Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 14/01/2024 at 10:12, sidcow said:

Does feeding will birds create an imbalance which is bad for nature? 

We've got a couple of bird feeders that generally benefit the smaller garden birds. And a couple of nesting boxes that help Blue Tits and Great Tits. 

So are there far more Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Goldcrests and Nuthatches than there should be. 

They tend to feed the little green caterpillars to. Their chick's in breeding season. Are those insects being decimated because of too many small garden birds? 

Are larger birds suffering because they're being out competed by the smaller birds? 

I don't know but it's something I've wondered about. 

The Sparrowhawks aren't

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Are Americans really obsessed with skillets as Youtube would have me believe.

A bit like Chef Tony's pancake wizard? late night television has left this imprinted on my mind forever, 'Even cheese filled Blintzes'

And yes, I even brought Rap'tou back in the day, never used it 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Isn’t it just a stupid word for frying pan?

Probably wrongly I would associate skillet with being cast iron, I've got one, good for frying on the hob and then being able to stick it in the oven to add like grilled cheese when feeling overly healthy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Probably wrongly I would associate skillet with being cast iron, I've got one, good for frying on the hob and then being able to stick it in the oven to add like grilled cheese when feeling overly healthy 

It's a frying pan with a metal handle, designed to burn your hand when you forget and try to pick it up. 

• Haha 2

On 14/01/2024 at 10:12, sidcow said:

Does feeding will birds create an imbalance which is bad for nature? 

We've got a couple of bird feeders that generally benefit the smaller garden birds. And a couple of nesting boxes that help Blue Tits and Great Tits. 

So are there far more Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Goldcrests and Nuthatches than there should be. 

They tend to feed the little green caterpillars to. Their chick's in breeding season. Are those insects being decimated because of too many small garden birds? 

Are larger birds suffering because they're being out competed by the smaller birds? 

I don't know but it's something I've wondered about. 

They are competing with themselves not the bigger birds and as there is an abundance of food they are thriving. You can just never stop feeding them...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, colhint said:

USA population 340m 

U.K. Population 68m

Who would win in a piss up competition?

Wasn't this one done a while ago? Theory was it would be close so we'd join up with The Irish and obliterate them. 

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wasn't this one done a while ago? Theory was it would be close so we'd join up with The Irish and obliterate them. 

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not sure the Irish would want to team up with the Brits. 

Just tell them it's a kind of Ryder Cup. They'll fall into line.

Also leaves the opportunity to invite the Germans and Belgians but that would be unfair even if we allowed the yanks to drink light beer. 

19 hours ago, colhint said:

USA population 340m 

U.K. Population 68m

Who would win in a piss up competition?

The 30,000 people of San Marino would beat the US.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not sure the Irish would want to team up with the Brits. 

Meh, they do it in rugby with the Lions, which is probably just 1 big piss-up as well :) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Meh, they do it in rugby with the Lions, which is probably just 1 big piss-up as well :) 

Isn't the thing with rugby in Ireland that it's only posh boys that play it and therefore considered that they're closer to the Brits anyway, and normal people don't give a flying ****? I remember reading or hearing something about it before where the average man literally couldn't care less about rugby as it's only toffs that play it.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Isn't the thing with rugby in Ireland that it's only posh boys that play it and therefore considered that they're closer to the Brits anyway, and normal people don't give a flying ****? I remember reading or hearing something about it before where the average man literally couldn't care less about rugby as it's only toffs that play it.

While the demographic probably leans towards posh in and around Dublin, I can assure you the country very much does care about rugby a great deal. I'm not its biggest fan myself, but I'm in the minority. People go absolutely mad for it over here. Following the provinces (Leinster, Munster, Ulster & Connacht) is as fervent as following the national side. Sometimes moreso. As a football fan, I'd say there could be a case made that we're a rugby nation. Rugby tends to attract a much bigger female following too, which is not insignificant in itself.

• Thanks 1

Â