Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Never mind 1900, those changes have happened in my lifetime. In my 20s - no personal computers, no mobile phones, no internet, three TV channels that broadcast for about eight hours a day, no video recording. As to what we were thinking about, Chrisp65 has answered it perfectly. 

I still can't get over scanning documents. 

I remember as a child going into my Dad's work and he let me draw pictures and then copy them on a photocopier, that seemed like Black Magic. 

In the early 90s my boss at work talked about scanning documents onto the computer. I just couldn't understand how that could be possible because we were still using green screen computers, I hadn't even fathomed how PCs would replace mainframe system. 

Then when we really did get scanners which would be what, 15 - 20 years after I had first heard of them I was amazed and still am now. 

We're completely paperless at work and I'm currently working from home in EXACTLY the same way as I would at work, literally full functionality, no difference.  Would have been impossible 10 years ago and beyond my comprehension from 1991. 

• Like 2

I've often wondered what it must have been like for people who were around when there was no telephones, motorcars, trams, electric lights, aeroplanes, radios or gramophones, but were young enough that they were around to see all those things come into existence. The world before and after these changes must have seemed completely different to them.

Edited by useless

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oasis and Blur were both pretty shit. Both were hyped way beyond their talents. Pulp on the other hand were vastly under appreciated (apart from the Different Class album)

Spotify keep trying to shove Pulp and/or Jarvis Cocker down my ears but I'd rather listen to my arm getting stuck in a lawnmower.  **** hate them with a passion.

• Like 1

Today I wondered about how much of a boring person would you be to actually write this... It's about the war memorial where I live. Where I live is tiny and there really are only a handful of names on the war memorial

CB3C37B4-2ECD-4645-96D7-13B140C998FD.jpeg

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Spotify keep trying to shove Pulp and/or Jarvis Cocker down my ears but I'd rather listen to my arm getting stuck in a lawnmower.  **** hate them with a passion.

They are only intended for the discerning listener 😂:trollface:

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I still can't get over scanning documents. 

I remember as a child going into my Dad's work and he let me draw pictures and then copy them on a photocopier, that seemed like Black Magic. 

In the early 90s my boss at work talked about scanning documents onto the computer. I just couldn't understand how that could be possible because we were still using green screen computers, I hadn't even fathomed how PCs would replace mainframe system. 

Then when we really did get scanners which would be what, 15 - 20 years after I had first heard of them I was amazed and still am now. 

We're completely paperless at work and I'm currently working from home in EXACTLY the same way as I would at work, literally full functionality, no difference.  Would have been impossible 10 years ago and beyond my comprehension from 1991. 

Fax machines still baffle me! Even though they are now defunct

I'm pretty much paperless as well now. I can issue legal documents to clients that they can electronically sign on their computers, tablets or even mobile phones that can complete a complex financial transaction/sale. When i joined the role 10 years or so ago, we had to wait for original signed paperwork in the post and took cheques as deposit payments! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oasis and Blur were both pretty shit. Both were hyped way beyond their talents. Pulp on the other hand were vastly under appreciated (apart from the Different Class album)

I think Blur and in particular Park Life were innovative, unique and a breath of Fresh air.  They never really managed to follow it up though. 

Pulp were the real band for me from that time though.  His 'n' Hers is a better album for me than Different Class but yes Different Class is their real big hit. 

A Guy I work with and have known for years recently dropped casually into a conversation with me about the time he went to a pub quiz with Jarvis Cocker.  Turns out his friends other half has a sister married to someone in Pulp and his whole group used to mix in Pulp circles, go watch them then go out afterwards type of thing.  Can't believe he didn't tell me before, I could have asked to go along one weekend. 

Speaking of a bands legacy I was surprised to hear Pretty Vacant come on the radio this afternoon, turned the Volume right up and had a bit of a boogie whilst writing emails. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fax machines still baffle me! Even though they are now defunct

I'm pretty much paperless as well now. I can issue legal documents to clients that they can electronically sign on their computers, tablets or even mobile phones that can complete a complex financial transaction/sale. When i joined the role 10 years or so ago, we had to wait for original signed paperwork in the post and took cheques as deposit payments! 

I've only just found out that you can scan a cheque on your phone to bank it and don't need to even take it to the bank. 

Animated GIF

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Assuming orange J20 and would say that's OK, orange and brandy is a thing! Goes well of you can spice it and warm it up too 

Also sidecar cocktail which is brandy, orange liqueur and lemon

I can't remember what J20 it was but I have a feeling it was purple!

He looked cool as **** anyway so I wasn't about to question him :D 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think Blur and in particular Park Life were innovative, unique and a breath of Fresh air.  They never really managed to follow it up though. 

Pulp were the real band for me from that time though.  His 'n' Hers is a better album for me than Different Class but yes Different Class is their real big hit. 

A Guy I work with and have known for years recently dropped casually into a conversation with me about the time he went to a pub quiz with Jarvis Cocker.  Turns out his friends other half has a sister married to someone in Pulp and his whole group used to mix in Pulp circles, go watch them then go out afterwards type of thing.  Can't believe he didn't tell me before, I could have asked to go along one weekend. 

Speaking of a bands legacy I was surprised to hear Pretty Vacant come on the radio this afternoon, turned the Volume right up and had a bit of a boogie whilst writing emails. 

Yeah but you're on VT mate. Oasis and Blur were popular so they are shit. Pulp were less popular so they're better. Get it?

