• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I, for one, would like Martinez to be our manager. I don't know why. He's not been that successful and their defending has been terrible at times. But I like him. He seems like a nice guy. (and yes.. I know that's not a good reason to hire a manager)

If he had a quality defence to work with, his attacking play would be protected a lot more and his teams would not get ripped apart. Didn't he beat Arsenal with WIGAN ? He must have something about him if that happened (IF... I can't remember).

Gary Mc beat Arsenal and Liverpool.... Whats your point?

That he must have something about him... I posted it right there :?

Gary Mc beat Arsenal with a team including Darrent Bent, Ashley Young & Stewart Downing. Gary Mc beat Liverpool on the last day of the season, when most teams have nothing to play for, again, with Bent, Young, Downing and the rest of our 'Top 6 side'.

Martinez beat them with a team who's aim was to avoid relegation :?

Phil Brown beat Arsenal.

Small Heath beat Arsenal

Leyton Orient drew with Arsenal

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually cant believe we are considering Martinez -absolute shocker the cheap option.

Are people actually thinking he can take us in to the top 4 or 6.....!

There are no indications what so ever that He would make a good manager.

He has proven that he has no clue what so ever when it comes to defending.

What has he ever achived part from promotion with Swansea and relegation battles with Wigan.

Owen Coyle all the way.

Have you interviewed Martinez Risso? Has he been appointed yet? It's utter nonsense because it doesn't fit with your criteria of slagging him off, no doubt you'll pull out the accounts and start analysing them to have another stick to beat Randy with. What credentials did Little have to manage Villa? What about Gregory? What did Moyes do before Everton? You go on about Bruce, as mentioned the team he had of Valencia, Heskey, Nzogbia and Palacios, compared to what Martinez is working with. He's worked on a shoe string budget, bet you he's spent less than Bruce did. But hey continue your beating of Randy! You've been doing it for a few years and getting a bit boring.

Who do people expect us to appoint really? To put it bluntly, were not an attractive enough proposition for the likes of Ancelotti to want to come here; so keep dreaming on that one.

Then we've got the middle of the range managers like Hughes, who I believe if appointed, would stabilise the club yes, but we would then finish 6-8 for then next 10 years (once again, no progression like the past 10 years and getting nowhere).

Or we could appoint an up and coming manager, who would be very risky, but at the same time could maybe take us that one step further than the middle of the roaders. Of course this is no guarantee and it could all go pear shaped, but if you don't take risks in life, you will literally get no where.

Martinez would fit the latter explanation, and I for one would be willing to take that risk on him.

I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. It's far from confirmed, in fact it sounds like Whelan expects him to stay. It also might be our plan B in case plan A doesn't come off so I think we should at least wait until an announcement before having a go at the board.

And for what it's worth, I think there's every chance he could turn out to be a good appointment if given enough time. Sadly I don't think he will be given much time.

Have you interviewed Martinez Risso? Has he been appointed yet? It's utter nonsense because it doesn't fit with your criteria of slagging him off, no doubt you'll pull out the accounts and start analysing them to have another stick to beat Randy with. What credentials did Little have to manage Villa? What about Gregory? What did Moyes do before Everton? You go on about Bruce, as mentioned the team he had of Valencia, Heskey, Nzogbia and Palacios, compared to what Martinez is working with. He's worked on a shoe string budget, bet you he's spent less than Bruce did. But hey continue your beating of Randy! You've been doing it for a few years and getting a bit boring.

Bruce had Heskey, Palacios and N'Zogbia because he bought them.

Little and Gregory didnt take over Villa after we'd just spent 200 odd million pounds in establishing ourselves as a top six club.

Make this appointment and we are tacitly admitting we've given up.

So lets get this right:

Carlo Ancelotti- Not interested - X

Mark Hughes - Randy doesn't want him - X

Steve Maclaren - Chances riuned by the fans reaction X

Martin Jol - Went to Fulham X

David Moyes - Not interested in Villa X

Rafa Benitez - Club wouldn't match his demands X

Roberto Martinez - Prefered to stay at Wigan :shock: X

So ... Who's left exactly?

What's wrong with Martinez? He's done reasonably well at Wigan, and has them playing excellent football. Worth a punt.

Worth the punt? Really? 3 good seasons. Bad one last season. We need a manager to push us on while we still have top players on board e.g. Bent

Martinez is no ambition appointment IMO.

Rafa or Hughes are free go for them.

Rijkard wants the job.... Is he worth the punt too? Would he not have more about him with regards to the players, media and fans?

You'll be on RM back the minute you remember how poor his teams are. All good when he wins a game thats it.

JG and BL was a different era. Football has moved way on since the 90's. If he is that good a top Spanish team would take him on board. Simples.

Some times i wonder who is charge any more, Doug or Randy.

All the top managers wont touch us with a barge pole. The ones available do a runner when they are told the budget, and our best players cant wait to jump off the sinking ship.

Meanwhile, we believe what we want to believe, because the truth that weve been fed for the last five years, is turning out to be nothing but a page from uncle Dougs book on how to con the punters.

Martinez will be a Doug style appointment. A yes man, and ultimately the man we will blame when it fails.

Randy will then be praised for listening to the fans concerns, and the whole fcuking band wagon begins again.

Im seeing nothing now, that is any different to the days of HDE.

Tommorow, my mood may have mellowed, and no doubt i will regret saying the above, but this is what my heart is telling me now, and sometimes your heart can be nearer the truth, than your brain.

Martinez does not equate to the ambition that this great club aspires to.

So lets get this right:

Carlo Ancelotti- Not interested - X

Mark Hughes - Randy doesn't want him - X

Steve Maclaren - Chances riuned by the fans reaction X

Martin Jol - Went to Fulham X

David Moyes - Not interested in Villa X

Rafa Benitez - Club wouldn't match his demands X

Roberto Martinez - Prefered to stay at Wigan :shock: X

So ... Who's left exactly?

Return of the MON

I see absolutely nothing that gives Martinez any credit as a manager.

He's taken Wigan backwards.

He plays passing football.

Passing football is only gOod football if it brings results. Mowbray played passing football with west broom and got relegated in last place.

I think Martinez would be a huge huge risk and one that would not pay off.

Little too Darlington up two divisions, and got Leicester into the Premier League. And I'll criticise Randy as often as I like thanks, as I think he knows nothing about appointing sports managers.