Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

How to we know there isn't something all around us to be sensed but we can't sense it because we don't have the biological endownment to sense it, like if humans were born without ears or the capacity to hear we wouldn't know that sounds exists, maybe there's something all around like sight, sound or smell but we don't know about it.

Edited by useless

On 05/06/2020 at 00:13, lapal_fan said:

Consciousness and collective consciousness are amazing.

We know barely anything about those little sparks of electricity that carry emotions/thoughts/feelings to another place. 

Considering our brain makes up 95% of who we are, we know next to nothing about it other than to protect it as best we can :)  

Like how babies are born, they can actually crawl up mom's body to find the breast for dinner.. but then completely forget the skill, hence why we have to relearn how to crawl. 

Our instincts are both powerful and limiting at the same time. 

Then you think, nothing matters outside of our atmosphere matters and it trivialises everything.  We're so self important in our little minds, with everything that's going on at the moment, little bits like that give me some tranquillity.  

Holy guacamole!

I try my utmost to stay positive and patient, accepting and understanding where and when I have the capacity. 

But my inner resources haven't been as reliable this week, and my usual optimism dampened.

But this post of yours @lapal_fan has made my day, it's up there for making my week. 

A welcome break from the monotonous drones of those self important little minds you mention.

@limpid says emotions and feelings are mostly chemical, and I'd agree as I often say love and life is more chemistry than it is biology.

Yet we still look at the stars and as a consequence have an experience of awe, beauty and imagination evoked in us.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the nearest star is roughly 137 thousand hours from earth, and that may be traveling at light speed?

How's that for a connection? 137 thousand hours away and we're still catching feels over them.

We get so caught up with the physical, it's the intangible where the magic resides.

Thanks for a top post lapal!

Edited by A'Villan
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, useless said:

How to we know there isn't something all around us to be sensed but we can't sense it because we don't have the biological endownment to sense it, like if humans were born without ears or the capacity to hear we wouldn't know that sounds exists, maybe there's something all around like sight, sound or smell but we don't know about it.

I guess there is. Gas. There’s all sorts of gas around us that we only know is there because of science. 

24 minutes ago, useless said:

As per Steve’s suggestion, gas, and in particular for me at the moment, Radon Gas.

I’ve a Client that appears to have just heard of this and is worried we’re all about to die!

Electricity would be another, so many fish etc. can detect electrical fields when they are hunting.

Echo location would be another.

Ultraviolet light as well. Loads of things around us. 

I meant something to be sensed that would be as important to the way we perceive the world as sight, sound and smell, touch and so on, but we can't do so because we haven't the capacity to.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I met him at a wedding last year. Nice guy. He drinks brandy and J20 though. Which I thought was pretty weird

Assuming orange J20 and would say that's OK, orange and brandy is a thing! Goes well of you can spice it and warm it up too 

Also sidecar cocktail which is brandy, orange liqueur and lemon

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I meant something to be sensed that would be as important to the way we perceive the world as sight, sound and smell, touch and so on, but we can't do so because we haven't the capacity to.

Ectoplasm.

I think in twenty years the music of people like Coldplay, Tayor Swift, Beyonce and so on will still be very popular. I bet twenty years ago people were saying that no one would be listening to The Spice Girls, Oasis, Pulp, Take That or whoever in twenty years time, but most people on the streets of all ages will be well aware of their songs. Also popularity isn't always an indicator of quality, although it often is.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

I think in twenty years the music of people like Coldplay, Tayor Swift, Beyonce and so on will still be very popular. I bet twenty years ago people were saying that no one would be listening to The Spice Girls, Oasis, Pulp, Take That or whoever in twenty years time, but most people on the streets of all ages will be well aware of their songs. Also popularity isn't always an indicator of quality, although it often is.

Fifty years ago people were saying that nobody would be listening to The Beatles in twenty years time. 

On 03/06/2020 at 21:38, Follyfoot said:

I had high hopes for Let Loose but I think that ship might have have sailed now

Crazy For You is a pop classic! 

On 03/06/2020 at 21:53, Genie said:

Not quite, which new acts have appeared in the past 10-15 years that are world famous and will have music that lasts 20+ years?

Killers? Ok stretching it as they were formed 19 years ago but Hot Fuss wasn't released until 2004.

Kings of Leon? 

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

This post from @imavillan still blows my mind.  Aston Villa playing football 116 years ago.  My next door neighbour is 102 years old.  He was not exactly a young man when he was captured in North Africa and sent to Stalag POW camps in WW2 where he used to smuggle soil out of tunnels, but even he was years away from being born when this video was shot. 

It's hard to imagine now where video is so omnipresent.  Even in my childhood in the 70s a few seconds of camcorder footage is rare. To see actual video footage from so long ago just amazes me. Seriously. 

I sometimes look at old photos, say from 1900 or so and look at the people and wonder what it was like to live then. What were their hopes and aspirations. Today I feel we have information overload with everything streamed 24 hours a day. What would a chap of 40 in 1900 be thinking about? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Killers? Ok stretching it as they were formed 19 years ago but Hot Fuss wasn't released until 2004.

Kings of Leon? 

Rather like my choices very much stretching the timescale which I guess really just proves the point. 

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

What would a chap of 40 in 1900 be thinking about? 

Sex

beer

money

his sore knee

work

that dickhead over the road

tomorrow’s weather

Aston Villa

food

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

20 years ago I said no one would be listening to The Spice Girls.  And to be fair you don't really hear their music around that much. You hear Take Than more.  Pulp are one of my absolute favourite bands and I bet Absolute Radio for example play a Pulp song nearly every day. 

Oasis obviously you will hear around a lot.  Incidentally I liked both Oasis and Blur and at the height of their rivalry I would probably have come down more on the Oasis side but as time has gone by I have become bored by Oasis.  I could still happily listen to Park Life regularly but I could only listen to Definitely Maybe once before a long break. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oasis obviously you will hear around a lot.  Incidentally I liked both Oasis and Pulp and at the height of their rivalry I would probably have come down more on the Oasis side but as time has gone by I have become bored by Oasis.  I could still happily listen to Park Life regularly but I could only listen to Definitely Maybe once before a long break. 

*Blur :) 

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

I sometimes look at old photos, say from 1900 or so and look at the people and wonder what it was like to live then. What were their hopes and aspirations. Today I feel we have information overload with everything streamed 24 hours a day. What would a chap of 40 in 1900 be thinking about? 

Never mind 1900, those changes have happened in my lifetime. In my 20s - no personal computers, no mobile phones, no internet, three TV channels that broadcast for about eight hours a day, no video recording. As to what we were thinking about, Chrisp65 has answered it perfectly. 

• Like 2

Spice Girls are still very well known as soon as one of their songs comes on people know instantly who it is, and they're massively influential. From the last ten years people will be still listening to Taylor Swift in years to come, in fact she will probably be still making music because as well as being a pop star she's also an highly accomplished country and western artist so can make music to appeal to that audience. Then you've got people like Rhianna, Lady Gaga, and Land Del Rey who's songs will still be widely listen to in twenty plus years.

Â