Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Who, on VT, has the lowest likes to posts ratio?

(and conversely, who has the highest)?

I believe Ser Pints has the highest.

I make it VillaDK1 on 5.3 likes per post (16 likes, 3 posts).

• Like 1

On a related note, Con surprisingly has a very high posts to like ratio. But what must be remembered is that many of us signed up for the site many years ago before there was the 'like' option. And so subsequently we posted for many years and received no 'likes'. Whereas someone who signed maybe only 2 years ago will have a very high point to like ratio. If that makes sense. 

To answer your question I would have to check the post count tab in the members bit. But I would hazard a guess it is someone who posts regularly in the main section of the site rather than other football or off topic. I've noticed more likes get given out there because that is where the majority of people on the site are. I guess that's quite obvious. 

• Like 1

I believe Ser Pints has the highest.

That's impressive! What were his posts?

Did he join and then retire a champion the same day?

One for the musicians I guess but is it easier to write your own song or re-invent someone else's song as a cover version with your own style and mark on it ?

I just saw a rather good cover version on YouTube that that artist clearly spent a lot of time making his own mark on and his unique style

As the song structure etc is already in place is changing it harder than starting from scratch , you've sorta still got to make it all fit

I was hoping a 'proper' musician would answer this, but no takers, so I'll have a go. 

I don't think one is 'easier' than the other, they're just aspects of playing music. Unless you're a very good musician/band, it's pretty damned hard NOT to make somebody else's song sound like your own, i.e. different to the original - if only through having lesser skills and inferior equipment. 

Taking it beyond that, you can do the trick of completely changing the style of playing - altering time signatures, instrumentation, even lyrics. It's fun, even if it doesn't always 'work'. 

Songwriting's another thing entirely. And there are as many ways of doing it as there are songwriters - words first, chords first, melody first, all at once, writing alone, writing with a partner, and so on. The nice thing is that it's YOUR song, so nobody can tell you you're not playing it 'right'! 

I'm just getting back into it, after years away, and it's both hard work and fun. But it's definitely an iterative process (for me at any rate) - come up with something, record it, listen to it, decide it's crap, don't give up at that point, go back and change it, repeat until you're happy with it, or maybe take a break, do a different one, come back to the first one... 

Currently messing around with dropped D tuning on the guitar, which is taking the process in a different direction again. 

• Like 4

Drop D? Egads, Mooney is going all emo on us!

Good post though. I started writing a reply to this when the question was asked but also felt I should leave it up to someone with more expertise. I agree with all of what you said - covering a song and writing your own are two completely different processes. Both are fun.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

I wouldn't know emo from a hole in the ground. 

Dropped D (double dropped D to be more specific) says to me Davy Graham, Bert Janch, Jimmy Page, Steve Stills, Neil Young... 

I was just teasing ;)

Emo music was pretty popular when I was in my teens and that's when I started playing guitar so needless to say I was drop D'ing quite a bit to play some of the songs that were around at the time.

It's not all emo though, as you mentioned above, though I admit none of those guys are particularly to my taste, not Jimmy Page's solo stuff any way.

I remember Everlong by Foo Fighters and Come Back Around by Feeder as being two of the songs I used to play that require drop D.

I tried DADGAD too, but that's a bit more challenging. 

BTW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M10dZwdtw4s

We should really take this to the musicians thread. 

• Like 1

Yeah I've dabbled with DADGAD from time to time but I can't ever really work with it.

See, that's incredibly impressive, and I can absolutely appreciate the technical skill involved with that sort of thing, but it's just not something that I would ever choose to listen to.

I believe, after months of careful study and research, he successfully calculated the precise formula for achieving optimal like-returns for minimum content.  Subsequently, his 3 posts consisted of...

1. A gif of Paul Lambert riding a zebra.

2. A pun about Susan Coffey.

3. A scathing derision of one of Con's posts.

• Like 3

I believe, after months of careful study and research, he successfully calculated the precise formula for achieving optimal like-returns for minimum content.  Subsequently, his 3 posts consisted of...

Gif, pun, mocking of Con.  They are the three biggest 'like' draws on the internet.  

Fair play to him.

• Like 2

I believe, after months of careful study and research, he successfully calculated the precise formula for achieving optimal like-returns for minimum content. Subsequently, his 3 posts consisted of...

You sir are a liar and a scoundrel.

Went in search of that gif(that I'm now considering making just because it should exist)

Google had nothing, so I search for this villadk1 and find out he was just an itk on the okore deal =`[.

I WANTED LAMBERT ON A ZEBRA DAMN IT.

Â