Even better than Pulp would be that band that nobody has ever heard of that did that gig to 150 people in the back of The Red Lion in 1992

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, useless said:

I've often wondered what it must have been like for people who were around when there was no telephones, motorcars, trams, electric lights, aeroplanes, radios or gramophones, but were young enough that they were around to see all those things come into existence. The world before and after these changes must have seemed completely different to them.

Really the world has probably changed more in the last 20 years than all those things. Mobile Phones, The Internet, Streaming, Online Shopping, Social Media.  None of these things were on my Horizon as an early teenager.  I think we are living through monumental times, the Technological Revolution. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but you're on VT mate. Oasis and Blur were popular so they are shit. Pulp were less popular so they're better. Get it?

Even better than Pulp would be that band that nobody has ever heard of that did that gig to 150 people in the back of The Red Lion in 1992

Kasabian are the trendy band to dislike. 

I've noticed serious music journalists bandy around the phrase "stadium rock" in a kind of sarcastic tone sort of "if you like that kind of thing" 

It's like if thousands of people really like going to a huge venue to listen to these popular tunes they must be shit and and I should treat them with disdain.  The new U2. 

That said I blinkin hate Coldplay and can't understanding why thousands of people would go to a huge stadium to listen to their hugely popular songs.  (other than Yellow). 

There was a much bigger leap in the way the world looked in the scenario that I described than in the way it's changed in the last twenty years. They went from a world of horse and carts, candles and gas lamps for light, slow communication and travel to a world that suddenly had electric lights, high speed travel and communication, people's lives and the way the developed world looked and sounded would have changed completely . We might have things like the internet, and mobile phones but wouldn't feel as much of a leap because we were born into a world when versions of these things already existed in some form or another, I think for us to experience anything like what it must have felt like for those who saw the world change before and after electricity it would probably take the invention of something like teleportation or time travel, or some kind of technology that would completely change the world.

Edited by useless

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Really the world has probably changed more in the last 20 years than all those things. Mobile Phones, The Internet, Streaming, Online Shopping, Social Media.  None of these things were on my Horizon as an early teenager.  I think we are living through monumental times, the Technological Revolution. 

As a kid in the 1960s I was an avid reader of science fiction, speculating on what the world might be like in (say) 2020. Apart from all the post-nuclear holocaust stuff, when it came to technology predictions the emphasis was always on transport - space travel, personal jet packs, flying cars, teleportation, etc. When they considered computers, it was always a giant mainframe, manned by white coated boffins, and rows of reel-to-reel tape machines. Almost nobody predicted what has actually happened - transport technology is fundamentally the same as it was back then, but the big revolution has been in telecoms - with cheap, tiny, massively powerful computers in everyone's homes and pockets. Maybe the next big breakthrough is again going to be in something that nobody has predicted. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Mountain of Love, live at The Windmill, Brixton back in 2011

I was convinced they were going to be massive. I left there absolutely buzzing I was at the first gig.

Turned out I was pretty much at the last gig too!

• Haha 3

I remember when I was little I was told in the future there would be flying trains and for some reason I was really looking forward to that, but now I realise it doesn't sound much different to an aeroplane but wthout wings, so wouldn't be that exciting.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Fifty years ago people were saying that nobody would be listening to The Beatles in twenty years time. 

They were almost right too

The Beatles pretty much disappeared from the top ten artists sales list during the ’80s. The was a great infographic showing the top in quarterly sales by year posted by Classic Rock Magazine on Facebook which isn't possible to post here, showing this from 1970 to present day and the Flab Four pretty much don't appear for the decade only reappearing right at the end

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As a kid in the 1960s I was an avid reader of science fiction, speculating on what the world might be like in (say) 2020. Apart from all the post-nuclear holocaust stuff, when it came to technology predictions the emphasis was always on transport - space travel, personal jet packs, flying cars, teleportation, etc. When they considered computers, it was always a giant mainframe, manned by white coated boffins, and rows of reel-to-reel tape machines. Almost nobody predicted what has actually happened - transport technology is fundamentally the same as it was back then, but the big revolution has been in telecoms - with cheap, tiny, massively powerful computers in everyone's homes and pockets. Maybe the next big breakthrough is again going to be in something that nobody has predicted. 

I think I've posted this before but hey ho. I remember watching a tomorrows world years ago when they covered what I now know to be MP3/digital music players.  

Whilst they got the MP3 technology bit right it's implementation was comically wrong.  They predicted we would take our music players into HMW and physically plug them into (they showed a series of pillars, but basically some kind of download point) somewhere in the shop to buy the music. The Internet wasn't even envisioned.  

I also remember seeing another one where they concluded that video phone calls would be literally impossible because of the amount of data that would be needed. Zoom says hello. 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I think I've posted this before but hey ho. I remember watching a tomorrow world years ago when they covered what I now know to me MP3/digital music players.  

Whilst they got the MP3 technology bit right it's implementation was comically wrong.  They predicted we would take our music players into HMW and physically plug them into (they showed a series of pillars, but basically some kind of download point) somewhere in the shop to buy the music. The Internet wasn't even envisioned.  

I also remember seeing another one where they concluded that video phone calls would be literally impossible because of the amount of data that would be needed. Zoom says hello. 

I remember when they did CDs, you could spread jam on them and they'd still play... They must have removed that feature by the time they hit the shops 🤣

• Haha 1

Â