Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 hours ago, limpid said:

There was a guy on here who believed that the story of Noah's Ark was real. There was a guy on here who though Barry Bannan was really good. Perhaps the relative would have got better anyway, or there was something else in their diet. Who knows? Placebos work like that.

I know people who think that homeopathy works despite the masses of evidence that show that it doesn't work any better than placebo. There's even less evidence for coconut oil and Alzheimers - none. No trials (yet) to even measure it. If scientists thought it was feasible they'd be all over that for the chance of a Nobel prize for medicine.

PS. I've heard from someone that donating to VillaTalk gives you superpowers. By your logic you are now required to believe that is true and as you've previously acted on similar stories, I'd be disappointed if you didn't follow through with this one.

Maybe noah's ark was real? and maybe barry bannan was a good footballer?

Your opinion about something dosent make it a fact.

Coconut oil has alot of healthy fats, and healthy fats is good for your brain, there is alot of information about it on the net, read it and become alittle wiser.

Best current advice on Alzheimers seems to be the old "keep your mind active" trick - read a lot, play a musical instrument, learn a language, do crossword puzzles & sudokus, etc. The theory is that it does nothing to stop the brain rot, but it keeps your brain reallocating cells for different purposes. End result is that it still kills you, but you have a far shorter period of dementia. And yes, there IS scientific evidence for this - there was a big feature on it in New Scientist a couple of years ago.

Just now, mjmooney said:

Best current advice on Alzheimers seems to be the old "keep your mind active" trick - read a lot, play a musical instrument, learn a language, do crossword puzzles & sudokus, etc. The theory is that it does nothing to stop the brain rot, but it keeps your brain reallocating cells for different purposes. End result is that it still kills you, but you have a far shorter period of dementia. And yes, there IS scientific evidence for this - there was a big feature on it in New Scientist a couple of years ago.

Apparently the latest advice is running and walking is better then all the things you mentioned above.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Coconut oil has alot of healthy fats, and healthy fats is good for your brain, there is alot of information about it on the net, read it and become alittle wiser.

Info that's backed by zero scientific evidence.

• Like 2

Learning languages is supposed to help too!

But hey, the only decent advice appears to be to try and be generally healthy, don't over do anything, don't share needles or shag strangers from africa. After that, there's a lot of luck involved and potentially a lot of self denial for unproveable diminishing rewards.

Sometimes, just drinking water and only eating cabbage and nuts doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like it.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Science doesn't even know what is smaller than a quark, don't believe anything science tells you.

a quark is a fundamental component of matter in the universe

life is made of matter

the word ark is smaller than quark

and an ark that can contained the fundamental explanation for life on the planet today was first discussed in the bible.

ergo Religion is RIGHT :o

Edited by Rodders

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

a quark is a fundamental component of matter in the universe

life is made of matter

the word ark is smaller than quark

and an ark that can contains the fundamental explanation for life on the planet was first discussed in the bible.

ergo Religion is RIGHT :o

see? ;)

2 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

Maybe noah's ark was real? and maybe barry bannan was a good footballer?

Your opinion about something dosent make it a fact.

My opinion? Cite one peer reviewed study which supports your claim. Just one. (Please learn what peer reviewed means before you post a load of links to websites.)

The only possible way in which coconut oil could relive Alzeimer's (there is nothing it can to to prevent it) is in that it might allow glucose to be better used by cells in the brain. I've no idea what healthy fats would do to assist with this. I'm not sure what metabolic process would allow these "healthy fats" to cross the blood barrier in a way that would allow them to interact with the brain. But hey, do the science, win a Nobel prize.

• Like 1

Pfft, they already found Noah's Ark.

A team of evangelical Christian explorers claim they've found the remains of Noah's ark beneath snow and volcanic debris on Turkey's Mount Ararat.

ermmm, interesting

Noah's Ark zoo farm, just outside Bristol.

Took the kids along a few years ago presuming the name was just due to relevance to animals and kids stories.

No, no, no. They have a big model of the Ark and all the maths worked out. There were posters on the walls saying stuff such as 'a man should do as told by God, a wife should do as told by her husband'. I pointed it out to my missus and got a jab in the kidneys for my trouble.

• Like 1

Apparently the latest advice is running and walking is better then all the things you mentioned above.

Yep, do that too.

I do all of the above (except **** ing sudoku). Just because I want to - but the fact that Alzheimers destroyed my Dad is never far from my mind.

Â