Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve stayed in the Ibis (Dean Street?) and had a giant John Lennon stencil on the wall over my bed. I’ve stayed at the MalMaisson and they had a yellow submarine suspended from the ceiling.

You do wonder, how long will it go on? Will it still be like this in another 60 years? Or will it mostly be the new Klopp based religion.

Well there’s a gap in the market because one of the big local theme hotel companies went bango not long ago, the corrupt f***ers, so that put paid to the Shankly and the Dixie Dean hotels. 
There is a new Holiday Inn Exprees and some upmarket hotel beginning with H about open in the near future on Duke St

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Corner room with river views in the Pullman last time.

Living like a drug baron.

Yeah you said in the pub. The views ok as long as you look over the land of the six fingered and across the Dee :D 

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 06:40, Seat68 said:

As much as I am a fan of her music, I am not a fan of the cult of Swift, but Taylor Swift missing from that cover is a glaring omission. 

Too busy jetting over the world, destroying the planet. 

AMIRITE?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve stayed in the Ibis (Dean Street?) and had a giant John Lennon stencil on the wall over my bed. I’ve stayed at the MalMaisson and they had a yellow submarine suspended from the ceiling.

You do wonder, how long will it go on? Will it still be like this in another 60 years? Or will it mostly be the new Klopp based religion.

I've never known a city so proud of itself as Liverpool - As much I love the place, I really do, I've always found the constant homages to local history too much. 

Maybe it's just the areas I've been too and the things that I've done there, but Manchester, a place with similar history (ish, you know what I mean) seems to do it so much better.

I've never known a city so proud of itself as Liverpool - As much I love the place, I really do, I've always found the constant homages to local history too much. 

Maybe it's just the areas I've been too and the things that I've done there, but Manchester, a place with similar history (ish, you know what I mean) seems to do it so much better.

Manchester sure do run Liverpool close for having an overblown opinion of itself. 

Meanwhile us Brummies just try to pretend the city doesn't exist. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Manchester sure do run Liverpool close for having an overblown opinion of itself. 

Meanwhile us Brummies just try to pretend the city doesn't exist. 

As something of an outsider, who’s had the good fortune over the years to visit a lot of places I’d have to say you are very close to the truth. As a crude summary of my experience working in various places:

Olympics in London and London was buzzing.

Common Wealth Games in Manchester, and they were buzzing.

Eurovision in Liverpool, or City of Culture, and they were buzzing.

Birmingham gets its turn, Common Wealth games and the message I got more than any other, it’ll be shit, something will go wrong, traffic will be awful.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As something of an outsider, who’s had the good fortune over the years to visit a lot of places I’d have to say you are very close to the truth. As a crude summary of my experience working in various places:

Olympics in London and London was buzzing.

Common Wealth Games in Manchester, and they were buzzing.

Eurovision in Liverpool, or City of Culture, and they were buzzing.

Birmingham gets its turn, Common Wealth games and the message I got more than any other, it’ll be shit, something will go wrong, traffic will be awful.

Nah, everyone was saying the London Olympics was going to be shit after Beijing. A comedian even did a segment about it. 

Most people were excited for Birmingham Commonwealth games from where I sat, most of the disappointment was that we only had the short run up to it so couldn't max out the benefits. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Nah, everyone was saying the London Olympics was going to be shit after Beijing. A comedian even did a segment about it. 

Most people were excited for Birmingham Commonwealth games from where I sat, most of the disappointment was that we only had the short run up to it so couldn't max out the benefits. 

Mmmm, maybe. I was sat in so many meetings down in Park Street or Hoxton Square pre Olympics with people throwing money at all sorts of cash in projects riding on the coat tails of the Olympics. Pop up shops, pop up hotels, wedging cash machines in to random walls, refurbing shops, sticking manifestation 6 storeys up glass buildings, there was no end to it.

Working in Bromsgrove, Worcester, and Kidderminster during Birmingham’s turn, not quite so much positivity.

That was my experience anyway, others experiences are available. 

4 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Try the whole of bleeding Yorkshire.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or Glasgow, or Newcastle or Bristol or Cardiff or most places not in the midlands if we're being honest.

To be fair, Cardiff has just cause.

• Haha 1

Â