Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Watching a documentary on rock and roll.

What makes it rock and roll,

I'm just hearing blues, walking bass lines, and very very blues guitars.

Is one a sub genre of the other?

Can anyone tell me the difference please its driving me crazy.

Rock n roll has many sub genres, proper rock n roll was people like bill hayley. Is blues rock n roll or is it just blues?

Led Zep were blues rock n roll, but then who would you categorise as simple rock n roll? Stadium bands?

What is broccoli anyway?

Yeah zep started out very bluesy and were very rock n roll with it, where as cream were blues but more boring with it. Zep had their fingers in many different styles and girl's pussys.

So what defines rock and roll to you ?

If I'm honest I find it hard to explain. There are many sub genres but the image I have of rock n roll is people like bill hayley. Loud, rebellious music. But bands like zep can portray rock n roll. Its like what is metal? . I always looked at the stones as a rock n roll band instead of calling them rock. Either way its all good.

Yeah zep started out very bluesy and were very rock n roll with it, where as cream were blues but more boring with it. Zep had their fingers in many different styles and girl's pussys.

Rock and Roll has the distinctive beat and the dance of the 60s, with bands like,Bill Haley,Little Richard,Buddy Holly and instrumentals like  "let there be Drums","Topsy" and anything by Dwaine Eddy.

Blues is the music of the blacks in America and carried on by singers like Ella Fitzgerald,Louie Armstrong etc.

Rock and Roll has the distinctive beat and the dance of the 60s, with bands like,Bill Haley,Little Richard,Buddy Holly and instrumentals like "let there be Drums","Topsy" and anything by Dwaine Eddy.

Blues is the music of the blacks in America and carried on by singers like Ella Fitzgerald,Louie Armstrong etc.

Sorry mate, but that's so full of errors I'm not sure where to begin.
  • Like 1

In a nutshell: 

1940s - most US mainstream pop music was based around big band swing/jazz, but there was always an 'underground' of various folk forms - country/bluegrass in the white community, and blues (both electric/urban and acoustic/rural) among blacks. 

1950s - urban electric blues began to take on more pop/dance influences, and mutated into 'rhythm and blues'. The more commercial end of this became known as 'rock'n'roll' - people like Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, etc. Meanwhile, young whites like Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis took the same template and added in elements of country, extending the rock'n 'roll remit to a wider audience. 

By 1960, it was all over, with the charts dominated by blander pop music. 

In the early 1960s, British bands like the Beatles and Stones took in the rock'n'roll and r&b influences and exported it back to the US as 'beat' music. 

After the subsequent stylistic explosions of the 60s (folk rock, psychedelia, heavy metal, etc.), the whole area of 'hip' pop music got lumped into the wider term 'rock' - some people casually referring to same as 'rock'n'roll', despite its now considerable distance from the greasy kid stuff of the 1950s. And so it continues. 

So, rock'n'roll. It's either very specific, or it's generic. Take your pick. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Â