Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

One day in the future people might read this forum or some archival version of it and think the very same thing. Which is also something else that I've wondered, that in years to come people when studying their family trees might look on sites like this to learn about their family history.

• Like 2

Consciousness and collective consciousness are amazing.

We know barely anything about those little sparks of electricity that carry emotions/thoughts/feelings to another place. 

Considering our brain makes up 95% of who we are, we know next to nothing about it other than to protect it as best we can :)  

Like how babies are born, they can actually crawl up mom's body to find the breast for dinner.. but then completely forget the skill, hence why we have to relearn how to crawl. 

Our instincts are both powerful and limiting at the same time. 

Then you think, nothing matters outside of our atmosphere matters and it trivialises everything.  We're so self important in our little minds, with everything that's going on at the moment, little bits like that give me some tranquillity.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

We know barely anything about those little sparks of electricity that carry emotions/thoughts/feelings to another place. 

Emotions and feelings are mainly chemical.

No-one should claim that we are near being able to artificially reproduce thoughts (yet), but emotion changing drugs have been around for a long time.

https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/ if you want to learn about anything like this.

On 20/02/2020 at 12:04, imavillan said:

1.27 Of a very early MotD🙂

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There’s a YouTube channel that colourises and upgrades really old footage into 4K and/or 60fps (as much as possible)

some of the stuff is really old like early 1900’s

and my overriding thought when I watch them is “everybody in this video is dead”

This post from @imavillan still blows my mind.  Aston Villa playing football 116 years ago.  My next door neighbour is 102 years old.  He was not exactly a young man when he was captured in North Africa and sent to Stalag POW camps in WW2 where he used to smuggle soil out of tunnels, but even he was years away from being born when this video was shot. 

It's hard to imagine now where video is so omnipresent.  Even in my childhood in the 70s a few seconds of camcorder footage is rare. To see actual video footage from so long ago just amazes me. Seriously. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Genie said:

Not quite, which new acts have appeared in the past 10-15 years that are world famous and will have music that lasts 20+ years?

Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys? 

Just now, sidcow said:

Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys? 

I read it and instantly thought AM were older than that and therefore didn't count them :lol:

But yeah AM definitely 

Kasabian not so much, great live but the albums are solid rather than spectacular 

Going back to the earlier music discussions it seems to me something needs to change. 

Looking back at how Punk literally HAD TO HAPPEN to sweep away staid (stayed?) 70s Prog Rock/Disco/Easy Listening, and Brit Pop (I use the terms extremely loosely because most bands weren't really that Genre, I mean the popularisation of Indy type guitar based music) had to happen was to sweep away the European Techno/Stock Aitken Waterman/I can't even remember what other shit was around then*. It really feels like something needs to change now. 

* I spent most of the early to mid 90s/my early to mid 20s upstairs at The Ship Ashore listening to Rock and Roll because I'd become so completely disillusioned with music/night clubs of the time. I don't regret that because I had a whale of a time and never saw so much as a scuffle in 5 years of nights out. 

The charts seem to be rammed full of totally generic R&B/Girl Bands/Boy Bands/DJ x Featuring Artist Y/Boring wailing singer songwriter, and I'm not been a grumpy old man by saying each of those Genre artists do all sound the same as the other. 

My kids are 16 and 18 and they do follow current music but equally listen to a massive proportion of old music, much much more than I did at their age.  I feel they are more or less where I was in my 20s.

I reckon popular music is on the cusp of another sea change because something surely has to give. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I read it and instantly thought AM were older than that and therefore didn't count them :lol:

But yeah AM definitely 

Kasabian not so much, great live but the albums are solid rather than spectacular 

I think they are both great bands, it seems trendy to have a downer on Kasabian.  But they do only just squeeze into the time frame by the skin of their teeth.   I would say The Vaccines but WDYEFTV was 10 years ago as well. 

I've not bought any of their stuff but The Blossoms seem to be a pretty good modern Rock/Pop band doing a bit of business. 

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm into a bit of Wretch 32.  I thought Sway was gonna be massive back in the day but I guess he never had the commercial sound that Dizzee had.

I met him at a wedding last year. Nice guy. He drinks brandy and J20 though. Which I thought was pretty weird

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Sway?

No sorry, Wretch 32

(or Jermaine as he introduced himself as. I needed my OH to tell me it was Wretch 32... the dreads threw me off!)

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No sorry, Wretch 32

(or Jermaine as he introduced himself as. I needed my OH to tell me it was Wretch 32... the dreads threw me off!)

Wretch 32 drinks J2O?  Did he have any other number-based preferences?

Puns aside, Traktor was an absolute belter and reminds me of my peak Ibiza years.

• Haha 1

Â