Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I'm flying about 4 times a week at the moment and every flight makes me hate it even more. I know the stats, I know how safe it is but I can't stop myself expecting to fall out of the sky at any given moment. The most irrational of fears but if I never had to get on a plane again, I'd be delighted.

Same with me.

I'm not flying very regularly, but my fear is getting worse each time.

Now it's not very bad, just a bit of nerves. But it's definitely getting worse.

Barely an hour flight from Cork on Wednesday, and I was dreading it. Found myself thinking "I'll go to the supermarket when I'm back in Birmingham... if I survive the flight"

As you say, totally irrational. I KNOW I'm more likely to die on the way to the airport. But I can't help it.

I'd love to cure it. It's not enough to stop me flying anywhere. But it's enough for me to hate the prospect of taking a flight.

what you need is a scary flight with heavy turbulence and people screaming and crying

once you survive that then you'll be cured and never fear flying again

Has that happened to you? What happened?

Im guessing there was turbulence. And people started crying.

Most regular flyers will have had a flight like that

If your plane crashed in the wilderness, would you stay with your fellow survivors?

I'd get out of there a.s.a.p. I'm not hanging around for cannibalism. I'd probably look for a gun first, just in case.

I'd defo cut chunks out of the fattest dead person's arse if i were starving

I'd like to think being a big fan of ray mears and bear grylls that i could survive a situation like that and make it out alive

Just look for moss on the south side of tree's and drink your own piss

Simples

• Like 1

I'm flying about 4 times a week at the moment and every flight makes me hate it even more. I know the stats, I know how safe it is but I can't stop myself expecting to fall out of the sky at any given moment. The most irrational of fears but if I never had to get on a plane again, I'd be delighted.

Same with me.

Barely an hour flight from Cork on Wednesday, and I was dreading it. Found myself thinking "I'll go to the supermarket when I'm back in Birmingham... if I survive the flight"

As you say, totally irrational. I KNOW I'm more likely to die on the way to the airport. But I can't help it.

I'd love to cure it. It's not enough to stop me flying anywhere. But it's enough for me to hate the prospect of taking a flight.

It might help if you take up a "crash position" right from the start.

Put your seat belt on then mess up your hair spread both legs in front of you and let your head fall forward and to one side.

This is funnier than anything you've ever written in the joke thread.

If your plane crashed in the wilderness, would you stay with your fellow survivors?

I'd get out of there a.s.a.p. I'm not hanging around for cannibalism. I'd probably look for a gun first, just in case.

I'd immediately eat everyone.

Get it out of the way.

I used to be terrified but I've done a  lot more flying than usual in the last two years and it has definitely got better.  Now I just shit myself on take off and landing rather than for the whole week leading up to a flight.

The 'navigating by moss on trees' thing is a myth. 

No need for that

You could have just said i was "barking" up the wrong tree

Edited by AshVilla

The 'navigating by moss on trees' thing is a myth.

No need for that

You could have just said i was "barking" up the wrong tree

I'm not Drat.
  • Like 3

I'd get out of there a.s.a.p. I'm not hanging around for cannibalism.

Lost directed by CED sounds much more fun.

Edited by Ginko

Same with me.

what you need is a scary flight with heavy turbulence and people screaming and crying

once you survive that then you'll be cured and never fear flying again 

Been there too, which I think is where my fear of flying may have started. Paris to Glasgow on BA. Pilot announces shortly after take-off "we've had the weather reports from Glasgow and suffice it to say, the landing will be somewhat sporting". Was quite a sight to see Glasgow on the left of the plane one minute and then two miles out the right window a minute later. I was sat two seats away from Des Lynam and even he looked worried. 

We ended half-on-half-off the runway, surrounded by fire engines. The only good bit was sliding down the slidey thing to exit the plane but by that point, I was in no mood for fun. 

Two weeks later, I'm on a flight into Seattle during a thunderstorm and the plane almost overshoots the runway.

Oddly, these two events did nothing to improve my calmness on subsequent flights.

A few years ago I used to commute to work by airplane (sounds just a bit more flash than it was). You'd get the occasional windy landing at a jaunty angle but never anything too dramatic. Funny thing is, when you become a regular you begin to recognise individual planes, one had a bit of a vibration at take off, one had a metallic screech when braking etc.. One even had a sort of whistling window which I found a bit disconcerting. I could tell you what noises each plane made at what point of the journey, but I couldn't tell you what make of plane they were. Medium sized jets.

Anyway, one day some dickhead mid twenties bloke had been a loud mouthed pain in the harse most of the flight, he was in holiday mode and showing off to lots of bored and tired people. As we were landing he decided to be really really funny and stand up in his seat and announce 'I don't wanna die.....' really loudly. Trouble for Mr Dickhead was, that was the hardest landing I'd ever experienced, a proper back jolting smack on the tarmac that the pilot apologised for. Mr Dickhead managed to do something to both his knees and had to stay on the plane when we all got off.   

A few years ago I used to commute to work by airplane (sounds just a bit more flash than it was). You'd get the occasional windy landing at a jaunty angle but never anything too dramatic. Funny thing is, when you become a regular you begin to recognise individual planes, one had a bit of a vibration at take off, one had a metallic screech when braking etc.. One even had a sort of whistling window which I found a bit disconcerting. I could tell you what noises each plane made at what point of the journey, but I couldn't tell you what make of plane they were. Medium sized jets.

Anyway, one day some dickhead mid twenties bloke had been a loud mouthed pain in the harse most of the flight, he was in holiday mode and showing off to lots of bored and tired people. As we were landing he decided to be really really funny and stand up in his seat and announce 'I don't wanna die.....' really loudly. Trouble for Mr Dickhead was, that was the hardest landing I'd ever experienced, a proper back jolting smack on the tarmac that the pilot apologised for. Mr Dickhead managed to do something to both his knees and had to stay on the plane when we all got off.   

Myself and the missus flew over for the Liverpool game last Easter, but flew home to Dublin and then flew Aer Lingus Regional from Dublin to Kerry, plane looked like it was held together with chewing gum. Had a desperate breeze as well coming into land and the plane was all over the place, pilot made fairly light work of it however, but we were half shitting ourselves, more or less only ones on the plane as well so were a bit bold.

I used to be terrified but I've done a  lot more flying than usual in the last two years and it has definitely got better.  Now I just shit myself on take off and landing rather than for the whole week leading up to a flight.

This is me, I have been flying regularly since I was 11, then 5 years ago I started bricking it during take offs and landings. Its getting worse all the time.

This is me, I have been flying regularly since I was 11, then 5 years ago I started bricking it during take offs and landings. Its getting worse all the time.

I've got a thing like that except with heights recently (maybe last 6 months), when I was young I'd be mad climbing trees and going as high as I could, never any fear, but recently my brother shows me someone scaling a building or hanging off a crane and I'll get light headed and I can't look at it. For example we were watching Dark Knight there a few months back and when he's on top of IFC 2 in Hong Kong I'd to close my eyes and turn my head away, was almost like a mini panic attack.

Edited by Folski

I got the flying commute when a Director of the firm got a panic attack at Heathrow. He'd done the journey dozens of times, he was sat in the lounge, flight got called and he just couldn't do it.

On the subject of planes stuck together with ticky tacky, I've previously had opportunity to have a good look around an engine repair and refurb faciltiy. All I can say is that BA engines arrive for a service in better condition than some other airlines leaves. They must be top of the tree for looking after their kit.

Â