont think it will be him, anyway.

''The possible candidates diminished yet further when Roberto Martinez, whom Villa asked Wigan chairman Dave Whelan for permission to speak to last week, indicated that he is duty-bound to carry on in the role he has undertaken for Whelan for at least another year.''

I sense tomorrow will be another rollercoater day!

I hope he turns it down for his own sake, he's not ready.

Phil Brown beat Arsenal.

Small Heath beat Arsenal

I sense tomorrow will be another rollercoaster day!

This is what worries me somewhat. Are we actually targeting the likes of Martinez or is this just another smokescreen?

If it's not Martinez i'll be £200 down and in hot water with my wife.....this will probably involve several nights on the settee, no sex for a while, and the odd grunt from her if i engage in conversation as she makes known her sheer displeasure. However....all this will pale into insignificance as i'd quite happily put up with all of that to have my club run by someone who, granted has a nice smile and wears some fine suits, but has done absolutely feck all in his career (player and manager)

Phil Brown beat Arsenal.

Good for him. I wouldn't want him as our manager because he's an orange wally.

I like Martinez. He seems like a dude.