Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

You'd like to think that the last few years would flush out some great bands 

I think I've definitley hit that age where new music does little for me anymore 

Listening to kano more than anything else, that seems to be the future, grime artists playing with live bands, I don't see it hitting arena tours with 1 man and a dj

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not quite, which new acts have appeared in the past 10-15 years that are world famous and will have music that lasts 20+ years?

Guess you got a few rap and RB artists like Lamar, Drake and the weknd. 

I class all music made after 1999 as a bloody racket apart from Mr Brightside by The Killers or that motorbike motorbike one by Little Mix

• Haha 1

Lets be honest though, things aren't like it was when we grew up. My generation actually played outside, met up outside, held concerts at youth clubs, etc. seems young people these days either watch TV, play videogames or are partying. I wouldn't be surprised of it affected the recruitment of new bands. Unless the scene is massively different with the youth in the UK. 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You'd like to think that the last few years would flush out some great bands 

I think I've definitley hit that age where new music does little for me anymore 

Listening to kano more than anything else, that seems to be the future, grime artists playing with live bands, I don't see it hitting arena tours with 1 man and a dj

Thing is kids these days can write and record songs in their own rooms and don't really have to get a band together and build from there.  Wolf Alice are the main example I can think of right now of a successful British indie band in the mould of the 90s-00s though they must have been around at least 5 years now.

• Like 1

I suspect there’s loads of excellent new music and much of it has learnt how to get to the listener directly and not have to wait for Sony and Radio 1 to pick them up.

So people outside the gang don’t even know it exists.

• Like 2

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Thing is kids these days can write and record songs in their own rooms and don't really have to get a band together and build from there.  Wolf Alice are the main example I can think of right now of a successful British indie band in the mould of the 90s-00s though they must have been around at least 5 years now.

Wolfsbane played in a pub where I live sometime in the 80s or might have been early 90s, The posters advertising the gig or said ‘Wolfsbane made me do it’ I think the lead singer the next year was in Iron Maiden

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah wolf Alice at least seem to have a bit of bite to them

So much new music now seems to be safe making it a bit wet / wishy washy

Not sure what snobs plays anymore, I'm guessing LAD Rock like gerry cinnamon who I think is robbing a living from dark fruits drinkers who still listen to the courteeners

DMAs are good though, sounds like they're trying to develop their sound too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Very talented bloke. Such a good actor, too.

I listened to a fair few podcasts with him around the time of hoodies all summers release, just before top boy, and he was playing it down massively, just a thing he kind of did but didn't really enjoy it because of the creative restrictions etc

And then I watched top boy... The man smashes it! He could seriously do it as a career if he wanted to

His lyrics are some of the most vivid and meaningful I've listened to in hip hop, it crosses over in to a world I don't live at times but it's still superb

If anything is any good these days it will get an audience, doesn't need to be played on radio 1 or released by a major label, there's no longer such a thing as 'underground music' anymore. There might be some decent new music released here and there, but haven't anything truly innovative in while now.

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not quite, which new acts have appeared in the past 10-15 years that are world famous and will have music that lasts 20+ years?

David Guetta
Avicii / Swedish House Mafia
Adele
That Sheeran gimp
Rihanna
Bruno Mars
Bieber
Lady Gaga
Amy Winehouse

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I listened to a fair few podcasts with him around the time of hoodies all summers release, just before top boy, and he was playing it down massively, just a thing he kind of did but didn't really enjoy it because of the creative restrictions etc

And then I watched top boy... The man smashes it! He could seriously do it as a career if he wanted to

His lyrics are some of the most vivid and meaningful I've listened to in hip hop, it crosses over in to a world I don't live at times but it's still superb

Been a fan since his first album. The new series of Top Boy is sooo good too.  Plan B has never had the recognition he really deserves either.  Ill Manors was good.

I like Dave right now too.  Very insightful.  Only just starting listening to Slowthai.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Been a fan since his first album. The new series of Top Boy is sooo good too.  Plan B has never had the recognition he really deserves either.  Ill Manors was good.

I like Dave right now too.  Very insightful.  Only just starting listening to Slowthai.

Can’t get in to slowthai, thought it was going to happen with doorman but nothing else landed for me, will try Dave at some point

i started with Kano when he did feel free on jools, he did SYM last year and a great live version of this is england a few years back and that’s what I mean with the live set up, he’s on there with a choir and a brass section

Dave is incredible. Psychodrama deserves the plaudits it got. 

I’d highly recommend his Brits performance from this year to anyone. Especially pertinent at the moment

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

On 01/06/2020 at 21:54, useless said:

Sometimes when sitting at a train station I'll see a train pull in and I'll look at the passengers onboard and think to myself I've never seen those people before and when it departs will probably never see them again, which for some reason makes me feel quite melancholic, obviously you see people that you will never see again in other situations, but something about them being carried far away by a mighty train makes it all the more explicit and final.

I often do something similar with stuff I see in old programmes on telly.  "I wonder where that sandwich is now", or "that magazine".  The thinking being, the atoms that made it still exist, but are now scattered throughout the planet (obviously the magazine might still be intact).  It'd be interesting to know how far the constituent parts have travelled from each other in the interim, if there was some way of highlighting them all in a google earth way.  I still think of my Off Road Top Trumps title card (beige Chevy Blazer FWIW) that went into Dingle harbour over 30 years ago and where the bits would have dissipated to now.  Yeah I have weird brainular thinkings.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 20:19, It's Your Round said:

If you lube up and ease in gently, she should do 👍🏻

Thanks matey, unfortunately this kind of tension is no longer present. 

On 23/05/2020 at 20:49, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Depends what you're asking?

If it's marriage or moving or in, don't ask! If there is that level of doubt, your relationship it just isn't at that stage yet. 

If it's going out on a date, just ask. You can't lose what you don't have. If she says no then you are in the same position as you are now, a guy with no-one to love!

If it's what @It's Your Round is suggesting, just ram it in, guage her reaction and if it's negative, immediately apologise and plead some kind of accident! 🤪

Thanks @WhatAboutTheFinish, I appreciate the advice.

This situation requires a lot of acceptance, in more than one aspect of our relationship.

She's still in two minds about it. It's ironic and strange, she once said to me, "put ego and pride aside" when we were discussing our relationship.

Anyway, I don't want to stink up the thread with this, could be one for the relationship advice thread.

Although being sensitive as I can be,  I'm not sure I receive the responses as they are intended.

Edited by A'Villan

I've in the past watched old movies or shows and wondered what characters or even background extras are doing right now at this very moment in time. And similar when reading a popular  novel I'll be reading a sentence and I'll wonder how many people are reading this exact same sentence as me at the exact same time, or I'll a read descriptive passage have an image in my head and then wonder out of all the thousands upon thousands of people who've read that same passage in which of them did it conjour up an image which was the most similar to mine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

I've in the past watched old movies or shows and wondered what characters or even background extras are doing right now at this very moment in time. And similar when reading a popular  novel I'll be reading a sentence and I'll wonder how many people are reading this exact same sentence as me at the exact same time, or I'll a read descriptive passage have an image in my head and then wonder out of all the thousands upon thousands of people who've read that same passage in which of them did it conjour up an image which was the most similar to mine.

There’s a YouTube channel that colourises and upgrades really old footage into 4K and/or 60fps (as much as possible)

some of the stuff is really old like early 1900’s

and my overriding thought when I watch them is “everybody in this video is dead”

• Like 3

Â